Sig P320 Called "Ticking Time Bomb"

gun sane

2 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

With respect, you don't know what you're talking about. That elderly woman was severely injured, spent 8 days in the hospital, needed skin grafts, and never once asked for a dime more than she was owed for medicals and lost income for her daughter providing care. McD's offered $800. It was discovered McD's was intentionally keeping the coffee dangerously hot (180-190F) because their studies showed most customers drank it after they got to their office/wherever and they wanted it to still be hot then. The woman initially only wanted $20K to cover her hospital bills. She and her lawyer tried multiple times to get them to settle at reasonable amounts. They refused.

The jury awarded her $160K in compensatory damages for her medicals, loss of quality of life, and her daughter's income who had been providing care. The jury then stacked $2.7M on as punitive damages. Her daughter said much of the money went to pay for medical bills and a full time live-in nurse until her death 10 years later and that she had very poor quality of life from both the injuries and the toll of the trial.

I wouldn't recommend that as a get rich tactic.

^^^Pure Horsechit!^^^

Coffee should be hot. Don’t pour it on yourself. The end.

• Like 1

There's a difference between hot and 3rd degree burns scalding hot. Since the NIH was brought up, even studies they host say 136F is the optimal temp for serving. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18226454/ Brewed at 180-205F and served at much lower temps.

IIRC, what got McD's was that their own internal research showed the same thing (serving at 180+ was dangerous to consumers) but chose to continue doing it anyway.

3 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

With respect, you don't know what you're talking about. That elderly woman was severely injured, spent 8 days in the hospital, needed skin grafts, and never once asked for a dime more than she was owed for medicals and lost income for her daughter providing care. McD's offered $800. It was discovered McD's was intentionally keeping the coffee dangerously hot (180-190F) because their studies showed most customers drank it after they got to their office/wherever and they wanted it to still be hot then. The woman initially only wanted $20K to cover her hospital bills. She and her lawyer tried multiple times to get them to settle at reasonable amounts. They refused.

The jury awarded her $160K in compensatory damages for her medicals, loss of quality of life, and her daughter's income who had been providing care. The jury then stacked $2.7M on as punitive damages. Her daughter said much of the money went to pay for medical bills and a full time live-in nurse until her death 10 years later and that she had very poor quality of life from both the injuries and the toll of the trial.

I respectfully disagree, and I am sorry for the pain and suffering that person endured, but that was caused by her.  I can only speak for myself, I do have enough sense to NOT:

-Have hot coffee in my crotch area in the car or where ever I might spill it.

-Have my hand or fingers in front of my pistol when firing, and expect the manufacturer and range to pay for the medical.

-Return my handgun to my IWB holster with my finger on the trigger and expect it not go go off.

-Step in front of a moving train and expect them to stop.

-Drive up to Chick-fil-Lay on Sunday expecting service

-Expect to ride a roller coaster at Dollywood knowing the belt/retaining device will not go across my big belly

-Apply as a waiter at Hooters

-Expect equal playing time for my kids on a basketball squad when they can't make a goal

-Urinate on a electric fence and expect the land owner to place signs warning me.

-Buy into the political statement that is gaining traction everywhere that "gun" violence is a thing

And on-and-on.

As for me, and me alone, I will keep growing my common sense and not expect others to pay for my incompetence.  

-

• Thanks 3
3 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

I respectfully disagree, and I am sorry for the pain and suffering that person endured, but that was caused by her.  I can only speak for myself, I do have enough sense to NOT:

-Have my hand or fingers in front of my pistol when firing, and expect the manufacturer and range to pay for the medical.

-Return my handgun to my IWB holster with my finger on the trigger and expect it not go go off.

-Expect to ride a roller coaster at Dollywood knowing the belt/retaining device will not go across my big belly

-Expect equal playing time for my kids on a basketball squad when they can't make a goal

-Urinate on a electric fence and expect the land owner to place signs warning me.

-Buy into the political statement that is gaining traction everywhere that "gun" violence is a thing

And on-and-on.

As for me, and me alone, I will keep growing my common sense and not expect others to pay for my incompetence.  

-

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, runco said:

And on-and-on.

-

I agree with everything you said except Chick fli. Lay I admit I have done that  lol 

Edited by Sleep profit
  • Haha 2

I’m no intellectual giant by any measure, but somehow I’ve made it nearly 50 years with the knowledge coffee should be hot and have somehow refrained from pouring it on my crotch. I expect the same of other adults.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2
33 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Didn’t do ya much good though, did it?

No it didn’t. I thought it sounded good after church one Sunday then I remembered Closed on Sunday. Getting old     senior moment    Note I have not done any of the other things on the list. Thank GOODNESS.      LOL 

Edited by Sleep profit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since this thread has gone to hell over McDonald’s I guess y’all never heard of the infamous hot pickle lawsuit here in Knoxville years ago.  A woman claimed grievance over a super hot pickle that slid out of her burger and caused grievous injury.   Her husband jumped into  the suit claiming he was "deprived of the services and consortium of his wife”.

True fact.  Look it up.

• Haha 5
21 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Since this thread has gone to hell over McDonald’s I guess y’all never heard of the infamous hot pickle lawsuit here in Knoxville years ago.  A woman claimed grievance over a super hot pickle that slid out of her burger and caused grievous injury.   Her husband jumped into  the suit claiming he was "deprived of the services and consortium of his wife”.

True fact.  Look it up.

That’s what I was referring to on page one of this thread  I knew I had heard about it before but you had more details 

Edited by Sleep profit

So once more history repeats itself.  I remember in the late eighties when a local agency of LEO’s in my area accused the same of the still new Glock 17. (I’m going to be intentionally vague to a degree as I was present myself for elements of this). An officer had had an “accidental discharge” during a traffic stop with a young lady that he had pulled over on a lonely lakeside road nearby at night.  This incident resulted in her receiving a fatal head-wound.  The agency involved sued Glock and actually brought Gaston all the way over to testify to his design. (Super-win for me as I got to meet and spend time with one of my heroes). During the course of the trial we went so far as to make 3 drops into a parking garage from an over-looking 16 story building with a sample model loaded G17 for evidentiary purposes.  Those were just the official attempts to create a discharge.  There were PLENTY of other informal ones.  The gun could not be made to accidentally fire despite efforts that got absurd by any standard.  Gaston came out rightfully smelling like a rose and further cementing Glock’s patented safety system world wide, with history even citing our studies as further proof in design safety.  It seems like it was about a year later that it came out that the young lady involved in the incident was an ex-girlfriend of the officer involved.

Edited by CMDRStormBorn
  • Like 2

Like people didn’t live Knoxville in the early 90’s and that case didn’t make national news.  😀

Yes, Glock was sued in Knoxville and Gaston himself brought over and put on the stand due to an officer’s negligence.

Edited by Garufa

Just to throw my two cents in on the McDonalds hot coffee debate. I do think their coffee, in addition to being somewhat wretched, is too hot. Most restaurants serve their coffee too hot for me. I always asked for a couple of ice cubes in my cup. Now at home I go between using a French press and a Krueig, but I still don't like coffee super hot. Kureigs make the water just about the right temp for me, but I have no idea what that is, other than I like it. When using my French press, once the kettle starts making noise, I pull it off the burner and add it to the press, stir the water and coffee together and let it steep for 4 or 5 minutes. That makes the perfect cup of coffee. 

You jokers that like it scalding are just masochists! 😄

And yes, I am somewhat of a coffee snob... 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Moped said:

Just to throw my two cents in on the McDonalds hot coffee debate. I do think their coffee, in addition to being somewhat wretched, is too hot. Most restaurants serve their coffee too hot for me. I always asked for a couple of ice cubes in my cup. Now at home I go between using a French press and a Krueig, but I still don't like coffee super hot. Kureigs make the water just about the right temp for me, but I have no idea what that is, other than I like it. When using my French press, once the kettle starts making noise, I pull it off the burner and add it to the press, stir the water and coffee together and let it steep for 4 or 5 minutes. That makes the perfect cup of coffee. 

You jokers that like it scalding are just masochists! 😄

And yes, I am somewhat of a coffee snob... 

Apparently, you're supposed to buy their coffee and drink it an hour later.

• Haha 2

Frivolous coffee lawsuits aside. Every time I hear about guns magically going off by themselves I reflexively assume there's some misinformation at play. When I hear someone's gun goes off magically in a holster, I reflexively assume it's lies to cover up NGs.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, BigK said:

Frivolous coffee lawsuits aside. Every time I hear about guns magically going off by themselves I reflexively assume there's some misinformation at play. When I hear someone's gun goes off magically in a holster, I reflexively assume it's lies to cover up NGs.

I’d love to have a nickel for every time somebody claimed they were cleaning their gun and it went off.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, BigK said:

There was an incident in Mount Juliet recently where police had to launch in investigation regarding a breakin. they sent out alerts to the community looking for a white male in a hoody and basketball shorts who broke into an apartment and fired a gun after a struggle. After some sleuth work, they determined it was a lie and that the lady was trying to commit suicide. I'm guessing it was an ND or she lied about that too.

You can bet your bottom dollar that she got some charges.

My P320 has gone off in the gun cabinet. It was unloaded when I stored it. Somehow it loaded itself and fired multiple times. Thus destroying my Smith and Wesson, Glock, Springfield and Ruger handguns stored there

i suspect the P320 has AI and doesn’t like competition. 

• Haha 3

Watched a deputy who was range instructor that day almost get his left foot shot off. This was in the late 90’s. 
They had finally forced a gentleman to switch from a wheelgun to a DA/SA semi-auto. Smith and Wesson 9mm I think.
The guy was a lifelong wheelgunner, hated semis, and was retiring in a few years at that point. I’ve always thought they should have left him alone anyway. BUT…..they didn’t and wished they had. 🤣

Range instructor took Jim through a string of fire and then ordered him to holster. BOOM!

#%£¥<#%!{}+]=[=,€~£€<|\! blurted Mr. Range instructor. 
As Jim was holstering his new semi-auto it went off all by itself with the range instructor standing right beside him, feet almost touching. Of course, Jim’s finger was somewhere in the area but I think the finger had an alibi. HAD to be the fault of the gun 😇

Edited by res308
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, JustEd said:

My P320 has gone off in the gun cabinet. It was unloaded when I stored it. Somehow it loaded itself and fired multiple times. Thus destroying my Smith and Wesson, Glock, Springfield and Ruger handguns stored there

i suspect the P320 has AI and doesn’t like competition. 

The. article said they were dangerous maybe that what they meant  lol 

• Love 1