Forum Problems (April 10, 2009) ... This SUCKS!

• Administrator

We had a problem with our database that was at the very least contributing heavily to the server performance issues we have had all day. Because of this, we were forced to roll back to a backup made last night.

I've managed to strip out all of the offending code and get us back to where we should be... but we have essentially lost one day's worth of posts and new member registrations.

To say that I'm unhappy about this would be an understatement.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone that can make this stuff work has my undying support. keep up the good work. i can tolerate a glitch once in a while without blood pressure getting out of hand.

Yep!!

One good thing....it may have killed a few threads that were dying a slow agonizing death....lol

Not being critical, just asking, but didn't this just happen a few days ago or in the past week or two as well? where we had to roll back to a previous backup and lost a bunch of new posts?

Perhaps we could have the backup done 4 times per day instead of just one? (just guessing here). I don't know how much the backup slows down the forum while it is in progress.

• Administrator

I think the last time it happened was a few months back. Possibly before we even had to move to the new server.

Backups aren't time consuming but they do require that the forum is shut down while they occur and they do eat up some space on our server until I offload them. If I were to do it more than once a day, I'm afraid people might complain about the downtime.

I'm looking into some other options right now as well. One of our members suggested hosting with Amazon's Elastic Computing 2 (EC2) service and I've got to do some investigating there. It would mean an almost infinite jump in available storage capacity and bandwidth, but there are other concerns that I need to become comfortable with before making any moves.

Right now we have what the highest tier of virtual server hosting with our current provider. I'm not entirely convinced that we are exceeding the limits of that system, but there is clearly a problem that I've not been able to pinpoint the cause of.

Still working on it!

To be honest the inner workings of the board are over my head. But when I was looking for imaging software to make backups of my hard drive, I found some that if the operating system is still running (which it is of course) it somehow makes a quick image then backs that up...or something like that. Now of course any changes you make from that time forward won't be included in the backup.

Is there anything like that that could be used on the board? You know...take a quick image that wouldn't require it being shut down to back up?

Like I said...this is a little beyond me so if this is silly or impossiable...just look over me...lol

Guest db99wj

Well crap. I go outside all day, come back and see all these posts gone, man some of my best material was used yesterday. I mean, really, some of the funniest stuff you have ever read in your life was on here, that I put up Friday morning, I kid you not, I mean, it had me rolling in the floor, and since that was the case, it would have really had Caynracer Rolling On The Floor Laughing His A$$ Off!!!

O well, what can you do.

Dave, it happens, it sucks, and we know you are doing everything you can to try to make sure it doesn't happen. You are running a great site, it's growing and reaching a lot of people. Besides, it all the providers fault! Crazy add ons.

• Administrator

Update...

I've thrown the gauntlet down with our web hosting provider. If they can't get the server fixed, we're moving elsewhere. More on this as events warrant but I've had enough of this as I'm sure you all have as well.

Well crap. I go outside all day, come back and see all these posts gone, man some of my best material was used yesterday. I mean, really, some of the funniest stuff you have ever read in your life was on here, that I put up Friday morning, I kid you not, I mean, it had me rolling in the floor, and since that was the case, it would have really had Caynracer Rolling On The Floor Laughing His A$$ Off!!!

O well, what can you do.

You with funny material! :screwy:

Naa....I'll believe it when I see it :)

Edited by strickj