Explain your handle

derf

4 hours ago, Luckyforward said:

AOL . . . that takes me back to Netscape and my Gateway 5000.

I feel so old . . . LOL

you weren't rocking compuserve with a 9800baud?

I got lucky that my first PC was a packard bell Pentium 1. It had 1mb of video memory with a sticker that said (upgradable to 2!). 14.4 modem... it was the bees knees

On 5/11/2023 at 7:18 PM, derf said:

My younger sister called me Fred Sanford because I was always trading something, guns, boats, cars, etc. She took Fred and spelled it backwards to call me Derf instead. She has called me this for 30+ years now. 

I like Fred, that was a kick ass show in the 70's

Parents always told me to be good, my name is John aka Johnny, I was always bad so took Rotten was a nickname.

Edited by Johnny Rotten
3 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

you weren't rocking compuserve with a 9800baud?

I got lucky that my first PC was a packard bell Pentium 1. It had 1mb of video memory with a sticker that said (upgradable to 2!). 14.4 modem... it was the bees knees

What a bunch of younguns... 🙂 

My first modem was 300 baud. It was just slightly better than two dixie cups and a string!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
On 5/12/2023 at 1:39 PM, monkeylizard said:

Same for me, but not AOL. I wanted a Star Wars handle back in the early days of the Interwebz, but of course all the common characters were taken and I didn't want to be BobaFett3728 or Vader7561. I landed on monkeylizard as the first obscure SW thing I could find that wasn't already taken. It's what Jabba the Hutt's pet thing is.

bkowakian-monkey-lizard-salacious-crumb-

Thanks for that explanation. I had something totally different in mind!

Off on a wild tanget here...Does anyone remember when Jim Henson did his puppets on the original Saturday Night Live? 

Comments below are a mix of my origional, and new info I found today. Sorry for my mistakes at first rememberance.

The  Mighty Flavog is what I remember most from it. Looks like your spidermonkey/monkey lizard is based on one of his characters. 

The skits were awesome. Sadly, Lorne Michaels owns the rights to those shows and refuses to release the Henson skits. At least that's what I got when delving into it several years ago. Probably need to check again.  

Edited...Found some info on the Land of Gorch skits in the first season of SNL. Tells a little more than I remembered. Doesn't corrabate what I said of Lorne Michaels and Henson. But it was something I read somewhere in articles about SNL. Either way, I liked the skits and would like to see them all again.

Still looking on utube. Finding a few, but not all.

Edited by hipower
1 hour ago, hipower said:

Thanks for that explanation. I had something totally different in mind!

The Great Pravad is what I remember most from it. Looks like your spidermonkey/monkey lizard is based on one of his characters.

First . . .I want to know what you had in mind  😄

Jim Henson wasn't directly involved in anything Star Wars, but he influenced it for sure. Lucas wanted him, but he was busy and referred Lucas to Frank Oz (Yoda). Oz and many of the other puppeteers in the late 70s and 80s all ran in the same circles, especially those at the top of their craft who would be working on feature films. Several (Oz for sure) were apprentices of Henson so his style influenced their own designs. I've always thought there was some resemblance between the monkeylizard puppet and some of them from Henson's The Dark Crystal.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
Just now, monkeylizard said:

First . . .I want to know what you had in mind  😄

Jim Henson wasn't directly involved in anything Star Wars, but he influenced it for sure. Lucas wanted him, but he was busy and referred Lucas to Frank Oz (Yoda). Oz and many of the other puppeteers in the late 70s and 80s all ran in the same circles, especially those at the top of their craft who would be working on feature films. Several (Oz for sure) were apprentices of Henson so his style influenced their own designs. I've always thought there was some resemblance between the monkeylizard puppet and some of them from Henson's The Dark Crystal.

Yes, I thought of The Dark Crystal as well. An excellent movie I watch several times a year.

As far as the spidermonkey references, I am a comics guy from way, way back. In the dim past, I ran across a some things that featured bizarre  genetic creatures. Sort of like the Island of Doctor Moreau. It had all sorts of combos in it. Your handle and this thread just reminded me of it. If I should run across it, I'll try to get an image to you. I will caution you not to hold your breath on it, I am pretty slow these days. But will look as I go thru them. Hoping to sell them off.

4 hours ago, bubbadavis said:

My first modem was 300 baud. It was just slightly better than two dixie cups and a string!

oh I go back to commodore experience. That P1 is the first i actually owned 😄

• Like 2

My BFs mom growing up was a school teacher and his dad a college professor. I remember her bringing home some little computer at some point (had to be the late 70’s) that pretty much would let your code Basic. It used a cassette tape player for a hard drive. 

his dad did get a Mac when they came out to work in his book. (English history professor at Vanderbilt)

Edited by Snaveba

I first computer was a IBM XT Clone, that I bought at Service Merchandise with an Amber screen CRT. I used it to write my than girl friend's computer programs for college. She's now my wife. 🙂 

• Administrator
14 hours ago, bubbadavis said:

My first computer was a Commodore 64 with a 1541 floppy drive.  I bought a 110 baud acoustic coupler modem for it with money that I made from mowing relatives' lawns.  Later I got a 300 baud modem for and it started running a BBS at night on the family phone line.  My parents barely tolerated that by unplugging their other phones.

My first PC was an 8088XT clone, then an 80286, a 80386, 80486 and finally into the world of Pentiums.  Somewhere in there I started another BBS running on a single dedicated phone line and eventually I had four lines on a BBS before the Internet took over.

And then... forums!

Such a damned nerd. 😂

Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
34 minutes ago, TGO David said:

My first computer was a Commodore 64 with a 1541 floppy drive.  I bought a 110 baud acoustic coupler modem for it with money that I made from mowing relatives' lawns.  Later I got a 300 baud modem for and it started running a BBS at night on the family phone line.  My parents barely tolerated that by unplugging their other phones.

I wish I still had my C64. I went straight to a 286 in the PC world when I went to college. 

I learned to program on the C64 (BASIC and assembly) which helped setup my career path. I absolutely fall into the nerd category myself. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, bersaguy said:

The only thing I miss about the old days was when I would turn my computer on I would be greeted with YOU GOT MAIL!!!!

I put the AOL "You've Got Mail" notification on my phone for when it get an email on one of my Gmail accounts.

• Like 4