Making Aggregate Driveway Sealing Non-Slip

It's time to reseal my aggregate driveway.  The last time I had it done the sealing was perfect, but it made the driveway extremely slick when wet.  My wife slipped on it and broke her ankle.

Is there anything that may be added to the sealer to give it a bit of grip when wet?

Thanks all 

6 minutes ago, pop pop said:

Had our asphalt parking lot sealed, at our church, and they used sand mixed in for that non slip purpose. Don't know if it would work for yours, Lucky. 

It sounds reasonable to mix some sand in with the aggregate sealer.  THANKS!

You can do that, just know it will wear the sealant off much faster as well. Any abrasion is going to work both ways and high traffic paths will show wear much quicker so you may end up with something that doesn’t look great after a short period. 

3 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

You can do that, just know it will wear the sealant off much faster as well. Any abrasion is going to work both ways and high traffic paths will show wear much quicker so you may end up with something that doesn’t look great after a short period. 

After my wife breaking her ankle on it before when it was so slick, I'll be happy for the less good look but also safer footing.  Thanks!

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

Same. I got lucky and scored two sealed 5-gal buckets at an Estate Sale a few months back for like $10 or something. That will cover all of my aggregate this summer.

Amazing the things that we find at Estate/Moving sales. My wife got me into in about 5 years ago. Now it's gotten to be a weekly ritual with us.

Yep. I wish I'd known about estate sales when I was getting started in life. I could have bought much nicer furniture, cookware, dishware, etc. for the same money I spent on cheap crappy stuff in my first apartment  😄

@Luckyforward - There are grip additives made for concrete sealant (like the one Mac mentioned from Thompson's) but I don't know how well they'll do with aggregate. It might be worth a call to a supply house that deals with professional concrete folks (ie not Home Depot, Lowes, or Ace). Euclid Chemical makes an additive called Shur Grip. Again, it's made for concrete/pavers, not necessarily aggregate. Here are their Nashville distributors. https://www.euclidchemical.com/help-support/distributor-locator/

You could give one ore more of them a call and ask them if Shur Grip would work, how much you'd need to add, and if they'll sell it to you. They may suggest a different product for aggregate.

I used sand mixed in with paint for my trailer ramp and it works good but it is showing wear with very light use.  Not a cheap method but you could fill any cracks with appropriate tar bases sealer then have the drive chip sealed where they mix crushed stone with tar/oil and put a new top down. If you pick a small stone to mix in, it would be relatively smooth.

15 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

Yep. I wish I'd known about estate sales when I was getting started in life. I could have bought much nicer furniture, cookware, dishware, etc. for the same money I spent on cheap crappy stuff in my first apartment  😄

@Luckyforward - There are grip additives made for concrete sealant (like the one Mac mentioned from Thompson's) but I don't know how well they'll do with aggregate. It might be worth a call to a supply house that deals with professional concrete folks (ie not Home Depot, Lowes, or Ace). Euclid Chemical makes an additive called Shur Grip. Again, it's made for concrete/pavers, not necessarily aggregate. Here are their Nashville distributors. https://www.euclidchemical.com/help-support/distributor-locator/

You could give one ore more of them a call and ask them if Shur Grip would work, how much you'd need to add, and if they'll sell it to you. They may suggest a different product for aggregate.

THANK YOU!