What can you tell me about Nickajack Lake?

We’re planning a trip next month and this made the short list. We’ve never spent any time there so all suggestions are welcome.

Wife wouldn’t mind going back to the lost airline baggage store in Scottsboro, and I wouldn’t king catching some fish.

Aside from Chattanooga, what else should I see in the area?

We’ve been to Lake Guntersville. The upper end is like fishing in a flooded hay field. I’m no opposed to trying the lower end which appears to actually contain water.

Edited by gregintenn

Lake Fontana in North Carolina has made the list as well if you have any insight in to that. Other suggestions are welcome as well. I have faith in you guys!

The trip to Norris Lake last year was awesome if that helps describe what we’re looking for.

Edited by gregintenn

I lived close to Fontana for several years.  Never fished it.  Pretty lake.  The dam and spillways are an engineering marvel.  I know a lot of people from East Tennessee would make the trip over to Fontana to fish.  There are also several other worthy lakes downstream from Fontana.  I always wanted to fish Calderwood, if for no other reason than the solitude, I've heard it's difficult to fish because it gets deep quickly and there is supposedly a lack of structure.  I've also heard of giant lake trout coming out of there.  If you are making the trip might as well hit up Fontana and Calderwood. 

• Like 1

You need to take a trip through the gorge by boat. It's a awesome sight. Read about the history of Haletown before you go and then check out the old power house by the Hales Bar Marina. There is a lot of interesting history there. There is also a cave (fenced off, can't go inside) you can go to by boat near the dam that has a endangered species of bats. There is a water front restaurant in Chattanooga you can go to by boat that's pretty good. I think it may be called scotties but not sure about that. It's been several years since I've been there. I'm pretty sure Hales Bar Marina has a restaurant. I know they did 17 years ago when I brought a boat from Chattanooga to Ky lake. I docked there the first night.

Edited by -boatman-
Added info.
  • Like 2

I can’t tell you much about Lake Fontana and fishing but Fontana dam is most impressive.  It’s the tallest dam in the eastern US with a fantastic view of the mountains.  The only bad thing about it is getting there…you’ve got to tame The Dragon.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I am confused. Are you going to Chattanooga, or North Carolina? Or both? By motorcycle or by vehicle? 

Have you already driven the Cherohala Skyway?

Haven’t decided where, but I’d tow my boat to either of these places. I have ridden the skyway, or at least part of it.

49 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Haven’t decided where, but I’d tow my boat to either of these places. I have ridden the skyway, or at least part of it.

Gotcha. Have you looked at Watauga Lake in farr east TN? It looks amazing. 

Douglas lake is also very nice if you haven't been. Similar to Norris. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Lake Fontana in North Carolina has made the list as well if you have any insight in to that. Other suggestions are welcome as well. I have faith in you guys!

The trip to Norris Lake last year was awesome if that helps describe what we’re looking for.

Nothin prettier than Fontana Brother.  It looks a lot like Norris, only steeper n more remote.   Ain't sure about the fishing.  Hiwassee looks a lot like Fontana as well...

leroy...

• Like 1

Fished Nickajack all my young life.  My Grandfather had a farm on the Sequatchie River that flowed into the Tennessee below Nickajack.  

Lately the lake is a lot shallower than it used to be.  Sedimentation has been a problem with a lot of the best fishing spots now turning into marshland.

• Like 1

If you end up going to Fontana to fish gear up for some very exciting Smallmouth Bass angling for sure. I have a buddy that can walk out his back door and go about 50 feet and throw rocks off the cliff into Lake Fontana. He has invited me down a dozen times and I could never find time to go and Now I have the time and my health won't allow it. Back when I was in the bait business he was a regular customer and we became good friends. If you decide to go to Fontana let me know and I will call him and find out what baits the big Smallmouths are biting on for you.

• Like 1

It’s strange to me to think about going on vacation to Nickajack/Hale’s Bar. I’ve lived around the area most of my life. The restaurants are very average and all maintain some weird hours. 

The unclaimed baggage in Scottsboro isn’t what it used to be. A friend of mine e says employees, family members, and friends all pretty much get to pick through stuff before it goes on the floor.

Edited by Patton
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

+1 to Hiawasee Georgia. Pretty area and a nice lake.

I lived in Hiawassee Ga for years. Lake Chatuge is a great lake. It is in GA and NC. I used to keep a camper setup right on the water until I bought a house on the lake. Some great campgrounds and good fishing. 

• Like 1

I surely appreciate all the suggestions. We’ve been fortunate enough to visit some amazing places. Many aren’t real well know. Several of which you guys have turned me on to.

Beautiful scenery, historic significance, and no crowds are my criteria.

Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming please! Maybe someone else could benefit as well.

On 5/20/2023 at 5:46 PM, Garufa said:

I can’t tell you much about Lake Fontana and fishing but Fontana dam is most impressive.  It’s the tallest dam in the eastern US with a fantastic view of the mountains.  The only bad thing about it is getting there…you’ve got to tame The Dragon.

You have to tame my exwife?

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Now here’s a turn of events. I think she’s decided on Pickwick. I’ve certainly never been there. If you have suggestions for places to see, places to eat, how to catch Fisk, etc., I would be grateful.

Y’all trading the podunks for the boondocks?  Haven’t been there since I was a kid but the Shiloh National Military Park is not too far away.  There was a significant battle fought there at one time.

https://www.nps.gov/shil/index.htm

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, Garufa said:

Y’all trading the podunks for the boondocks?  Haven’t been there since I was a kid but the Shiloh National Military Park is not too far away.  There was a significant battle fought there at one time.

Well, crowds really aren’t my thing. Sounds like my kind of place. We’ll go check out the battlefield. Thanks!

TVA campground at Pickwick is nice, I personally don't care for the sites at the state park.

A lot of people fish at the spillway area of the dam. Good catfish restaurants around but will require a little driving.

Battlefield is close and very peaceful especially during the week.

• Like 1
On 6/2/2023 at 6:42 PM, Garufa said:

Man, you were right! Ain’t much there. Fish weren’t biting either. It was still nice to get away. You can’t hardly get there from here either. We found some really cool restaurants down there.

Edited by gregintenn

We’ve sort of been on a kick of seeing all we can of Tennessee. It makes for neat and inexpensive short trips. We’ve been to Reelfoot, LBL, Pickwick, Montgomery Bell, and Jackson. I think that will about do us for West Tennessee. We’ve seen most of Middle Tennessee, and a lot of the Smoky Mountains and surrounding areas in Southeasr Tennessee. I think we’ll focus on Northeast Tennessee next. I sure appreciate all the suggestions you guys provide.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Have you been to Norris Lake?  Deep, clear water.  Great boating and fishing.

We went last year and stayed at the cabins at the dam. Loved it. We intend to go to Big Ridge park on the upper end of the lake sometime.

Wifey says the next trip is to Mackinac Island. 😲

Edited by gregintenn