Governor Lee saying we should take guns, not nuts into custody.

TN Governor calls out NRA for wanting to use laws on the books instead of passing Red Flag.
From the article:
"Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee's administration accused the National Rifle Association of wanting to use involuntary commitment laws "to round up mentally ill people and deprive them of other liberties," according to documents drafted by the Republican's staffers as part of their initial attempt to pass a gun control proposal earlier this year.

Tennessee laws that allow committing people without their permission if they pose "a substantial likelihood of serious harm" due to a "mental illness or serious emotional disturbance."
"Not only is the NRA's proposal impractical — it would drastically expand the scope of government," one of the memos reads."

Yeah, we had mental hospitals for those who needed treatment, and to keep those who were serious dangers to themselves or others off out streets, now they are the “homeless” and wander about panhandling and stealing to survive.

Lets don’t use the laws on our books, just give more power to the 4th branch of government (LE) to determine how we live our lives. The current involuntary committal laws use medical professionals to determine who gets held as a danger, the governor’s plan is like the FBI taking people re Jan. 06, more power for his pet Departments. How about we take some of the half billion dollars we gave the Kneeling Titans for their new stadium and put it back to work opening up our closed mental hospitals?

Lee is exactly what I thought he would be, second in the line of Haslam Democrats wearing an “R”. He has met with the "Tennessee Three" and is working with them to institute "common sense gun laws" in his "Official Oppression Special Session"!

• Angry 10

The involuntary commitment, as I understand it, starts a mental health evaluation.  If warranted, continued treatment is initiated.  If not person is released.  He speaks of 'depriving' someone of their liberties...what about the gunowner who is maliciously attacked via the RFL?  Not worried about their liberties?  Additionally, the RFL does not start any mental health eval or treatment, nor does it tae the person off the street to prevent other forms of violence.

The NRA has proven to be a disappointment with their compromising of other people's rights and resources. Before too long they won't have anything to bargain with and the left will just laugh when they approach

Sometime this week I'll try to post the letter I sent my state representative last month on this issue.  There's already a comprehensive statutory involuntary commitment process in TN that renders unnecessary the type of RFL law touted by Gov. Lee and company.

Still they want to pass a new law. To a man with only a hammer, every problem is a nail.

• Like 1

I tell you, certain types of people go into politics and they usually are of the lowliest variety.  The Governor of TN has proven he is not an exception to this rule. 

So sad.   It's unfortunate we have to keep voting for things we are not suppose to vote for, such as our civil rights and liberties.   

Someone needs to let Governor Lee know that the Bill of Rights is not merely a fun story used for entertainment or a museum artifact.  It is the laws that makes our nation what it is and separates us from the fascist and authoritarian regimes around the world.  But, many of these politicians yearn to be dictators themselves and these rights are just obstacles in their path. 

I actually have more respect for an anti-gun Democrat who is honest about his/her views than a phony RINO pretending to be pro-Liberty and supportive of our rights so they can extort votes from us.

• Like 1