Latest Aquisition...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help it that I'm 3rd generation Polock, on my mom's side... It's in my blood, man! ;)

I noticed you had one back there... I've been eyeing those Polish Maks (9x18), and have seen a few Polish TT-33s (7.62x25), too. Thank goodness these mil-surp pieces are pretty cheap.

Slowly but surely...

...First Annual Cabbage Shoot and Kielbasa BBQ at Molon's next month!! :D...

Believe it or not... I've actually got a half-dozen rotten heads of cabbage out back... and a drum of saurkraut fermenting in the basement...

I've never shot cabbage, but I might save them for the class III shoot... They'll be nice and ripe by then :P

:D Time to stock up on some 7.62x54R.

Eddie

Let us know if you find some smoking deals on 5.45x39 as well, since Dan and I are getting ready to order select fire AK-74s :P

I figure 10k rounds should be enough to keep us going for a few months ;)

I have a Russian M44 1948 model.

Don't know what advice you need, but I have found that Bulgarian light ball works better than Hungarian heavy ball, as far as actioning the bolt.

Do all the numbers match? And you know about cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo?

They are fun to shoot, and the bayonet makes a handy tool for cooking hotdogs over the fire!

Eddie

Let us know if you find some smoking deals on 5.45x39 as well, since Dan and I are getting ready to order select fire AK-74s :P

I figure 10k rounds should be enough to keep us going for a few months ;)

www.jgsales.com has 1080rd tins of 53gr steel-core for $129 + shipping. That's about the cheapest I've found... I am going to try and order a tin every couple of months. But, if you guys swing a bulk purchase deal with them... count me in on it!

I'll be ordering 7.62x54R from them as well... 300rd tins for $39 :D

I have a Russian M44 1948 model.

Don't know what advice you need, but I have found that Bulgarian light ball works better than Hungarian heavy ball, as far as actioning the bolt.

Do all the numbers match? And you know about cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo?

They are fun to shoot, and the bayonet makes a handy tool for cooking hotdogs over the fire!

Aye... Mercuric salts are death to steel. I'll be cleaning it and the Tantal religiously after shooting ammo with corrosive primers!

The ammo advice is appreciated... that's in line with what I've heard elsewhere. I have no preconceived notions about this thing being a tack-driver... but it is all matching. All I hope for it to be is a cheap plinker with some sentimental value. The only other advice I'd seek would be concerning things about the maintenance, accessories & spare parts I should keep an eye out for. I was considering putting a muzzle-brake on it...?

Is it worthwhile to disassemble and re-bed these rifles?

As I understand, it is a seldom-fired, unissued rifle still with 90% of it's blueing. The Polish specimens are supposedly some of the most sought-after... there was several similar Polish M44s on gunbroker which were going for significantly more $$$ (got this one for $100).

I intend to use the bayonet to cook kielbasa for Dan at the Class III shoot :D.

Guest ETS_Inc

I don't know which will have a bigger muzzle blast for cooking kielbasa, your M44, or Joe's DSArms OSW (if he ever actually gets it in his hands :D ).

PLEASE tell me you're not making kimche.....

Nope :( Just saurkraut... We ended up with way more cabbage than we needed, so, it's going bad.

I'll be ordering 7.62x54R from them as well... 300rd tins for $39 :up:

Ordered myself some x54R last night... it'll be nice if it gets here by this weekend, it should.

The only other advice I'd seek would be concerning things about the maintenance, accessories & spare parts I should keep an eye out for. I was considering putting a muzzle-brake on it...?

I have put several hundred rounds through mine since I bought it back in April. As for maintenance I clean the bore and bolt face with some ammoniated window cleaner I bought on the cheap at WalMart, then clean the rest of it in the normal manner.

I don't know about puttting a muzzle brake on it. There is not much room at the end of the barrel past the sight and the bayonet flips out and fits over the end of the barrel. I have read that it is recommended to shoot it for accuracy with the bayonet extended, but I have found mine shoots about the same either way. And it is probably more accurate than I can shoot anyway.

Check out Cheaper than Dirt for accessories. Here is a link for a pack of them. They have other stuff too.

Mosin Nagant Accessory Pack Sling, Ammo Pouch, Grease Can

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MGR330-41598-1404.html

I don't know about re-bedding the rifle.

You will have fun shooting it for sure.

Elliott you know you want one:stir: even if the rate of fire tends to be slow.

and don't forget the bayonet makes a handy method to keep the rifle from falling in the mud when you lean it against a tree. Just stick it in the ground instead. Besides that there is no need to twist when you pull it out of someone either.

and Ich macht der BLAUKRAUT! Keine roterkraut..mit Gosen oder sheinken und kleise!

pink tofu, what?

For accessories, there is only one that you need for the M44: a recoil pad, either the one you wear on your shoulder, or one that slips onto the stock. Especially if you're going to be shooting heavy ball ammo. The accessory pack from CTD is nice too.

Man...everyone is getting an M44...its starting to make me wonder if I shouldn't get one!!

and Ich macht der BLAUKRAUT! Keine roterkraut..mit Gosen oder sheinken und kleise!

:(

You make blue no red cabbage with who or who and what?:up:

Well... the folks on the other end of the shipping didn't really have their ducks in a row this week. They told me today that they would send it on Monday :D.

I just can't catch a break when it comes to having a firearm shipped... Serves me right for bidding on this thing spur-of-the-moment in the middle of the night. Never again.

I'm sure once it arrives I will be happy with it. I've got a case of 7.62x54R though... It beat the rifle here, and I ordered it several days afterwards.

Heh! Yeah right...

I must be dreadfully unlucky then... I've got way more types of ammo than I have guns to fire it in.

Rainy-day stash, so to speak...

I'm considering making wall decorations out of the cut lids from all of these com-bloc ammo-tins, kinda like some folks do old license plates. I might start collecting those, so, keep me in mind.

I really like Mosin-Nagants. Lots of fun to shoot, and the price is so reasonable for that much fun.

It's sort of like the Garand. If you pronounce the name correctly, everyone looks at you like you are an idiot: MO-seen Nah-GON. I gave up on doing that long ago. I'm a shooter, not an educator.

Lots of info at http://7.62x54r.net/. And if you don't have a copy of Terence W. Lapin's book The Mosin-Nagant Rifle, you should order one.