Handgun for Grizzlies

We've done several backpacking trips in Glacier National Park (just north of where you'll be). Hopefully, will be doing a couple more this summer.

We've just carried bear spray.  "Current" guidance on the bear bells from the National Park Service is that they don't work.  But you can find info that supports every position on bear bells (helps, does nothing, hurts). I've hardly ever run into anyone with them if we're more than about 1/2 mile from a trailhead. 

Since you're an experienced backpacker, I'm guessing that you know about bear bagging/using bear canisters for your 'smellables" - food, cooking items, toiletries, etc.

Glacier NP's video on summer backcountry camping video they make everybody watch before they issue your permit:

https://www.nps.gov/media/video/embed.htm?id=73A16C66-1DD8-B71B-0BDA3687A1AEC297

Link to webpage with video if video link doesn't work:

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/backcountry.htm

Edited by mike_f
Trying to fix video link

When I was stationed in Alaska I carried a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag on hunts with a 4 in bbl and felt pretty safe with 240 grain soft points. The few bears I came across always got out of the way on their own. Carry something  you can get out of the holster quickly and practice with it before you go. 

Bear bells aka "dinner bells" - pass.  The old soldier in me always balked at the idea of  hanging bells on my body to announce my presence anyway. Keep your head on a swivel and be aware of your surroundings. 

Another option is to always go out with someone you can outrun. 

Edited by DC551

12 gauge loaded with slugs. Put the first shot into the shoulder to cripple and slow him down. 

I read a book about bear attacks some years ago. Bears don't like people and generally try to avoid them. Most attacks occur when the bear is busy with something else, not paying attention and the human surprises them. Make noise when you move, sing, hum, do anything to alert the bear to your presence. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

12 gauge loaded with slugs. Put the first shot into the shoulder to cripple and slow him down. 

I read a book about bear attacks some years ago. Bears don't like people and generally try to avoid them. Most attacks occur when the bear is busy with something else, not paying attention and the human surprises them. Make noise when you move, sing, hum, do anything to alert the bear to your presence. 

Damn. I must be a bear. I general don't like people either and do my best to avoid them! 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
7 hours ago, FrankD said:

i'd go with a G20 in a kenai or hill people gear chest rig.  

I have to agree with FrankD.  I'm not a Glock guy, but I do have a 19 and a 20 and that 20 will eat any type of 10mm ammo all day long.  

Handgun for Grizzlies

Setting aside the whole question of why you would want a Grizzly to have a handgun, it would have to be a very large one.  Those guys have some seriously huge paws!  (sorry, I couldn't resist based on the way the thread was titled)

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, 1gewehr said:

Handgun for Grizzlies

Setting aside the whole question of why you would want a Grizzly to have a handgun, it would have to be a very large one.  Those guys have some seriously huge paws!  (sorry, I couldn't resist based on the way the thread was titled)

No one has better advice on the subject than this guy I would think 🙂

Nba Playoffs Sport GIF by NBA

2 hours ago, 1gewehr said:

Handgun for Grizzlies

I thought the same  - strictly from the title. I don't think their claws would do well in a trigger guard.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2023 at 3:35 PM, derf said:

My son and brother both live in Anchorage. They say almost everyone there Carries a 10mm high capacity Glock. I carry a .22 and make sure I’m not alone. Any trouble pops up I simply shoot who I’m with in the leg and walk away slowly. 

Now thats some funny s**t right there-lol

A good buddy Moved to Montana 10 years ago, when we hiked he carried a Ruger Alaskan 44 in a chest rig, his wife carried the biggest bottle of bear spray I've ever seen. Like a bicycle water bottle. I just made sure I stayed close to one of them.

Lived in Nikiski Alaska for 5 years. I use to carry a shotgun while fishing. One day I heard a big splash behind me. I turned around and had a yearling brown bear (140-160lbs) between my shotgun and me. I dont remember who was more surprised.  After that I carried a 44 on my hip. I admit it was a pain in the ass but it was there. I learned about chest holsters late in life. 3 times in 5 years of logging, surveying and hunting is about average. I don't count the times i've come across bear tracks in the river bed filling up with water. Just turn around and go back.

On 5/29/2023 at 6:17 PM, Defender said:

I’ve read that park rangers in that area advise people to wear noise producing devices such as little bells on their clothing to alert but not startle the bear unexpectedly. They also advise carrying pepper spray in case of an encounter with a bear. 

It is also a good idea to watch for fresh signs of bear activity and know the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings. 

Black bear droppings are smaller and contain berries and possibly squirrel fur. 

Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper spray.lol.  I hope you find the right defense and don’t end up needing it, and have a great trip!

We were told a similar story when we visited Alaska in 1993.  We took one hike while there and about  1/2 mile up a trail we saw what appeared to be be fresh claw marks about 6' up the side of a tree. We decide we had hiked far enough and started back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lived in and hunter Alaska for 35 plus years. I was convinced the best thing to carry was a big bore revolver. 454 Casual, 500 S&W, 500 JRH, etc. Pretty much owned and used then all. Some of my friends started carrying semi auto 10mm's and it slowly sunk in they are a better choice. A few buddys started out with Glocks but most have switched the the Springfield XDM's and carry a mag full of 200 grain hard cast bullets or 200 grain Hornadys.

Much easier to get off multiple shots with a semi auto 10 than any big bore revolver. Even though I still own plenty of big bore revolvers I now own a Springfield.

• Like 1

I worked and hiked around Glacier Park MT and backpacked in the Beartooth Mountains in MT a few times. While this is an unpopular choice, in addition to bear spray….. I either carried a Commander sized 1911 in 45acp or a Glock 17. Never felt under gunned with either one. I tried several ammo types out on hogs. 45acp I carried Remington Golden Saber 230gr ammo. Flat sharp edge of the hollow point seemed to have the least amount of deflection on head shots and none of the five rounds we put in the body of a 300lb pig expanded and resulted in complete pass throughs. In the G17 I carried 147gr truncated flat point FMJ for the same reason. Couple decades later my woods load of choice is Underwood 115gr Extreme Penetrators or Winchester 115gr Service Grade flat point FMJ in a pinch. Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Jonathan N. Shooter Ready said:

While this is an unpopular choice, in addition to bear spray….. I either carried a Commander sized 1911 in 45acp or a Glock 17. Never felt under gunned with either one. 

Well, if you never have to use it, you could carry a .22 Short derringer and not feel undergunned, right?  😄