DSA OSW: Full auto 11" FAL

My OSW arrived today

I had to wait 6 months for it to be built, but she is finally here!

As she came out of the box:

CIMG1395.jpg

Some big ugly guy holding it:

CIMG1396.jpg

After installing my YHM .308 can:

CIMG1398.jpg

CIMG1401.jpg

CIMG1402.jpg

CIMG1403.jpg

I will post a video of it being fired in the coming hours/days, but here is a quick range report:

I am amazed at the overall fit and finish of the rifle.

I got to handle a similar OSW and many other DSA rifles at SHOT 07, but I guess I had forgotten just how nice these rifles are.

One thing that I was not expecting, was the barrel was threaded 1/2 28, which is standard for the AR platform.

I was expecting the rifle to arrive with a standard FAL threading of 9/16 24 reverse. I had even ordered a YHM QD flashhider/suppressor adapter in this pitch to fit my .308 Phantom Suppressor to the OSW when it arrived.

I guess I will just install this on another FAL at a later date.

I first shot the OSW in both semi and then full auto without the suppressor.

Typical 7.62 sound, and to my surprise, not very much muzzle rise or recoil.

I had expected the 11" barrel to turn the OSW into a heavy hitting, fire breathing dragon, but I am happy to say that this rifle is very manageable and a joy to shoot in this CQB configuration.

I next installed my Yankee Hill Phantom .308 suppressor.

This is a very high quality suppressor, and the user has the ability to shoot both 5.56 and 7.62 through the same can.

This gives the user the option of only paying for one tax stamp, and one suppressor, but having the ability to shoot it off of both platforms.

The OSW ran very well suppressed, with a few FTE issues that I attribute to both ammo (surplus) and the fact that rifle needs around 300 rounds (per DSA) to get everything broken in.

The YHM suppressor makes this rifle sound about as loud as an unsuppressed 5.56 rifle.

**Actually, I would say it sounds about 20% more quite than unsuppressed 5.56mm.

Keep in mind you will still have the ballistic crack of the round, but that crack is further down range, and you will hear the round strike.

Overall I am about 243% happy with this rifle, and I am looking forward to burning up a few thousand rounds with it in the coming days/week.

I will try to update any critical range report info, and will do my best to post some action shots and footage as it becomes available.

(forgot my camera when we went to shoot it at lunch)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mrs. Hero Gear

Joe has had the most ridiculous smile on his face all day today.... You don't even know...................( :usa: = Joe + Full auto FAL)

He managed to refrain from firing it for about 15 minutes. (Took him that long to load some mags, get his other crap together, and steal my car....my car goes ALOT faster than his truck.)

Glad he got to go out and have some fun. He deserves it! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Well, Wes, Dan, Kelly, and myself went shooting after work Saturday and I several malfunctions with the FAL :up:

Double feeds, and FTE seemed to be the theme of the day.

Im a bit frustrated with the gun right now, as I have had issued with it 2/3 of the times I have taken it out shooting.

I will have our machinist and resident Fal expert try to help me dial the gun in, and if

I cant get it running and reliable, I think its going up on the auction block.

If this happens, I have my sights set on a select fire M14 that I will drop into a Sage stock.

Like this:

sage_stock2.jpg

Does DPMS make a select-fire version of their .308 AP4 Carbine? That would be pretty cool too.

Im sure I can get them to do a Post86 sample for us, but Im going to build a SR-25/Mk11 Mod 0 in the future, so will fill my .308 AR platform needs.

Guest ETS_Inc

If all else fails, I know this guy who builds post-86 samples from time to time. He might even be willing to hook-up a friend. Afterall, a post86 .308 AR isn't that much different than a 5.56 version.

Guest Mugster

Get yourself a cheap quart spray bottle from walmart and fill it full of 5w30 or that breakfree lube only stuff or even LSA if you have some, something heavier than gun oil. Field strip it and hose everything down, slap it back together and test fire it again. You should have oil and all kinds of crap getting slung around everywhere when fired, but it might run wet like that until it breaks in a little. If it still won't go and you are using mags made or recommended by whoever built it, i'd send it back and let them fix it.

Get yourself a cheap quart spray bottle from walmart and fill it full of 5w30 or that breakfree lube only stuff or even LSA if you have some, something heavier than gun oil. Field strip it and hose everything down, slap it back together and test fire it again. You should have oil and all kinds of crap getting slung around everywhere when fired, but it might run wet like that until it breaks in a little. If it still won't go and you are using mags made or recommended by whoever built it, i'd send it back and let them fix it.

Yeah, thanks for the tip. I will make sure she is nice and wet (that sounds dirty) next time I take her out, but I am 99% sure these are all gas system related problems.

I mean, I AM trying to throw .308 out of a barrel that is half the length the original design called for, full auto, AND suppressed.... :eek:

I think once I get the gas set, it should work better than it has in the past...but we will see.

Guest Mugster

Word on the short barrel. The old CAR-15's never did run very well. I'm surprised the M4 and the 16" ar clones run as well as they do. It only took 25-30 years to get the gas system right.

Guest ETS_Inc

With a short barrel AR, it's usually just a matter of replacing the standard buffer with a heavier one, and it often helps to put a small O-ring on the extractor spring. Those two cures are some of the easiest and best. Sometimes, it becomes necessary to open the gas port a bit, but a factory short barrel should be opened to the proper dimenion.