What If Rifle...

Moped

What if we see a nationwide ban on semi-auto sporting rifles like the AR15/AK47, like what Washington State just enacted, in the next several years; what would be the next best self-defense/hunting rifle, in your opinion? What action and caliber would you choose? It probably should be compliant in all 50 states.

I'm interested to see your all's opinions on the rifles, not politics.

Edited by Moped

Well, a levergun in .357 or 44mag with a 16” barrel would be a good choice. Faster to cycle than a bolt action. An older Remington semiautomatic (model 81 or model 750) in 30.06 or .35 Remington would be good as well.

The lever gun in a pistol caliber will hold more rounds. 

• Like 1

I could see a ban on Sporting rifles extend to all magazine fed semi-automatic rifles. I mean, it makes sense if you are really trying to stop the dangerous use of that style rifle. We all know that, functionality wise, there is not much difference between an AR/AK and a ‘Mini14/30. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

I could see a ban on Sporting rifles extend to all magazine fed semi-automatic rifles. I mean, it makes sense if you are really trying to stop the dangerous use of that style rifle. We all know that, functionality wise, there is not much difference between an AR/AK and a ‘Mini14/30. 

Much in the same way banning meth and pot stops meth and pot usage

• Like 7
53 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Mini 14/Mini30?

I guess I should have been clearer. I really meant to say like the ban Washington State just enacted. They basically banned all semi-autos and even went to far as to name them. You won't even be able to get repair parts for them.

But if the Mini-14/30 were not banned, then I would think this would be the way to go, even though I think they are crappy rifles, based on the two that I owned back in the 90s. Neither would group worth a crap after 10 or 15 rounds.

I had a Marlin 336 (.30-30) that I put a Williams peep sight on. It was a great deer gun in the thick and swampy piney woods of my youth.

For S's & G's I ran it through a few short course stages, close to intermediate range. It held it's on against AR's/AK's (we shot a lot of AK's back then) until it was time to reload. Even loading off a butt-cuff it was still slow.

But, if I could not have an AR or an AK a lever gun would certainly suffice.

I agree with others that a pistol caliber could be an advantage. But if such legislation comes down the pike I would think it would target capacity as one of it's primary restrictions. Certainly hope not...but hope isn't a good plan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Moped said:

...But if the Mini-14/30 were not banned, then I would think this would be the way to go, even though I think they are crappy rifles, based on the two that I owned back in the 90s. Neither would group worth a crap after 10 or 15 rounds.

Yeah, my 80's vintage was a dog as far as accuracy goes, but it did always go "bang"! This meme is just about the dang truth!

mini14Humor.png

Edited by OMCHamlin
3 hours ago, Snaveba said:

Well, a levergun in .357 or 44mag with a 16” barrel would be a good choice. Faster to cycle than a bolt action. An older Remington semiautomatic (model 81 or model 750) in 30.06 or .35 Remington would be good as well.

The lever gun in a pistol caliber will hold more rounds. 

2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I'd also go with a pistol caliber lever gun. Preferably a 16" Trapper model. Short, light, fast and easy to handle. Plus you can top off the magazine as you go. 

15 minutes ago, Jamie Jackson said:

I had a Marlin 336 (.30-30) that I put a Williams peep sight on. It was a great deer gun in the thick and swampy piney woods of my youth.

For S's & G's I ran it through a few short course stages, close to intermediate range. It held it's on against AR's/AK's (we shot a lot of AK's back then) until it was time to reload. Even loading off a butt-cuff it was still slow.

But, if I could not have an AR or an AK a lever gun would certainly suffice.

I agree with others that a pistol caliber could be an advantage. But if such legislation comes down the pike I would think it would target capacity as one of it's primary restrictions. Certainly hope not...but hope isn't a good plan.

I actually, have this very rifle.  It's a Rossi M92 in .38/.357 with a 16" barrel. Love shooting it!

Another rifle, I'm actually considering purchasing is a Ruger Ranch rifle in 5.56x45 NATO. As soon as I find one, I plan to purchase it. I plan on putting a RDS on it. I could see this possibly being a better choice, due to a longer range round. The fact that it could also take AR mags is a plus, since I have several 10 round AR mags.  I think this would be compliant in pretty much every state.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I may be misremembering off the top of my head - but weren’t the minis included in the ‘94 ban?

I think they were. 

I know the darn mags were. They were crazy expensive during the ban. No flash hider either. At least for the one I owned prior to the ban.

@Moped

I wouldn't mind having a Rossi. Especially since I handload. 

But the Ruger American Ranch makes sense because I have more AR mags than good sense. 

• Haha 1

I have a Ruger Ranch Rifle in 223/556. It is the second generation and is accurate for what it is. By no means a tack driver at 100 yards, but much better accuracy than the first generation of Mimi 14's. 

If I were purchasing for the "bans," I would go with a good lever gun in 38/357 and a good Revolver of the same caliber. I think that is the safest bet, however if they go after repeaters then the lever gun may be in danger. 

I just purchased a new 656 7 shot revolver 3" brl and wanted an 8 shot with a 5" brl. They didn't have a SW 8 shot in stock. Had a Taurus Tracker ported 5" but I didn't feel it. I do like the new 7 shot with 3" brl, and have had it out 2 times now and it is sweet. Don't like the stupid Clinton lock though.   

Edited to add; I just ordered a new black leather belt slide/paddle holster, from Galco, for the 3" SW Revolver. Gotta have some way to carry the Revolver. 

Edited by pop pop
On 4/30/2023 at 12:49 PM, MacGyver said:

I may be misremembering off the top of my head - but weren’t the minis included in the ‘94 ban?

I think the mini 14 was exempt from the '94 ban. Wikipedia (I know, what a trustworthy source 🤣) agrees: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban.

I guess the mini 14 wasn't scary enough to be banned - or politics came into play...

When I started this thread, I was thinking about the newly passed Washington State Assault Rifle legislation.

You can read the full text of the law here.  https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2023-24/Pdf/Bills/House Passed Legislature/1240-S.PL.pdf#page=1

Surprisingly, the Ruger Mini rifles are not named, nor are M1 Carbines, or M1 Garands. However the Springfield Armory M1A and all it's forms and the SKS is (honestly, this makes zero sense to me). Nor are most U.S. produced PCCs.