S&W model 53 in 22Jet

Gurn

Any of you ever had one? I’m getting one from a friend dirt cheap. This one has spent it’s life as a tackle box  - tool box gun. It’s had a hard life but functions good with a good bore. 

28598B7E-4E7F-461D-92A1-040C66FADCF6.jpeg

AEC3FB30-C66C-430D-B796-F6906D4756CA.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice grab Gurn ! Despite the cosmetic misfortune it's had over the years they are still an odd bird in the S&W world. I sold my last one to another local collector who had to have it more than me. Let me know if you need any ammo for it. I'm sure theres a little bit still laying around here somewhere.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I wept when I saw those pictures.

Geeze... Sarah McLaughlin music should be playing in the background... 😪

6 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

Nice grab Gurn ! Despite the cosmetic misfortune it's had over the years they are still an odd bird in the S&W world. I sold my last one to another local collector who had to have it more than me. Let me know if you need any ammo for it. I'm sure theres a little bit still laying around here somewhere.

Thanks, I was just planning on using the 22lr inserts until I find some 22Jet.  Would be great if you did find a few laying around. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Thanks, I was just planning on using the 22lr inserts until I find some 22Jet.  Would be great if you did find a few laying around. 

I'll look around for some.

• Thanks 1

I've found a couple that I like, trying to figure out what one if the three I found forsale that I want. That one has seen some better days, but at least it functions properly and you don't have to worry about scratching that one.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

OH! That poor gun! 😪

At least it is functional and you do have the .22LR inserts so that's in your favor. 

I think I'd make a project of that and refinish it. Certainly couldn't hurt. 🙄

Yeah I was thinking about trying a Duracoat product.  A dark military parkerized kind of look maybe. There’s no collector value to worry about at this point.  

If you wanted to spend the money, OLD SOUTH RESTORATION in Dyersburg TN. they specialize in accurate Factory Re-Bluing of Colts, Smith&Wesson, Winchester's check them out even if you don't want to restore it. 

www.oldsouthrestoration.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd re-blue it. I've had excellent results using a product called Blue Wonder. But you will need a hair drier or heat gun to warm the parts before applying the new finish.  There are videos on the internet to show you just how its done.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I'd re-blue it. I've had excellent results using a product called Blue Wonder. But you will need a hair drier or heat gun to warm the parts before applying the new finish.  There are videos on the internet to show you just how its done.  

The pitting, dings, and scratches on this specimen are going to make that difficult.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Still researching, haven’t decided yet. May try a few different things on some rusted pitted metal old tools and scraps of pitted metal and see what works best. I do think I want the end result to look like a military black or dark gray park. 

8 minutes ago, derf said:

Would make a nice platform for engraving and rebluing. 

I actually thought that myself but then when I did a little research on the price for custom engraving ($ 2,000 and up) I realized that wasn’t going to happen. Unless I find a talented student of the art that wants to give it a shot.