Coming out party ?

Guest Frazsteve

Guest SUNTZU

People think I'm a bad person, so I'm going to go hide. At least if people ask you questions due to your OC'ing, you can put a positive light on carrying.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People think I'm a bad person, so I'm going to go hide. At least if people ask you questions due to your OC'ing, you can put a positive light on carrying.

I have heard that as reason some OC as well. A chance to educate the public about carry in general.

• Administrator
I have heard that as reason some OC as well. A chance to educate the public about carry in general.

Eh, concealed carry can be just as educational and sometimes even more effective. I've had the pleasure of surprising a few acquaintances over the years with a remark about having my HCP and never going anywhere without a gun.

"Really? You carry a gun? I would have never guessed."

"Really? But you seem so normal. <laughter>"

"No ****?"

All of those are literal quotes. :up: And usually the exchange ends up with yes, I'm carrying right now - can't you tell? And... here's the name and number of some folks that I'd recommend that you take your carry permit class from. Sure, we can go shoot sometime. You're welcome to shoot anything I own. etc.

The element of surprise is a fun thing. :meh:

Guest JHatmaker
I wouldn't mind OC'ing sometime if a few others come along with me. But it ain't gonna be no "coming out party". Unless we also sport fanny-packs to carry all our accoutrements! :meh:

You mean like this?

FannyPack.jpg

Guest db99wj
Eh, concealed carry can be just as educational and sometimes even more effective. I've had the pleasure of surprising a few acquaintances over the years with a remark about having my HCP and never going anywhere without a gun.

"Really? You carry a gun? I would have never guessed."

"Really? But you seem so normal. <laughter>"

"No ****?"

All of those are literal quotes. :screwy: And usually the exchange ends up with yes, I'm carrying right now - can't you tell? And... here's the name and number of some folks that I'd recommend that you take your carry permit class from. Sure, we can go shoot sometime. You're welcome to shoot anything I own. etc.

The element of surprise is a fun thing. :screwy:

A friend of mine, just met about 7 months ago, we are part of a group that meets regularly, was talking to another guy in this same group, said something about the "range". I assumed the golf driving range, he likes to play golf, so I asked, "Ya'll headed to the driving range, he said.."No, the gun range"...I said really, I asked where, he told me, same place I shoot (RangeUSA), I asked, do you have your permit? He said, I sure do, and with that, pulled open is unbuttoned button down shirt to expose his XDm. Oh, nice, an XDm, I have my permit and carry a XD!" I showed him mine. We talked for awhile, he had only had his for about 6-7 months. Another friend was next to us, I just met him a month or so ago, but is close friends with the permit friend (try to keep up), and was noticably uncomfortable with the situation. Permit friend asked him, "Are you an anti-gun" might even through in "liberal", can't remember, but that is how permit friend is, and they guy said No, just have never been around them, ever. So permit friend I think is trying to get him to come to the range.

Anyway..OC vs CC, do what YOU feel comfortable with. I, for one, don't prefer OC, do it ever so often, would rather not bring any unwanted attention, don't want most of the people that I deal with on a day to day basis to know.

Guest Irish_Red

You know I have OCed for 7 months in TN and never had 1 person question me maybe it is just the way you carry your self in public.

You know I have OCed for 7 months in TN and never had 1 person question me maybe it is just the way you carry your self in public.

I think it has alot to do with the way you look, act, where you live, where you go, how big the gun, color of the holster and gun, sun's position to the earth, etc

Top it all off with the fact that most people can't tell you what their name is on a given day...lol

Guest crystalm
I think it has alot to do with the way you look, act, where you live, where you go, how big the gun, color of the holster and gun, sun's position to the earth, etc

Top it all off with the fact that most people can't tell you what their name is on a given day...lol

+1

Guest SUNTZU

Being in construction and working outside or in newly constructed buildings might have something to do with that. If I worked in an office around a bunch of suits it would probably be something different.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Irish_Red

I have to add that I rarely tuck in my shirt and I do work construction but I am in the office 50% of the time.

Guest Rick O'Shay

Crap, I live in Memphis and work in the hood. I'm not open carrying even if Mr. LaPierre takes over BHO's office.

My secret is their surprise.

I agree with this statement as well.

I never OC simply because 1. I'm young and like it or not people don't want to see a young man with a gun and 2. I dress age appropriately and as much as people don't want to see a young man with a gun they really don't want to see a young man in jeans and a t-shirt with a gun. No average person on the street is going to realize that I'm carrying in a hand made leather holster or that I saved all my nickels and dimes and bought a nice stainless HK. I'd like to think I look educated at least but what will that matter when someone who's been raised their whole life to be afraid of guns sees me OC'ing.