Why we can't have nice gun laws...

28 minutes ago, Garufa said:

We can’t have “nice gun laws” because the populace is incapable of exercising said laws responsibly. 

The ones who can't belong in prison.  If our legislators returned the rights intended then those who break those rules need to be incarcerated.

7 hours ago, Garufa said:

We can’t have “nice gun laws” because the populace is incapable of exercising said laws responsibly. 

The lead-in was a play on the words our Mothers used to say when we broke a lamp or a certain dish or glass.  Sorry for the lame attempt at levity.

However, a tax payer paid legislator who pulls a few words out of a document and uses that to deny a preexisting to the Constitution's ratification, and enshrined in it as a natural right to the people is a criminal act in and of itself.

TCA 39-16-403 Official Oppression

(a)  A public servant acting under color of office or employment commits an offense who:

(1)  Intentionally subjects another to mistreatment or to arrest, detention, stop, frisk, halt, search, seizure, dispossession, assessment or lien when the public servant knows the conduct is unlawful; or

(2)  Intentionally denies or impedes another in the exercise or enjoyment of any right, privilege, power or immunity, when the public servant knows the conduct is unlawful.

(b)  For purposes of this section, a public servant acts under color of office or employment if the public servant acts, or purports to act, in an official capacity or takes advantage of the actual or purported capacity.

(c)  An offense under this section is a Class E felony.

(d)  Charges for official oppression may be brought only by indictment, presentment or criminal information; provided, that nothing in this section shall deny a person from pursuing other criminal charges by affidavit of complaint.

I guess because Whoopi and Joy run their pie holes incessantly we should let some politician do away with freedom of speech?  Or because a huge percentage of drivers can't even begin to follow the rules of the road some .gov official should be able to upcharge that privilege as well?

I see, you are of the "punish the innocent for the crimes of the guilty" ilk.

I'm confused. Like most politicians, he talks in circles. He seems to be opposing the bill, but then at the end, did he not say he was sponsoring it?  Exactly what is he saying? 

BTW: Rose is my senator. I've voted for him and e-mailed him several times on 2A issues. He has always seemed very pro-gun to me. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I'm confused. Like most politicians, he talks in circles. He seems to be opposing the bill, but then at the end, did he not say he was sponsoring it?  Exactly what is he saying? 

BTW: Rose is my senator. I've voted for him and e-mailed him several times on 2A issues. He has always seemed very pro-gun to me. 

He was saying thank you to Sen. Taylor for sponsoring an amendment that stripped the meat of the bill.  In fact it made the TCA Code worse than it was before.

I met with Sen. Rose early in the session about this bill, which would have allowed long gun carry like 42 other states do without it being a crime, and 4 more with permits, only 4 call it a crime unless hunting or sport shooting, New York, New Jersey, Florida and Tennessee.  His statement about the Constitutionality was simply that the ladies in his Church in Covington did not want to see AR15s in the Wal Mart.  He does not care what is lawful, feelings trump the Constitutions.

He is a 2nd Amendment Butter Club member.
He is trying by reading one sentence of the Bruen Ruling, (which he mischaracterizes as Heller) trying to make it sound like the Supreme court agrees with his interpretation.

Edited by Worriedman
18 hours ago, Worriedman said:

The ones who can't belong in prison.  If our legislators returned the rights intended then those who break those rules need to be incarcerated.

Absolutely.  

Whatever happened to “gun crimes mean hard time”.  Used to be billboards all over the state for that.  Oh wait, it’s not fair to incarcerate people who “can’t help it”. 🙄