Stevens 410 Turkey Hunting

This year I decided to jump on the bandwagon with the smaller bore hunters and picked up a Stevens 301 Turkey in 410 a month ago. I've always been a 12 gauge hunter but after doing some researching on the little 410 and TSS I had to have one. Plus I loved the looks of the Bottomland Thumbhole Model.

I did some testing with the factory supplied choke and a Patternmaster Code Black Turkey. I tried two different types of the TSS which was the Federal #9's and the Salt Creek Customs #10. Both loads performed good out to 40 yards but the Salt Creek would put 130 shots in the 10 at 40 where the Federal did 94. The Patternmaster patterned the Federal better than the Factory Choke but was the complete opposite with the Salt Creek #10's.
So the setup I decided to hunt with was the Factory Choke paired with the Salt Creek #10.

Wednesday morning I got a chance to test the little 410 out on a nice thick roped East TN public land bird at 45 yards. Was a tad farther than I like shooting but had patterned the gun out to 40 and knew it was capable of ethically taking one at that distance. After lugging this little 410 around these past few days I don't think I'll ever break out the pumps again. Super light setup that shoulders nice and will flat do the job shooting TSS.

Compress_20230421_141136_6681.thumb.jpg.e8c4303524fd3c069435790426f180a0.jpg

Compress_20230421_141136_6378.thumb.jpg.af3f60ef43466b2bbd7cbfc0deda7727.jpg

Compress_20230421_141136_6545.jpg.9bdedcb318c646e16c2bd04b9e4589bc.jpg

• Like 3

I completed a grand slam with a Stevens .410 My set up is Indian Creek .390 with Foxtrot ammo 383 Strokers. I use the 9.5x10 blend. That setup will get you 180's to 200 in 10 inch circle at 40 yards. Great tom with a thick ol beard!!!!

• Like 2
14 hours ago, ShaunM said:

I completed a grand slam with a Stevens .410 My set up is Indian Creek .390 with Foxtrot ammo 383 Strokers. I use the 9.5x10 blend. That setup will get you 180's to 200 in 10 inch circle at 40 yards. Great tom with a thick ol beard!!!!

I ordered some of the Apex Turkey Ninjas to try out in the Patternmaster and Factory Choke. The Foxtrot is on my try out list as well. This 410 has took the place of my 12, my back sure appreciated it on these steep mountains I hunt up here. 

I gave my grandson a Stevens 410 my dad purchased for me in 1956 for my birthday. He has been squirrel hunting with it, and loved it, however he is like the younger generation and wants high horsepower for now. I know you guys know what I am saying, you may have even been there back then. He prefers his dads new Beretta 12 Ga for turkey hunting, well you know, it is heavy hitting. I was just like him at that age. Age has made many things different now. The 410 will kill them, but they need to be closer. About 35-40 yards is the limit for the 410, IMO. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 8:20 PM, Henry347 said:

I ordered some of the Apex Turkey Ninjas to try out in the Patternmaster and Factory Choke. The Foxtrot is on my try out list as well. This 410 has took the place of my 12, my back sure appreciated it on these steep mountains I hunt up here. 

Definitely try out the Foxtrot. 9.5x10 383 Strokers are awesome. The Legend loads are great too. The legend loads have a full ounce. I like the 9.5x10 in both the strokers and legends. Paired with a IC .390 choke its lights out.