Handgun for Grizzlies

I’ll be backpacking in a remote corner of Montana in a month. As a farmer with an insane amount of equipment and gear, I cringe at buying more things I don’t need. Well in this case my g43 isn’t going to be sufficient in Grizzly territory. 

Anybody have experience with this? As far as I can tell 10mm is the way to go. 

any other options I should consider besides the G20 and a chest holster?

• Like 1

I have ZERO experience with grizzlies but I have a 10mm, 454 casull, and 500 S&W in the collection IF I were ever to venture out as you are going to . I think a 10mm is sufficient in that environment . Best of luck on your upcoming adventure !!

• Like 2

I lived and hunted in the northwest corner of Montana, back then I carried a 44 magnum, if I were to go today I think I would pick a 10mm with some heavy solids as Alleycat72 said. 

Best bet is to keep aware of your surroundings and try and steer clear of them, I know that doesn’t always work though. 

• Like 4

Interesting on the heavy solids. Makes sense…lots to punch through. 

that’s definitely the appeal of the 10mm is the amount of rounds in the gun vs a high caliber revolver. Only 5 shots makes me nervous. 

I’ll have to google BFR, unless it means a big  **  rifle haha 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Faxmachine said:

that’s definitely the appeal of the 10mm is the amount of rounds in the gun vs a high caliber revolver. Only 5 shots makes me nervous. 

You're ⅔ right lmao

23 minutes ago, Faxmachine said:

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/bfr-45-70-stainless-steel/

• Like 1

You need the biggest caliber handgun you are willing to carry, and can shoot, if you aren’t carrying a rifle or shotgun. I would prefer to carry both.

However, people tell me the 10mm has a huge following in Alaska to the point 10mm ammo is as common as 44mag nowadays. 

Luckily for you the bears on Montana aren’t as big as kodiaks in Alaska.  I think a 10mm semi made by a reputable manufacturer will serve you well loaded with the correct ammo. 

• Like 2

Get bear spray when you get there* and if needed use it first. It's highly effective. Very rarely will it not work, then the advice above is all excellent.

*You can't fly with it so buy some when you arrive. Unless you're driving, then get it now for cheaper online and take it with you.

• Like 1

My son and brother both live in Anchorage. They say almost everyone there Carries a 10mm high capacity Glock. I carry a .22 and make sure I’m not alone. Any trouble pops up I simply shoot who I’m with in the leg and walk away slowly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Years ago, I backpacked in the Beartooth Mountain range near Wyoming; I carried a Ruger .454 Casull;

I suggest using a very accessible holster, like a chest rig, if you are carrying a large backpack.

Also, research day and night temps, it could be 80 F in the day, and 35F at night.

Carry sealed energy snacks, the high altitude will wear you out.

Take time to Aclimate to the high altitude. 

Attach a Bear Bell to your hiking stick.

Never keep or prepare food anywhere, near where you sleep.

• Like 1

I’ve read that park rangers in that area advise people to wear noise producing devices such as little bells on their clothing to alert but not startle the bear unexpectedly. They also advise carrying pepper spray in case of an encounter with a bear. 

It is also a good idea to watch for fresh signs of bear activity and know the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings. 

Black bear droppings are smaller and contain berries and possibly squirrel fur. 

Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper spray.lol.  I hope you find the right defense and don’t end up needing it, and have a great trip!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
16 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Unpopular opinion coming. I would carry your G43 and buy bear spray. 

Thought about this for a while. I shot a buddies 10mm yesterday along with my 9mm. 

I had a steel target on a door leaning against a tree. When the 10mm hit the steel the tree shook quite drastically. The 9mm didn't have the same effect...

15 hours ago, jeremiah said:

Years ago, I backpacked in the Beartooth Mountain range near Wyoming; I carried a Ruger .454 Casull;

I suggest using a very accessible holster, like a chest rig, if you are carrying a large backpack.

Also, research day and night temps, it could be 80 F in the day, and 35F at night.

Carry sealed energy snacks, the high altitude will wear you out.

Take time to Aclimate to the high altitude. 

Attach a Bear Bell to your hiking stick.

Never keep or prepare food anywhere, near where you sleep.

Chest rig it is.

All good info, The area is the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex. I'm pretty excited. I lived in the Sierra Nevada's for three years so i'm fairly used to the extreme temp changes of mountains, though there is nothing I can do about the oxygen/altitude being a hill dweller now. 

I am a pretty experienced backpacker and I refuse to use the freeze dried foods, instead opting for a packable skillet and frozen steaks, eggs, bacon, bread,cheese, salami etc. I know I know, its worth the weight to me. But If i can't cook over the fire (being too close to the tents) I may have to crumble and get a camp stove. 

I'll get a bell