Ford vs Chevy vs GMC (not an argument thread!)

I am a die hard Bow Tie man. Spent 3 years looking for a 3/4 ton, 2 door, long bed, white 4 x 4, gas V8, GMC or Chevy truck. Yes I am a bit picky. I did find "my" truck in Columbis KY, a 2016 GMC with 45,000 miles, plain Jane interior. Paid a fair price, that was in 2021. It gets 14 MPG, loaded, empty, raw-hided, or grand paw driven.  It is "my" truck, wife hates it, rides to hard for her. I did put a receiver hitch on the front to use a winch plate. My trick did come with a nice fiberglass topper.

Think hard about what you are going use the truck for, me was hauling for my self, mostly fire wood, we burn wood for heat.

As far as who says what about lasting, take it all in and with a grain of salt. All the trucks makers have issues.

Get "your Truck" in mind. Take you time, look hard and everywhere, that means out side of TN.

I stayed away from all the fancy doodads, power locks is all mine has, and the passenger door has stopped working.

Edited by RED333
Because I can

I’ve driven a GMC for a decade. Not going to say it was entirely a good experience (engine rebuild, suspension problems, etc.) but it has not soured me on them forever. I wanted to move down to a midsized since most of the time I just drive around by myself with no cargo, and was excited about the new Colorado. Unfortunately, weighs the same as a Silverado, equivalent gas mileage, and over $50k out the door. It seems Chevy has no interest in an entry level truck anymore.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I wouldn’t consider $37,300 a “basic truck”, but I’m old.😀 

Me as well, old that is, yep, the days of a new sub 20,000 dollar truck are long gone.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, RED333 said:

Me as well, old that is, yep, the days of a new sub 20,000 dollar truck are long gone.

I remember taking a buddy to buy a new 89 F-150. He wrote a check for $8900! That was a basic truck. Rubber floor mat. 300 straight 6 and a 5 speed manual transmission. 

Don't know the condition of your current truck but if it does what you want I would put some money into it.  The 7.3 is already one of the best engines and 30K does a lot of fixing. Maybe swap/rebuild some of the questionable parts before they fail to get it more reliable. 

8 hours ago, gregintenn said:

It would be cool if somebody was still making a basic “truck”.

Nobody does that anymore. Very few trucks are used as trucks anymore. Most never see anything more than a couple of 2X4s in the bed. These days most of them are just big family cars. The people who buy these want all the cool gizmos in them as well. So dealers stock what those folks want. 🙄

if you want a basic truck, you gotta special order it. That's how most businesses get their work trucks. 

OTOH, you might give government sales/auctions a try. These will be plain Jane, basic work trucks, but check 'em very carefully. Sometimes they buy new vehicles simply because they can get a great deal this year using the  government bid system. So they replace older vehicles that still have a lot of life in them. Every once in a while you just might find a real gem. 😉

Many cities and counties are now selling their used vehicles and equipment on the internet. 😉

Edited by Grayfox54
9 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Everyone that answered with something other than Toyota is just wrong. Jesus will forgive you but I will not. 

Toyota isn’t always the best. 
I have owned a full size 4wd truck continuously since 1982, all Ford except for a 2000 Tundra TRD. 
I owned that Tundra from 2000-2010 and it was in the shop more than all of the others combined. 

I do agree on the notion that Toyota is the best truck. But I also have to agree that they are too pricey and too thirsty. 
I’ve had three, the last one being a 2004 Tundra that I wound up selling just to get my wife that dadgum dolled up Rav4 she wanted ( great vehicle though). 
That was a great truck except for the fact that it was a gasaholic. 

10 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

Don't know the condition of your current truck but if it does what you want I would put some money into it.  The 7.3 is already one of the best engines and 30K does a lot of fixing. Maybe swap/rebuild some of the questionable parts before they fail to get it more reliable. 

This is exactly why I spent $4k last year to have my trans rebuilt on my 2001 Silverado. I also just found brake rotors on Amazon for about half of what the auto parts stores get for them. I bought 4 AC Delco rotors for about$130. Should be here today or tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Tom B said:

This is exactly why I spent $4k last year to have my trans rebuilt on my 2001 Silverado. I also just found brake rotors on Amazon for about half of what the auto parts stores get for them. I bought 4 AC Delco rotors for about$130. Should be here today or tomorrow.

Yep. Exactly what I’m considering. The body on my 2005 Chevy is still good at about 200,000 miles, so I’m thinking about a head to toe rebuild sometime down the road. I’d love to have a new Toyota or a new F150, but that ain’t happening. 

Being that Rob never listens to anything I’ve told him, especially since I’ve never told him anything 🤣, I’ll stick with the Ford recommendation out of his three choices. To me the only good thing Dodge has is the Cummins engine, but like I said before, due to my own experience I’m staying away from Dodge altogether. 

All that said, some days I still wish I could have a mid 90’s crew cab F150 or 250 with a manual transmission. That old square body Ford is still my favorite. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, res308 said:

Yep. Exactly what I’m considering. The body on my 2005 Chevy is still good at about 200,000 miles, so I’m thinking about a head to toe rebuild sometime down the road. I’d love to have a new Toyota or a new F150, but that ain’t happening. 

Being that Rob never listens to anything I’ve told him, especially since I’ve never told him anything 🤣, I’ll stick with the Ford recommendation out of his three choices. To me the only good thing Dodge has is the Cummins engine, but like I said before, due to my own experience I’m staying away from Dodge altogether. 

All that said, some days I still wish I could have a mid 90’s crew cab F150 or 250 with a manual transmission. That old square body Ford is still my favorite. 

I liked those old Fords too, but the cold hard truth is the new ones have twice the power, burn half the fuel, and are infinitely less maintenance intensive.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Everyone that answered with something other than Toyota is just wrong. Jesus will forgive you but I will not. 

I have a brand new Tundra and personally don't get it.  Considering going back to a RAM.  Drives better, rides better, better fit/finish, 3 recalls already on my new "the best" truck 🙂.  Toyota isn't what it once was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

I have a brand new Tundra and personally don't get it.  Considering going back to a RAM.  Drives better, rides better, better fit/finish, 3 recalls already on my new "the best" truck 🙂.  Toyota isn't what it once was.

Toyota is having issues with the new Tundra. Several blown engines from members on the Tundra forum. I agree quality has declined but I think that's across the board. It's all about maximizing profit. 

OP is looking for a used truck around 30,000 which would work for an older Tundra. 

Just now, Erik88 said:

Toyota is having issues with the new Tundra. Several blown engines from members on the Tundra forum. I agree quality has declined but I think that's across the board. It's all about maximizing profit. 

OP is looking for a used truck around 30,000 which would work for an older Tundra. 

Understood.  Just saying I guess that there is no 'best" anymore.  Even with used vehicles it's a crap shoot anymore.

• Like 2

I have a 2012 Tundra. Bought it with 38k and it's got 153k now. It's been good so far with nothing more than general maintenance required. Have had some issue with the front rotors warping. But I'm now faced with the 5.7 ltr cam tower leak. One side leaks down on the manifold and I smell it about every day. Haven't noticed it leaking enough to make a puddle yet. It's a known problem and not really a home repair job. Dealerships probably charge in the $2k+ to repair it. It's only a 2wd and I have really been needing a 4wd as 2wd trucks can get stuck in wet grass. But dang the prices are just nuts. I can't decide whether to trade it before it gets worse or fix it. A 0% interest program would be tempting.