Taurus PT1911

Guest Hyaloid

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never fired one, handled a half-dozen or so... The only negative impression I got, 2 points actually, was the integral lock on the hammer, and the serrations on the front of the slide (abberration, IMHO). If I got one... the hammer would be the first thing to go.

The heinie sights are nice, so is the finish. The grips are cheap... Overall, the build-quality was pretty good. But for the price, I'd rather get a Rock Island Armory Loaded Tactical and a nice holster.

Like I said, I have no trigger time on one, though... I'll leave that review up to somebody else.

Guest Hyaloid
Never fired one, handled a half-dozen or so... The only negative impression I got, 2 points actually, was the integral lock on the hammer, and the serrations on the front of the slide (abberration, IMHO). If I got one... the hammer would be the first thing to go.

The heinie sights are nice, so is the finish. The grips are cheap... Overall, the build-quality was pretty good. But for the price, I'd rather get a Rock Island Armory Loaded Tactical and a nice holster.

Like I said, I have no trigger time on one, though... I'll leave that review up to somebody else.

I was actually thinking of the RIA, or perhaps the Springfield GI series also, but for some reason this caught my eye.... I hope I don't catch the 1911 bug. :D

It's incurable... may as well resign yourself.

Of the three (RIA, Taurus or SA G.I.), I'd reccommend the RIA. Make sure you look at the Loaded Tactical. I've been far more impressed with the one I got my wife, than the Springfield Mil-Spec I had for a long time.

I can second that RIA Tactical recommendation. The PT1911 came out right about the time I started looking at my first gun. I found a good price on one in chattanooga at Sportsman's Warehouse (120$ less than what the same place is selling them for now, if they can get them), but I had to jump on it THAT day... I held off, it was still a little more than I wanted to pay. It is quite feature laden, but I've handled about 5 of them... the one back in November felt better than the later one's I've felt, but I was still a bit of a noob back then.

Anyways, I ended up going with a High Standard Mil-Spec from Hero-Gear. This is the same as the RIA Mil-Spec (or GI-Spec, whichever they are). It felt quite solid, and I enjoyed it quite a bit before I got the Baer. As far as accuracy with it... I let a much more experienced shooter handle it with his personal reloads (former Marine Rangemaster, IIRC, the brother in law of my shooting buddy that day). He shot a 5 shot group of under 2" at 20 yards, free hand. The last three of the group made a triangle about the size of a thumbnail.

I've handled a couple of the RIA Tacticals @ Hero-Gear, and I have to say, they do feel quite a bit better than the PT1911.

I'm sure the Taurus is a decent gun, but I'd give them both a look/feel in person, side by side, before I made that leap.

Mrs. Hero Gear could also chime in on the RIA Tactical, I'm sure.

BTW... you may not know it, but I DO believe you've already caught the 1911 bug... welcome to the club.

**BRENT**

Guest Mugster

I have one. Its way superior to anything in its price range and rivals much more expensive custom pieces. The finish is a bit weak iffy and the mags are iffy...but don't let that stop you. I have a springfield armory ultra compact...the pt1911 is superior in terms of the build.

Also, its a very accurate "service pistol". I can shoot 6" groups with it at 50 yards prone...at 25 yards, it just knocks the center out of the target.

I intend to buy another in stainless when i get the chance.

link:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/pt_080505/

Guest Mugster

Man, nobody has them in yet. I paid $583 out the door for the blued one (including tn sales tax)...I hope I can find a stainless one for about that same price. The next gunshow maybe whenever that is.

Guest BigJ45

A friend of mine has one that has been almost 100% reliable and shoots about 2" at 25 yards. If I was looking for a 1911 for less than $700.00 I would look very seriously at the STI Spartan IMHO it is the best value for the money.

Guest Steelharp
The main drawback with the RIA/Armscor/Charles-Daly 1911s is the fact that they use a cast frame, instead of a forged one... but, that will only be an issue if you shoot large quantities of really hot loads.

From what I understand, that has changed with the newer RIA's. The older ones with the stainless barrels were cast, but the newer ones with the parked (or whatever ya call it) barrels are forged frames and slides, etc.

But who knows? How can you tell for sure?

Ok... now I have my heart set on a RIA Tactical. Anyone have a lead on the best place to buy one?

My FFL and dealer Phil at Bellshire Hardware on Dickerson Rd. has them listed on Gunbroker for $425 buy it now. You should call him and get an out the door price.. 860-4212. He keeps several in stock at all times.

Guest Hyaloid
My FFL and dealer Phil at Bellshire Hardware on Dickerson Rd. has them listed on Gunbroker for $425 buy it now. You should call him and get an out the door price.. 860-4212. He keeps several in stock at all times.

Excellent. Thanks for the tip, when I get the funds (soon I hope, anyone wanna make an offer on a G19 :( ) I'll prolly be giving him a call!

I'll tell him you sent me... if he knows who ReefBlueCoupe is! :up:

Ok... now I have my heart set on a RIA Tactical.

Before I comment…. How much do you shoot? And what will be the purpose of this 1911… Target, Carry, Home Protection, plinking, or just wanting a 1911?

Is this the one that is in the $400 range new?

Guest Hyaloid
Before I comment…. How much do you shoot? And what will be the purpose of this 1911… Target, Carry, Home Protection, plinking, or just wanting a 1911?

Is this the one that is in the $400 range new?

I don't shoot as much as I'd like, but about 1-2X per month at the range, usually about 200-300 rounds per trip, including cheap .22 plinking.

It will be a general purpose 1911. I plan on carrying it, as well as having it for home defense. I just wanted one too! :usa:

Yeah, it runs about $410 or so from the looks of it.

Then (as a 1911 shooter) I would suggest that you get with your local dealer or maybe one of the forum dealers and see what they have available. The RIA is made by Amscor in the Philippines and marketed through Twin Pines Inc. RIA is a play on “Rock Island Arsenalâ€; which has absolutely nothing to do with RIA.

If you are going to shoot with the Tactical Tupperware guys (I am one of those also, so I say that in a very kind way.biggrin.gif) it won’t matter. But if you are going to shoot with the 1911 guys you will get your feelings hurt when you bring your new firearm to the range.

leaving.gif

Isn’t one of the SA models just a little more than that? :usa:

Guest Hyaloid
Then (as a 1911 shooter) I would suggest that you get with your local dealer or maybe one of the forum dealers and see what they have available. The RIA is made by Amscor in the Philippines and marketed through Twin Pines Inc. RIA is a play on “Rock Island Arsenal”; which has absolutely nothing to do with RIA.

If you are going to shoot with the Tactical Tupperware guys (I am one of those also, so I say that in a very kind way.biggrin.gif) it won’t matter. But if you are going to shoot with the 1911 guys you will get your feelings hurt when you bring your new firearm to the range.

leaving.gif

Isn’t one of the SA models just a little more than that? :usa:

I appreciate the input. Yeah, the GI model can be found for a little more. But, honestly, I could give a rat's ass what other folks think of my stuff. :D