What's So Special About . . .

The one coming to the Sevierville exit is a curse for the entire east tn area. I passed them in Texas 10+ years ago with little desire to stop. The gas pump island that seems to never end is an impressive sight though. And being a fan of brisket I researched deep enough to find out it's more like gas station sushi and less like Tx roadside smoked meat lol. And then there is the bucees nuggets that get mentioned a lot. I guess it's worth a visit if for nothing more than saying you been. I've passed the Crossville location numerous times and never stopped. Usually I stop across the road at the Pilot for my coffee and to top the tank. If and when you do go @Luckyforwardbe sure to get your pic taken with Bucee and post it here 🙂

Edited by FUJIMO
  • Like 3

It's a neat stop if you're passing by. I wouldn't make a special trip for it.

Custom foods, lots of branded apparel. Gas pumps as far as the eye can see. Get yourself some chocolate covered almonds. They're solid. I don't get people's love for the beaver nuggets...

• Like 2

It's basically what you get if you breed a Cracker Barrel country store with a giant gas station. It's a great place to people watch and the food is decent. 

Fuel prices are typically a few cents cheaper at the neighboring gas stations. Now that I've seen two, I hope to avoid them in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Admin Team
Just now, Garufa said:

I understand they have an impressive selection of beef jerky.  I’d like to check that out.

My children can vouch for it - not that they're particularly discerning connoisseurs.

They do make a good brisket sandwich.  I bet they go through 100 lbs of brisket an hour in there.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Ethanol free gas was only a nickel higher than regular unleaded with ethanol. I don’t know how they can do that while it’s about a roller higher everywhere else you find it.

Wow. Are you sure? That's hard to believe. I usually pay almost $1.00 more per gallon around here. 

• Like 1

Unless I missed it, I didn't see any comments about the bathrooms.     The cleanest public restrooms you'll ever run across and probably cleaner than some home bathrooms.    The number of urinals and stalls almost rivals the gas pumps.     

• Like 4

I got a bag of beaver nuggets for Christmas. They have similar addictive characteristics to crack cocaine.

If they come to M'boro, I'd make a trip just for the beef jerky I keep hearing about.

The wife and I stopped at the one in Crossville a week or so ago for S&G (me), and I filled up the truck.  I saw a sticker/notice on the pump that indicated there were over 200 gas pumps at this location but I did not bother to count them for accuracy.  Wife went in to use the bathroom and came right back out.  I went to the bathroom after I gassed up, and had the immediate thought of a gas station with a mini-walmart attached to it.  It was crowded inside the store and outside at the pumps.  I did walk thru the store to get a sense of it all, and I also knew that the truck was parked at the end of the store, so went into the store from the other end just to get some exercise.  

I've thought that the new one being built in Sevierville will just make exit 407 worse than it already is, with the backward lane crossovers, etc.  Sevier Co Sherriff's Dept will need a FT person there for traffic control and accident reporting.  

• Like 1

If you head south on I-65, there's one not too far south of the TN state line at Athens, AL.   The brisket sandwich is great for gas station food and I would rate it good in general.  Bun is a bit thick and too much BBQ sauce for my taste.  Of course I have high standards for brisket as Shaffer's is local.

The beaver nuggets remind me of corn pops cereal with a very thin coating of caramel.  I wasn't overly impressed with the bakery, although the fudge is very good but expensive at $3.73 per piece.  You can buy a box and get 6 for the price of 4.  The best thing I had from there (by far) is the honey roasted cashews.  My son (more of a foodie than I) said it was fun stopping by, but would not go out of his way.  Texted me later and said he'd changed his mind as the jerky was worth a trip back.

Regular gas in this area is $3.15.  Bucee's was $2.79.

My biggest gripe was the traffic. Getting in and out is bad enough, but the parking lot is ridiculous.  Most of the people on foot don't even look if there is a car coming.  My advice is avoid it on the weekends.  I talked to one of the guys at the checkout for a bit and he said it's a lot less crowded (but still busy) on weekdays.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Garufa said:

I understand they have an impressive selection of beef jerky.  I’d like to check that out.

We can’t explain it, you really need to see it in person. Imagine a giant 50-60’ long butcher’s case completely filled with every kind of jerky known to man.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1