Always Tryin to F with you

I'm retired from federal service. After the state of Washington legalized marijuana one of the guys in my division was seen smoking on a golf course. He lost his security clearance immediately, and since he had no security clearance I had to fire him. I sure hope that was worth it to him.

• Like 2
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, BigK said:

I've never heard of someone who popped dirty for weed get federally prosecute for owning firearms, but I guess it could happen.

There are plenty of cases of people who can no longer own firearms because they’ve been caught with small, but still felony amounts of marijuana  

Think of it like this.  While many states (Tennessee is not one of them) have either decriminalized or made a misdemeanor of small amounts of marijuana, if you’re caught with a fraction of a gram over that limit it’s generally a felony charge.

You may or may not be able to plea that down.  It’s a toss up depending on where you got caught. 

Had to take a drug test yesterday for new employment. Personally, I'm in favor of legalizing Mary Jane. And hope that once enough states legalize it, so will the Feds. The war on drugs has been a huge and incredibly costly mistake. But I know that's a minority opinion around here. I'm okay with that.

• Like 2

As much as I think recreational drug use shows poor judgement, I don't care if others do it. 

However, I do believe all employers should be free to run a drug-free workplace if they choose and some jobs should still be forced to require employees to be drug-free even it becomes legal.

• Like 2

Recreational pot smoking is no worse than recreational drinking. In fact, I'd argue that alcohol is worse for the body in just about every measurable way. Eventually people will realize it doesn't make sense to criminalize it any longer. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

There are plenty of cases of people who can no longer own firearms because they’ve been caught with small, but still felony amounts of marijuana  

Think of it like this.  While many states (Tennessee is not one of them) have either decriminalized or made a misdemeanor of small amounts of marijuana, if you’re caught with a fraction of a gram over that limit it’s generally a felony charge.

You may or may not be able to plea that down.  It’s a toss up depending on where you got caught. 

True, but that's for being convicted of a felony drug charge. I meant nobody from the ATF is gonna come knocking on your door if you fail a piss test.

1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

Recreational pot smoking is no worse than recreational drinking. In fact, I'd argue that alcohol is worse for the body in just about every measurable way. Eventually people will realize it doesn't make sense to criminalize it any longer. 

I agree with you about alcohol being worse for your health. I'd like to see a reliable breathalyzer test equivalent before we decriminalize it nationally, but as long as laws against transporting it in your car persist, I'd be in favor.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Moped said:

. Personally, I'm in favor of legalizing Mary Jane. And hope that once enough states legalize it, so will the Feds. The war on drugs has been a huge and incredibly costly mistake.

I voted to legalize pot in Washington, thinking that doing so would remove the criminal element from the trade. It didn't work that way, though, as illegal pot became easier to get and less risky for the sellers. The legal pot is available EVERYWHERE. There are stores in every small town, so if a person wants to be legal they can go and get their dope there. But that dope is taxed, and the business have overhead that makes the legal stuff considerably more expensive than the illegal stuff. So the illegal stuff is still there, and arguably more popular than ever. You can safely carry black market dope without fear of arrest since it's indistinguishable from the legal stuff.  The instances of driving under the influence increased significantly in Washington, too, after marijuana was legalized.  If I had it to vote on again I would vote against legalization. That law of unintended consequences is a big one.

• Like 5

Legalizing it didn't do much to reduce the criminal element from what i've heard. Cartels are using their money to create grow operations and i've heard they take out the competition. California is still full of illegal grow ops.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-07-11/illegal-marijuana-grows-have-overrun-the-california-desert

https://www.denver7.com/news/local-news/marijuana/mexican-drug-cartels-are-taking-full-advantage-of-colorados-marijuana-laws

yes, these are older links. I'm not read-in on the latest details but i can't imagine things have improved.....

Edited by NoBanStan