What's So Special About . . .

Supposedly we are going to get one in Clarksville near Exit one next year. I am dreading that big time ! We are too overpopulated to begin with and adding a BucCee's at exit one will cause nothing but car crashes all day and night long. I work at least one crash there a week and that's not counting what other units work. The gas pumps lined up in a row looks like it's as long as a drag -strip.  I talked to one of the workers at the BucCee's in Leed's Alabama  and he told me they had 221 individual gas pumps !  The only plus for me is that the bathrooms are so clean you can eat off the floor. They have one guy that does nothing but clean the bathroom I think. 

• Admin Team
3 hours ago, Garufa said:

It’s rare that my cheeks touch a public commode but y’all are making think me think it’s road trip time.  

Individual stall rooms.  White noise generators.  I’ve never been in one where there hasn’t been at least one person in there cleaning.

Their restrooms are obviously a choice that they’ve looked at from a business perspective and said, “yeah do more of that.”

And then they’ve taken that same dynamic and applied it every to literally every single thing on the property. 

• Like 2

Well, aside from using this thread to wail on what they've done to quaint little old (LOL!) Sevierville, I must say that IF you are near one and the crowd is at an ebb, I'd stop in and check it out. Seems like the gas is a little cheaper and SOME of the food (including the brisket) is pretty good. It's all overpriced though. I say that living within 10 miles of the Crossville one.

13 hours ago, BigK said:

My skepticism is higher than ever after all the Whataburger let-down.

Ain't that the truth. 🙄 We had What-A-Burgers in Memphis when I was a kid. I loved 'em! So when they came back just recently, I got all excited. I've eaten at the new one once. I won't be going back. 💩

• Like 1

One thing I noticed last time is that I don't think they list their fuel price up on a big sign. Probably because they aren't the cheapest around. I couldn't find the price listed until I was at my individual pump. 

I also judge a place based on the quality of their windshield brushes but I was so distracted by the size of the place I can't recall seeing theirs. 

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Ok. I’ve not yet eaten at a Whataburger in Tennessee. The ones I’ve tried in Alabama and Florida were very good. Perhaps there is a difference?

I've only had it twice. Just tasted like shoddy mustard to me. I suppose it will do in a pinch, but it wasn't anything to write home about.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Erik88 said:

One thing I noticed last time is that I don't think they list their fuel price up on a big sign. Probably because they aren't the cheapest around. I couldn't find the price listed until I was at my individual pump. 

I also judge a place based on the quality of their windshield brushes but I was so distracted by the size of the place I can't recall seeing theirs. 

IIRC they had the good long handled versions with fresh wash. For now at least, they take immaculate care of the place.

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Ok. I’ve not yet eaten at a Whataburger in Tennessee. The ones I’ve tried in Alabama and Florida were very good. Perhaps there is a difference?

I gotta agree with @NoBanStan on the mustard part. I love mustard, but they drowned my burger in mustard. They way people talked them up, I thought I'd hear angels sing when I took a bite, LOL. Good, not great.

• Haha 2

The original What-A-Burger from the 60s-70s was famous because they were huge! The thing would take up an entire plate. Plus they were very tasty. Grilled just right. This new version ain't no bigger than any other fast food burger and doesn't taste any better. And the service was slow to boot. I was very disappointed. I won't bother going  back. 🙁

16 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

The original What-A-Burger from the 60s-70s was famous because they were huge! The thing would take up an entire plate. Plus they were very tasty. Grilled just right. This new version ain't no bigger than any other fast food burger and doesn't taste any better. And the service was slow to boot. I was very disappointed. I won't bother going  back. 🙁

As a kid, i thoguht it was "water burger".  But instead of asking, i just tried to puzzle out how anyone would enjoy a soaking wet burger and bun. A literal soup sandwich.

• Haha 1

I prefer Culver's burgers and milkshakes. For me, the unique favor of Culver's burgers paired with a Vanilla milkshake with fries tastes great to me.

I have not eaten a What-A-Burger nor In-n-Out burgers in order to compare with Culver's burgers.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
14 hours ago, No_0ne said:

I never realized it was possible to be a connoisseur of gas station cuisine ...

I’ve been one since I was a teenager. It prepared me well for life as a truck driver. 

In other words y’all gave me a hankering so I braved the hell that is the 310 exit off of 75 in Adairsville, GA just so I could walk across the street to the Buccees here. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’ve been one since I was a teenager. It prepared me well for life as a truck driver. 

In other words y’all gave me a hankering so I braved the hell that is the 310 exit off of 75 in Adairsville, GA just so I could walk across the street to the Buccees here. 😅

Pics or it didn't happen

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

We need a report on the bathroom conditions. 

• Haha 3