Charter Arms 22LR Pathfinder Target any good?

jeff43

1 hour ago, jeff43 said:

Anyone had any experience with one of these?I found one in a 6 shot stainless used. I like the size of it.just curious how accurate they are ?At 7, 15yards

Is this the snub or 4" version Jeff ? I had the Magnum snub that was good at 10 yds but never tried it past that. I wouldn't stake my life on it but a good snake or farm vermin pistol .

I can't speak for the Target model, but I had a 2" Pathfinder snub once that wouldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside. 💩

Charter Arms QC can be spotty. You might get a gem or you might get a turd. Only way to find out is to shoot it. 🙄

I have the Taurus 942 and it's an OK, to VG Pistol. Just depends on finding the right ammo for it...and the luck of the draw from Taurus.

This is my 2nd one and it's a keeper. It was replaced when I sent the first one back to Taurus. Totally unknowable as to where your shot would go. As said by GrayFox above...couldn't hit a barn from the inside with it.

In spite of my long time association with Taurus products, there are still some issues from them. As I started my initial buying spree in the 90s, I bought a lot of Tauri pistols. Slowly gotten out of them but for the best ones.

Now back to the OC's question on the 942, mine is good. As reliable as I could hope for, but it's not a Smith 617. I was always too cheap to buy a 617 and I've regretted it for a lon while. IMO, the 4" 617 is a true gem in 22 revolvers.

In fact, I'll go one step further on this. If you are looking for an excellent 22 revolver...bite the bullet, so to speak, and get a 617!

• Like 1

I’d like to have a S&W 63  ,but $800 +😩
Just thought I’d like to have a double action 22, sure don’t NEED one I’ve got about 7 Ruger MKII’s and 5 single sixes and a Bearcat . I’d hate to spend that much on a Smith and it not shoot to suit me.😁

• Haha 1

My favorite .22 revolver is the 4" S&W Model 18. Its a K-frame and very easy to shoot well. The 6" model 18 is also an excellent revolver. Often used for hunting and pure target shooting. Then on the smaller J-frame there's the Models 34 & 63. None of these are cheap, but they're well worth the money. 😉

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

My favorite .22 revolver is the 4" S&W Model 18. Its a K-frame and very easy to shoot well. The 6" model 18 is also an excellent revolver. Often used for hunting and pure target shooting. Then on the smaller J-frame there's the Models 34 & 63. None of these are cheap, but they're well worth the money. 😉

Good collection! Wish I had some of those treasures. My first K frame was a K22 WMF. Quite a shooter. But unreasonably finiky on cleanliness! It just will lock up after a couple of cyclinders. Cool it down and clean and it's ready to go.

And before you suggest...it was sent to S&W. Supposedly they shave a hair's depth off the cyclinder and pronounced it "Fixed". LOL! Still does it. So I don't fire it much.

My 351 PD has a similar issue too. It also went back. Pretty much the same when it returned. It's my wife's house gun. Laser grip equipped. I tell her to watch the dot and keep pulling the trigger until it's empty.

Looking towards getting her to something else. Maybe a Walther PQ22. I'm liking the idea of her not having to have a full pull on the trigger with her artritis setting in.

22 hours ago, jeff43 said:

I’d like to have a S&W 63  ,but $800 +😩
Just thought I’d like to have a double action 22, sure don’t NEED one I’ve got about 7 Ruger MKII’s and 5 single sixes and a Bearcat . I’d hate to spend that much on a Smith and it not shoot to suit me.😁

You do still have the option of a sp101 4" model. 63 is a sound investment because i paid 450 for my first one years ago. You dig hard enough and you can probably find one for less than 800

• Like 1

Well, y'all know me and Smith & Wessons. 🙄

YpQD6kK.jpg?1

17-5 17-6 Full Lug, a pair of 18-3s and a 34-1.

One of my 18-3s was modified by the previous owner with a Red Ramp front sight, smooth trigger and a wonderful action job. I added a set of my favorite combat grips. I give this gun full credit for teaching me how to properly shoot a revolver in DA mode. 👍