Inherited 1911

MPGlock

I’m no 1911 expert but the NM in the serial number may stand for National Match. In that case it wouldn’t be a standard mil-spec. I’m sure someone will jump in on this. 

I think some of the mil-spec Springfield Armory 1911’s had the NM prefix. 
It use to be a rumor that the NM prefix meant the gun was made or at least finished in the US as opposed to Brazil. 
Don’t know if any of this is true. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, derf said:

I’m no 1911 expert but the NM in the serial number may stand for National Match. In that case it wouldn’t be a standard mil-spec. I’m sure someone will jump in on this. 

It in no way stands for National Match.  At one time it did mean that the majority of final production was completed in the US.   I don’t know if that still holds true or not.

• Like 2

Some more pictures would help, does it have standard GI Sights, and is the slide marked with A1 if so it's the standard basic GI Mod. As stated the NM destination mark means it was finished in the USA. They are good guns, I've had a few SA's and they shot great, they also make a good base gun for a custom build. 

• Like 1
On 6/10/2023 at 11:18 PM, hipower said:

Looks similar, from what I see, to a Springer I got from my Dad. Korean ar era he said. But the serial number is higher than on yours.

Thanks Larry, he got it from his dad who was Navy during WWII and re-enlisted as Marine for Korea. Might be around same era?

The WWll models weren't marked like that, the style of serial number is what they use in modern times. Here is a pic of an original SA 1915 War era 1911. Notice the Slide Markings, and the Frame Markings with the Inspector Stamps, and the way the serial number is done, plus the finish. The second set of pics are of a 2020 SA WWll Reproduction they made. Notice how everything is marked on it compared to the original. Hope this helps, like I stated they are great guns and make a great base for custom build's, I had several of the basic GI versions and they were great guns.

Pictures of the original 1915.sp1-1.thumb.jpg.b5d21dab18bcf6a0457baa0d089add5b.jpgspr2.jpg.e02da7312871ee70003dc3a922469505.jpgspr3.jpg.a021f622c54af9838e575c7af89c653b.jpgspr4.jpg.0a1c97d9ad2e165610a0aa7f836ca7d8.jpgspr8.jpg.8c3472ea32b510a7644727705bed26a1.jpgspr9.thumb.jpg.4a086ce5be85b86b9a673f5e045e5438.jpgspr11.thumb.jpg.6c8b4eeafd007c5abd4fcbca909008c1.jpgspr5-768x576.jpg.21266da11768349bfae67d2b50cb23b3.jpg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MPGlock said:

Thanks Larry, he got it from his dad who was Navy during WWII and re-enlisted as Marine for Korea. Might be around same era?

Possible. Maybe. Never really checked into this one. Just shoot it and go on.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...