NY shooter had carry permit

A buddy and I were discussing this article on WBIR's page about the 10% increase of HCP's in Knox county (an "explosion" apparently to WBIR's copywriters :up:).

One of the comments at the bottom says:

The headlines I saw earlier stated the shooters in NY and Pa. both had permits, and its pretty clear they were unstable!!!

I did some quick googling, and found this article about Jiverly Wong (the NY immigration house shooter).

Harder also confirmed Wong had bought at least one gun at Gander Mountain. Harder has seen records of Wong's gun purchases because requests for pistol permits go through the sheriff's office.

Okay, this sounds like a purchase / TBI - like check that he went through each time he bought a new gun or traded.

Now this quote from ABCnews.com says:

On Friday, a depressed and angry Jiverly Wong used a 9 mm and .45-caliber handgun to kill 13 immigrants and service center employees in Binghamton, N.Y., police said. Earlier that day, the ethnic Chinese immigrant from Vietnam mailed an envelope to a Syracuse television station. In it were his gun permit, photos of him smiling while hoisting shiny, big handguns, and his driver's license.

What does "gun permit" mean? It can mean any number of things to me.

I did some further digging and found the TV station's website that recieved the letter from Wong. Here's the original story where they reported receiving the letter.

What began as a normal day in our newsroom took a sharp turn when this arrived. A letter, photographs of Wong with weapons, what appears to be his driver’s license and his pistol permit.

Still nothing of meaning. I googled "new york pistol permit" and I found this picture:

ALeqM5iTaR51-7h_3MetfEmYQ_4HcD7srg

There's no denying that, he had a true HCP.

The media is going to have a field day.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj

Ok, here is my question. That picture of the permit on the top left, it says

Nationality____American____ Nope, He was not, could barely speak english.

Guest Seminole

Even if it was a carry permit, so what? People with driving licenses commit vehicular homicide all the time. The carry permit is not a murder permit any more than a driver's license is a license to murder.

Ok, here is my question. That picture of the permit on the top left, it says

Nationality____American____ Nope, He was not, could barely speak english

Ablity to speak grammatically correct English is not a requirement for citizenship. If it were, many of us would be in trouble! :koolaid:

Guest Guitarsnguns

As you all probably know; you can't own, buy or carry a handgun (must be registerd) in the state of N.Y. without one. On the positive side of this, if there is one, there are NO restrictions on where and when you can carry once you have jumped through hoops, paid your fees and waited a really long time to get this permit.

Even if it was a carry permit, so what? People with driving licenses commit vehicular homicide all the time. The carry permit is not a murder permit any more than a driver's license is a license to murder.

True, but it detracts from the argument many of us use that Permit holders are law abiding and not the ones you have to worry about.

As you all probably know; you can't own, buy or carry a handgun (must be registerd) in the state of N.Y. without one. ..

NY state permit to BUY and OWN a handgun is quite different than NY state permit to CARRY a handgun.

- OS

Guest db99wj

Ablity to speak grammatically correct English is not a requirement for citizenship. If it were, many of us would be in trouble! :koolaid:

I thought he wasn't a citizen? He got kicked out of the school that he attached.?

Guest Seminole
I thought he wasn't a citizen? He got kicked out of the school that he attached.?

I don't know for sure whether he was or not--except that, as someone pointed out, his permit says he was a U.S. citizen. If that's true, he must have already applied for citizenship and been naturalized. I'm not an expert on NY state law, but it would be really interesting to see on what grounds he was given a carry permit. I understand they're not easy to get.

And it sounds like the building he shot up wasn't technically a school, although it did provide classes. According to wikipedia "the American Civic Association in Binghamton provides citizenship, cultural, and language assistance to the local immigrant community." Sounds like it was a community organization dedicated to helping immigrants in a number of ways, including language classes.

At any rate, it was certainly a bad scene. Too bad that, being New York, there weren't other armed people there capable of stopping him.

NY state permit to BUY and OWN a handgun is quite different than NY state permit to CARRY a handgun.

- OS

Quite true, but apparently this defect had a permit to carry as illustrated in the picture. Even carried an XD at one point! :poop:Just messin' with ya, OS.

Edited by Garufa
Quite true, but apparently this defect had a permit to carry as illustrated in the picture. Even carried an XD at one point! :poop:Just messin' with ya, OS.

Haw! Well, actually, looks like previous guns on permit were:

Ruger p-90 .45

Glock 17 9mm

XD 9mm

Barretta 9mm

Ruger p-90 .45 (again)

And finally the Beretta PX4 .45

All the previous ones are strikethrough ; I guess you can only be "certified" for one gun at a time or some such w/ NY carry permit. Dunno.

- OS