Ruger 10/22 Custom Flyer

Hey TGO I am looking for information if possible -

I have a Ruger 10/22 with the ER Shaw bull barrel and Ruger receiver and bolt-upgraded springs and extractor-

I have noticed that the first round out of the magazine produces a 1-inch flyer-always above and to the left-

I have tried several magazines all with the same results-

After the first round, it settles into 1/2 inch group at 50 yards-

Does anyone have an experience with the same and possibly a cause and fix-

????

IMG_2606.JPG

I'm assuming your taking about the first-shot (cold bore) rather than the first round of each magazine.  I would hazard a guess that you have a minor obstruction in the bore (build up of powder or lead/copper fouling) that heats up with the first shot or 2 and the issue goes away until the barrel cools.  This can even an issue on a perfectly clean barrel where oil is left in the barrel until it is blown out by the first round.    

Google tells me this is more common than thought.  General idea is that the first round, being manually chambered and not under the full power of the action cycling as it is after subsequent rounds is not chambering the round fully, completely, or good enough. 

On that first round, try pulling the bolt all the way back and letting it fly home under it's own power.  Don't ride it.  Or maybe even give it a little nudge after it's loaded.

I think it would be real easy to verify.  When you're on the 9th round in a magazine, drop it and insert a full mag, then keep firing.

Can't remember having this issue on mine but it's a good excuse to go out shooting and see if there is a difference.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
33 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Google tells me this is more common that thought.  General idea is that the first round, being manually chambered and not under the full power of the action cycling as it is after subsequent rounds is not chambering the round fully, completely, or good enough. 

On that first round, try pulling the bolt all the way back and letting it fly home under it's own power.  Don't ride it.  Or maybe even give it a little nudge after it's loaded.

I think it would be real easy to verify.  When you're on the 9th round in a magazine, drop it and insert a full mag, then keep firing.

Can't remember having this issue on mine but it's a good excuse to go out shooting and see if there is a difference.

I will try this next time out-

Wish I had known this morning I could have tested the theory-

And it is on every first round-regardless of the barrel being cool or hot-

2 hours ago, Garufa said:

General idea is that the first round, being manually chambered and not under the full power of the action cycling as it is after subsequent rounds is not chambering the round fully, completely, or good enough. 

Here is your answer

1 hour ago, krunchnik said:

And it is on every first round-regardless of the barrel being cool or hot-

I don't see why the order of the cartridge coming out of the mag could make any difference.  Once out of the mag, it is under the total control of the barrel and the rifling.  

Have you tried manually loading just one round and see what that does?

Try just loading 1 round into the mag and then 2, etc and see if it happens. 

I am wondering if it isn’t shaving a piece of lead due to extra pressure from the full mag. It would probably take it from the same spot each time. 

or after loading your mag as normal, pull the unfired bullet and inspect it. 

Testing by loading without the mag is a good  test as well.  It will tell you if it is the bore or the magazine. 

As to what others in the firearm industry-it's the difference in being loaded from hand or by the bolt loading after firing-

I am finding this to be very typical for the 10/22-

Some are saying to actually push on the bolt lever after loaded and put more pressure on the bolt-