Ruger P95 Issue

Okay, I am new to handguns, but I had a problem right from the start with my "new" P95. Any help would be appreciated.

I inserted the magazine, pulled back the slide, and fired the first round. Second round chambered, but the gun will not shoot. If I pull the slide back again (which ejects the second round and chambers the third round), it will fire. But, again on the fourth round, it will not fire.

The armorer for one of the PDs in TN indicated (over the phone) that it likely is a problem with the single-action seer. Does this sound right to anyone else? Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

I doubt anyone can really tell you over a message board. Just let someone take a look that knows a little about pistols. Thats your best bet.

One thing you can check for is to make sure the slide is all the way forward and locked. If it is locked and will not fire you do have some sort of mechanical problem

Guest Hyaloid

Call Ruger. They have some of the best customer support. If necessary, mail it back to them. Ask them to cover your shipping, and they will reimburse you the shipping costs.

Call Ruger. They have some of the best customer support. If necessary, mail it back to them. Ask them to cover your shipping, and they will reimburse you the shipping costs.

Big ole Plus One on that.

I have never used them but hear that's Ruger customer support is excellent. I know that is the case with Smith&Wesson and SIG.

This is something people dont consider when buying. That customer support costs money and adds value, thus the gun is more expensive.

Taurus, otoh, has the lousiest, crappiest customer support I have probably ever seen. I have waited over a year for a thumbpiece and screw for a revolver.

Okay, I am new to handguns, but I had a problem right from the start with my "new" P95. Any help would be appreciated.

I inserted the magazine, pulled back the slide, and fired the first round. Second round chambered, but the gun will not shoot. If I pull the slide back again (which ejects the second round and chambers the third round), it will fire. But, again on the fourth round, it will not fire.

The armorer for one of the PDs in TN indicated (over the phone) that it likely is a problem with the single-action seer. Does this sound right to anyone else? Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

It could only be a SA sear issue if the only way to fire the gun is by double-action. It sounds to me like the slide was not fully returning to battery after firing, since I gather that you didn't have to lower the hammer after racking the slide, in order to get it to fire. What kind of ammunition were you using?

The only other thing I can think of is that there is a problem with the disconnecter not resetting after returning to battery.

Best of luck!

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE - Well, Ruger customer service indicated that the P95 likely had a firing pin problem. Jim Mills at Ruger in Arizona said he had not seen this particular problem before, but had heard about it from others at Ruger. I sent the gun to him (shipping of $50) and waited 2 1/2 weeks. The gun came back on Friday and appears to be in good working order.

THE GOOD - Ruger took care of the problem and returned it before originally promised. The folks at Ruger are fairly helpful, if (and only if) you ask them a direct question.

THE BAD - Ruger is not particularly good at communication. I had to specifically ask about shipping costs (they indicated they would reimburse me the $50 if I sent them a receipt) and they never indicated what was the actual problem or what service was performed. The letter (if you can call it that) returned with the gun said, and I quote, "REPAIRED, SAFETY INSPECTION, RETURNED".

I guess I should be thankful that the gun now works and it didn't cost anything for the repair. But, I just don't understand why I had to pry information out of them. Oh well, just thought I would provide an update on this. Thanks to those who responded.