Are there any features that you'd like to see?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not plan on being offended. I plan on having a good time and enjoying my stay. My point was only that some people might be offended by something that gets posted. We do have a few female members and as we all know, boys will be boys, so in order to prevent people from being run off by a thread that gets out of hand, there should be (and is) a way to have it removed before angering anyone.

Glad you have thick skin Reef, I am sure it comes in handy.

Guest Archimedes

The only time I remember being really offended about something was a few months after 9/11 some Mexican gamers that I play with started using little phrases like 'kaMEXkazi,' 'for Allah,' and some nonsense about planes.

I just thought that was very inappropriate and it made my heart sink a little.

I would think that, even though some citizens of other countries don't really love the USA, people would realize that if it can happen to the USA, it can happen in their country.

Anyway, this is waaaayyy off-topic.

Would anyone be interested in chat rooms?

Chat about HCPs, pistols, rifles, or whatever.

Little virtual meeting rooms for us all to gather in live chat.

Then again, there's always MSN, AIM, or the like.

I use AIM, mostly. ArchimaxB is my SN.

~Archi

P. S. - I hope no one was offended by my post about women and guns. It was just for laughs.

Guest Archimedes

There are two major programs in the PC gaming community: Ventrillo and TeamSpeak.

I hate Vent with a passion. Teamspeak is pretty sweet.

It's what we use for comms in my gaming circle.

I have a tutorial somewhere on how to set it up.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post it.

http://www.goteamspeak.com/

The client is all you need to connect to a server:

http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php?page=downloads&id=1a

I know some good free servers or I could set up one myself.

If you feel like playing, look for the XOBLAB servers. They are good public servers that let you make your own private channels.

~Archi

Yeah, we tried Ventrilo. It actually worked pretty well, even for dial-up. I talked to a number of people on it. But it was a constant hassle trying to get someone to reinstalled it after system crashes and whatnot. I don't think the commitment was ever there to make it work.

I used to run a chat room over on GEnie back in the old days before the Web. You have to set up a time that is reasonable for everyone to meet. After a while, having to be a moderator at a set time gets to be a hassle. You need enough people to rotate the moderator position or it gets old in a hurry.

I guess one of the IMs would work. Someone else should take the lead on that besides me. I don't use an IM right now. Looked into it a few months ago and decided to pass. But if there is one with sufficient security built in, I'd be willing to give it a try. I downloaded Trillian Pro 4.0 the other day. It provides a chat client for AIM, ICQ, MSN, and Yahoo Messenger. I think it has a few limitations with AIM but supports stuff like audio chat, file transfers, group chats and chat rooms. Again, I'm not up to speed on this area, so someone else would have to make a suggestion.

There are two major programs in the PC gaming community: Ventrillo and TeamSpeak.

I hate Vent with a passion. Teamspeak is pretty sweet.

Yeah, we went through a big discussion over on the other board about which is better. The gamers seem to like Teamspeak, although as I recall it uses more resources. I remember that Vent was a bit funky to get the settings right, but it worked OK after you figured it out.

Again, I'll defer to someone else who knows more than I do.

Guest Archimedes
I downloaded Trillian Pro 4.0 the other day.

I use Trillian Basic. I really like it.

Archimedes, what games are you playing? I'm playing BF2 a ton. I have 2142 but compared to BF2 it just sucks.

Well, I'm somewhat embarassed to admit I still play Star Wars: Jedi Academy. I have BF1942, SW:Battlefront 1 and 2. I've been meaning to pick up either BF2 or 2142, but I was waiting to see which is better. Apparently, BF2 is. I've not heard one person say 2142 was better.

... my co-workers would get a little scared to hear me talking firearms to "no one in particular."

LOL! Indeed.

The gamers seem to like Teamspeak, although as I recall it uses more resources. I remember that Vent was a bit funky to get the settings right, but it worked OK after you figured it out.

There's always a hot debate between the two camps. I just like TS better. It's easier to set up and it sounds better and it's not nearly as annoying. :rolleyes:

~Archi

• Administrator
Can we add gun shops and websites to the review capability?

I will certainly add gun shops. As for web sites, I'm thinking about incorporating a "links" database that folks can add to at their leisure. Perhaps that would be a better place for it?

Not sure if this is something you can control or not Tungsten but I noticed on the Inbox that it seems to me that the message indication icons are reversed for unread and read mail. It appears that the read mail icon is a sealed envelope and the unread mail is an unsealed envelope. That seems backwards to me. I can deal with it no problem, just curious if I was the only one that had noticed.

• Administrator
Not sure if this is something you can control or not Tungsten but I noticed on the Inbox that it seems to me that the message indication icons are reversed for unread and read mail. It appears that the read mail icon is a sealed envelope and the unread mail is an unsealed envelope. That seems backwards to me. I can deal with it no problem, just curious if I was the only one that had noticed.

I do see what you're saying. And for some goofy reason that's the way that the default icons look in the software. I can easily change it, but maybe I'll use some better icons when I do. :D

• Administrator
I do see what you're saying. And for some goofy reason that's the way that the default icons look in the software. I can easily change it, but maybe I'll use some better icons when I do. :D

And it didn't take long for me to find a better set of icons. Everyone will need to clear their web browser cache in order to see it, or at least force their web browser to load the new icons on that particular page.

Just go to the PM Box page and then hold down the Shift key on your keyboard while you click the Refresh icon on your web browser. That will force the new icons to load.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
can we get the minimum characters to post changed? i think it's like 5 right now

Give me an example of a reply that might take less than five characters and still be worth posting? One word replies like "Yes" or "No" can be cryptic if the person posting doesn't quote the original message. It's also pretty annoying when you see people post replies like

" :rock: "

And nothing else.