Shoot at night?

A buddy of mine thinks it's okay to shoot to scare off coyote and deer (from his garden) at night. I am having trouble finding the law, but I told him that I'm pretty sure it's illegal. Is that right?

Edited by Ehunt

I wouldn’t think it would be illegal to discharge a firearm at night (unless it is not allowed at all in his local) as long as he isn’t hunting. However, I think you might can shoot coyotes at night (don’t quote me on that). Deer, I don’t think he can shoot one at night. 

• Like 1

Yea, no not hunting. Deer got into his garden and he chased them off at 9pm with a 1911🤣, and shot two rounds into the ground. He llives out in the sticks. But I don't know, I figured the it's illegal, Sheriff of Game Wordens would get real mad about that at least I figure. Not sure if there would be legal issues. But wanted to give accurate advice. 

Edited by Ehunt

I use to have that problem back when I had a garden and lived in a city that outlawed the discharge of a fire arm so I went and bought some 380 fire crackers and would throw them in the direction of the garden and ended my critter problem....😄

• Haha 1

Shouldn’t be a problem at all so long as the county doesn’t have gun or noise restrictions. If he accidentally hits a deer, that’s illegal. I think TN does have varmint laws where you can hunt some nuisance critters at night. I’d call his local TWRA office to be sure. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Ehunt said:

He llives out in the sticks.

Here is all the info needed. He is with in his right to keep his garden from being eaten by anything but himself.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, MuchThoughts said:

Shouldn’t be a problem at all so long as the county doesn’t have gun or noise restrictions. If he accidentally hits a deer, that’s illegal. I think TN does have varmint laws where you can hunt some nuisance critters at night. I’d call his local TWRA office to be sure. 

Thanks. I'll look into that.

On 5/21/2023 at 11:44 PM, Grayfox54 said:

I do remember reading stories of people using night vision scopes to hunt coyotes, feral pigs and other varmints at night. Can't swear if its legal in Tennessee though. 🙄

It isn't according to: 

https://www.tn.gov/twra/guide/hunting-regulations.html

It also seems that in 2020, TN voted down night hunting of coyotes in general https://newschannel9.com/sports/outdoors/tenn-wildlife-commission-votes-down-nighttime-coyote-hunting

• Love 1
On 5/23/2023 at 8:46 AM, NoBanStan said:

It isn't according to: 

https://www.tn.gov/twra/guide/hunting-regulations.html

It also seems that in 2020, TN voted down night hunting of coyotes in general https://newschannel9.com/sports/outdoors/tenn-wildlife-commission-votes-down-nighttime-coyote-hunting

Thanks for looking those up! I believe that was what I was thinking about. Hinting Coyotes at night isn't allowed. So I can only assume that discharging a firearm at night is also not permitted, unless in self-defense of course. Thanks again NoBanStan.

• Like 1

I asked a LEO I know. He wasn't sure, but pointed out that people hunt turkey and deer in the dark hours of the morning...

So if you're in the county, on private property, perhaps it IS ok to pop off a shot?

Personally, it sketches me out.

• Like 1

I have a 100 acres of county property consisting of rich old forests, hidden valleys & glens, a cave system, multi-spring fed creek, and 8 houses.  Last year I completed the lengthly project of putting long range high resolution- color nightvision wifi cameras on everything that I have.  With the entire network being wifi based, everything is now accessible via any device than I have- no matter where I may be.  Unintended consequence:  My Mother and Wife now watch from afar these feeds and activity alerts like it’s Animal Planet and enjoy frightening off the deer, coyotes, bobcats, etc with the intercom systems and built-in remote alarms.  They are totally addicted to this & based on their “trophy videos” that I review daily, this is very effective.  I personally would prefer an approach more akin to making rugs out of them, but admittedly this is funny videos to watch over and over.  If anyone is interested, “Eufy” is the brand that I use, as they are state of the art, very inexpensive, and require no subscription or any of that craziness.  

Edited by CMDRStormBorn
On 5/24/2023 at 9:14 AM, Ehunt said:

…. Hinting Coyotes at night isn't allowed. So I can only assume that discharging a firearm at night is also not permitted, unless in self-defense of course…..

Ehunt, that seems like a big legal leap from “can’t hunt coyotes at night” to “assume discharging a firearm at night is also not permitted…”, why would you go from a game law to a noise ordinance?

(ETA; If ANY night shooting incident is going to get scrutinized really HARD, it will be a self defense shooting.)

I say that because I happen to live out in the county, in rural/pasture land, with neighbors that are gun folk and far enough away to not be bothered either way. I have a 35-40 yd range that  is bermed in and falls in a small valley (also on my property with a margin). I don’t make a habit of it, but I have done an occasional “night fire” early in the evening to check out a light/laser/night sights combo after dark, within the bounds of decency. Should a deputy have come seen me out here? If he did, what would he say to me?

Edited by OMCHamlin
10 minutes ago, hipower said:

Off track a bit, but...you guys have any comments on the FB theories that spreading Irish Spring soap will stop deer from eating fowers and garden plants?

Tempted to try it with her new flower bed.

I've heard 30.06 works pretty well.  Just kidding...kinda.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 5/24/2023 at 2:08 PM, OMCHamlin said:

Ehunt, that seems like a big legal leap from “can’t hunt coyotes at night” to “assume discharging a firearm at night is also not permitted…”, why would you go from a game law to a noise ordinance?

(ETA; If ANY night shooting incident is going to get scrutinized really HARD, it will be a self defense shooting.)

I say that because I happen to live out in the county, in rural/pasture land, with neighbors that are gun folk and far enough away to not be bothered either way. I have a 35-40 yd range that  is bermed in and falls in a small valley (also on my property with a margin). I don’t make a habit of it, but I have done an occasional “night fire” early in the evening to check out a light/laser/night sights combo after dark, within the bounds of decency. Should a deputy have come seen me out here? If he did, what would he say to me?

I was just wondering.