1937 Remington Model 81 chambered in 35 Remington.

I picked up my Model 81 in .35 Remington today from my FFL. I would have had it sooner, but I’m STILL waiting on a GB seller to ship my Marlin 1894 44mag. It’s been 3 weeks. But I digress.

The Remington is in very good condition for an 86 year old rifle. Based on the serial number all over every part, it is from 1937. I believe it was sent back to Remington in October of 41 based on the E3K date code stamped on the barrel shroud.

The barrel shroud has a nice brown patina. The receiver has much of its bluing remaining. It is not marked with a “B” or “C” but there is very nice hand checkering of the stock and forearm. It has a grip cap on the pistol grip which I was usually on the D grade or higher. I wonder if the rifle was sent back to Remington in 41 to get the upgrades to the wood. it has a period Marbles peep sight and folding rear sight.

I took the receiver completely apart today to give it a really good cleaning. I need to get the proper tool to disassemble the barrel. It is a well-built rifle. I can’t wait to get it out to the farm to shoot. I cleaned up the furniture a bit with denatured alcohol. Like all my other rifles, I will come back with a hand rubbed linseed oil finish.  Unfortunately, I could not find my small container of Winchester Stock Oil. I guess I need to buy more.

IMG_3196.jpg.07345207b20a92975d60ca2a70725d79.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg.fb4abaa3d673d03932cb56f9cc2d1e6b.jpg

IMG_3198.jpg.37a7ed24b15a7ae81ea647ba04f8d379.jpg

IMG_3202.JPG.ba751c2d34fe96a4b94fac1aa9fe18de.JPG

IMG_3199.jpg.1552d09723d5dd7164c69695e6d69854.jpg

IMG_3200.jpg.00bd6bc05e46bf228664356f735562d7.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1