Non-Toxic Weed Killer

The last few springs I've been trying to lessen my use of Roundup for general weed killing.  I have found a really good mixture that killed weeds better than anything last year.  Thought I'd share if anyone is interested:

• 1 cup of salt
  • 1 tablespoon Dawn dishwashing liquid
  • 1 gallon of white vinegar

Put all into a gallon sprayer and mix it up.  A gallon took care of my needs all last summer.

The stronger the vinegar you use the better it kills weeds.  I ordered 30% vinegar from Amazon:

Harris 30% Vinegar, Extra Strength with Easy Fill Funnel Included (Gallon (1-Pack)) - $24.99

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

One place we used to live had the best edged landscaping ever. I asked the grounds keeper what he used and he told me on the DL that it was diesel. It worked, but jeez. I like your suggestion a lot better. LOL

My wife used the salt/vinegar approach a few years ago and it kind of worked but not real long lasting and she ruined two of my sprayers before I realized it was very hard to get it all cleaned our and it corroded the guts of the spray head beyond use.

9 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

My wife used the salt/vinegar approach a few years ago and it kind of worked but not real long lasting and she ruined two of my sprayers before I realized it was very hard to get it all cleaned our and it corroded the guts of the spray head beyond use.

If you don't get the salt thoroughly dissolved in the vinegar, it will do exactly as you say.  I mixed my batch up last weekend and I've shaken it several times to ensure mixture before I will spray.  (Also awaiting the rain to pass in Nashville this weekend.)  

Can’t help with non toxic but I go to local Co. op. And buy glyphosate and mix in a two gallon sprayer. I mix it heavy it  kills all types of weeds  spray. a. couple of times a year   But it is very difficult toxic.   But works  I have used non toxic substances but they didn’t work. or didn’t last long.   Also I found at co.op Demon Max it is the only thing I use for pest control great for carpentry bees  wasps. 

Edited by Sleep profit

The salt, vinegar, Dawn mix is very akin to what lotsa railroad ROW contractors use for ROW weed spraying.  They use glacial acetic acid in place of vinegar and a wetting agent instead of Dawn..  It works well and is biodegradable...

leroy.

Edited by leroy
  • 3 weeks later...

I must not be doing it right...

I have a fence line in the back 40 that I fight with every year. It's always overgrown with these hellish thorn bush things and thorny blackberry bushes. They get me every time I mow past them. I want that fence line to be a wasteland, a foot on either side. After reading here about diesel being effective, and also reading more about it on Google, I was willing to give it a try. 

I got a couple gallons, put it in a sprayer and doused every living thing along that fence. Covered all the leaves, and gave a spritz to the ground as well. Several days later I could still see diesel residue on the leaves, but the weeds looked even healthier. So I gave them all another treatment. A week later and they are still going strong. AND to make matters worse, my entire back yard smells like a truck stop disaster.

So, what is the correct method for applying diesel, and why won't these weeds die?

Analog...

Got bad news for ya Brother... The diesel fuel or vinegar based stuff won't kill woody plants like brush n small trees.  Our guys used ta spray em with 2 4 5 T... Nasty stuff.  I ain't sure ya can get it anymore, even with the herbicide/poison training.  The vinegar based stuff will kill weeds, nothing more...

leroy...

5 hours ago, analog_kidd said:

I must not be doing it right...

I have a fence line in the back 40 that I fight with every year. It's always overgrown with these hellish thorn bush things and thorny blackberry bushes. They get me every time I mow past them. I want that fence line to be a wasteland, a foot on either side. After reading here about diesel being effective, and also reading more about it on Google, I was willing to give it a try. 

I got a couple gallons, put it in a sprayer and doused every living thing along that fence. Covered all the leaves, and gave a spritz to the ground as well. Several days later I could still see diesel residue on the leaves, but the weeds looked even healthier. So I gave them all another treatment. A week later and they are still going strong. AND to make matters worse, my entire back yard smells like a truck stop disaster.

So, what is the correct method for applying diesel, and why won't these weeds die?

Go to COOP get a jug of crossbow mix with water heavy on crossbow will kill it  

Edited by Sleep profit
  • Like 1

It's been a long time, but my recall is diesel goes in the ground at the base, not on the foliage. Any of the "brush killer" chemicals will knock it back, but it takes 1-2 weeks to start to see results and may take several applications. 

• Like 1

My Dad has a blowtorch like roofers use .  Used it in the gravel driveway and cracked sidewalks. Was always fun watching him. Wouldn’t recommend this on dry days or around the house. 

On 5/18/2023 at 4:00 PM, Sleep profit said:

Go to COOP get a jug of crossbow mix with water heavy on crossbow will kill it  

Yep. Glysophate kills weeds, but you have to mix a bit of Crossbow in it to get the briars, thistles, and small trees. It doesn’t take much.