Best 9mm pocket rocket

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

If I started wearing overalls I could cancel my plans to get a vasectomy. My wife would quickly lose interest in me. 

I love my overalls!  Most comfortable thing I wear. And my wife is still interested in my 60 year old body! 😉

45 minutes ago, -boatman- said:

I was going to get some overalls after I retired but when I saw the price I changed my mind. I didn't want them as bad as I thought I did.

There's a place called Hammer's here in the Knoxville area, that sells seconds for around $40 a pair. Hard to beat at that price!!!

• Like 2

Overalls give me a wedgie and chafe my nipples.

Also, I don’t think they look good with Red Wing slip on Pecos boots.

Aside from these misgivings, I would wear them religiously.😁

Edited by gregintenn
  • Haha 5

There are several mainstream offerings such as, P365, Hellcat, S&W Shield.  Have had them all and they all will do the job if I do mine.

Now more into proper holster and ammo than the most popular rocket.  Most people ignore the holster.  Many never really shoot their carry gun enough to become competent with it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JustEd said:

There are several mainstream offerings such as, P365, Hellcat, S&W Shield.  Have had them all and they all will do the job if I do mine.

Now more into proper holster and ammo than the most popular rocket.  Most people ignore the holster.  Many never really shoot their carry gun enough to become competent with it.

Correct. I sometimes focus too much on pistol buying and not the carry side of things. As such, I have several choices on my fav carry...a Galco OWB for my Shield Performance Center. I've tried several different holsters and forms...leather vs kydex, IWB Vs OWB. But this is my current choice.

I won't comment on the ammo, as I tend to use my stock of various HP ammo. I haven't done a lot of extensive testing, as perhaps I should; but usually Hornady Critical Duty. If I feel the need for more powerful ammo, I have a few boxes of Buffalo Bore left.

We all should get together for a holster swap meet! Might help us out.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, hipower said:

Correct. I sometimes focus too much on pistol buying and not the carry side of things. As such, I have several choices on my fav carry...a Galco OWB for my Shield Performance Center. I've tried several different holsters and forms...leather vs kydex, IWB Vs OWB. But this is my current choice.

I won't comment on the ammo, as I tend to use my stock of various HP ammo. I haven't done a lot of extensive testing, as perhaps I should; but usually Hornady Critical Duty. If I feel the need for more powerful ammo, I have a few boxes of Buffalo Bore left.

We all should get together for a holster swap meet! Might help us out.

That’s a great idea.  I’ve got probably 2 boxes of holsters. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, Defender said:

That’s a great idea.  I’ve got probably 2 boxes of holsters. 

I've had a lot over the years, and like most of us...for some reason they just didn't seem to work for me.

Lots of kydex. Just didn't warm up to them. The best of them seem to come with the Canik pistols. jmo

• Like 1

In my opinion, the best pocket rocket is the one you will actually carry and practice with on a regular basis. So ammo for practice needs to be affordable, carry ammo for testing and carry should be attainable, the size should be comfortable enough for you both for shooting and for carry, and a good holster for your preferred carry method should exist. Any other concerns come second.

There's been a ton of good options over the years in small sizes many of which have been mentioned already. If you can find a place with your top contenders to rent, that'd be ideal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 5/24/2023 at 6:26 PM, gregintenn said:

Overalls give me a wedgie and chafe my nipples.

Band-aides will take care of the chafing.  Can't provide any suggestions on the wedgies, I suppose that depends on the shape (and size) of the ass in question ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, No_0ne said:

Band-aides will take care of the chafing.  Can't provide any suggestions on the wedgies, I suppose that depends on the shape (and size) of the ass in question ...

Mine looks like a board.😄

Band aids remove too much hair upon removal. Think I’ll just stick to jeans.👍

I don’t have a single 9mm that I would want to pocket carry. My P365 is perfect for IWB, but too big for my pockets. I’ve got a Kahr MK9 that is slim and short enough, but with it being a SS slide and frame, it’s too heavy and swings around too much. I’ve tried my wife’s CR920 in the pocket but it’s too bulky. About the only thing I ever pocket carry is a Gen 1 LCP in .380 or a NAA Pug in .22 mag.

• Like 3
  • Admin Team

I have two non-negotiable requirements for a pistol that I'm going to pocket carry - but a lot of moving pieces affect both of them.

If I'm going to pocket carry, I have to first be able to get a full firing grip while it's in my pocket and second, I do not want to have to readjust that grip when it comes out of my pocket.  If either of those conditions are lacking - it's a no go for pocket carry.

In a full stress situation, you're not going to have time to draw, readjust your grip, and get on target.  At best it's going to slow you down a lot - at worst you're going to fumble the pistol.

The only pistol that has ever fit that bill for me is a j-frame riding in an aholster. Obviously all that is affected by a person's frame and build, and their clothing choices.  So, YMMV.

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

The only pistol that has ever fit that bill for me is a j-frame riding in an aholster. Obviously all that is affected by a person's frame and build, and their clothing choices.  So, YMMV.

I'm with you on this. 100%

I carry an LCR in an AHolster, but have certainly carried my 640 this way for a long time.

I can have, as I've read elsewhere, a "Clandestine low ready" using this method, without telegraphing it to the world.

I do have, and tried with my S&W Shield in an AHolster. Getting that full assured grip just wasn't consistent for me. Nor did it ever draw as smoothly as a J Frame sized revolver.

Pocket carry is generally as a 2nd gun, but sometimes as a primary. The environment will dictate the carry method of course.

Just my $.02 worth

• Like 1