Home Defense Ammo? What brand/type do you use?

Guest VolMickey

Guest VolMickey

Got a 9mil, what's the best home defense ammo? I've seen the ads for Hornady and others, but not sure what's really a stopper in 9mil form. Thoughts?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MisterJimmy
Any JHP from any of the big, well reputed manufacturers will do you just fine.

+1

Although what I like to carry is Remington Golden Saber 124 gr in a standard pressure. Used to be able to find them for $15 for 25 on-line; lately the prices have moved up to the buck a round range; but if things continue I'll be using whatever I can find that will feed reliably and fire consistently.

Got a 9mil, what's the best home defense ammo? I've seen the ads for Hornady and others, but not sure what's really a stopper in 9mil form. Thoughts?

There's not really a magic "stopper" as pistols are poor incapacitaters to begin with no matter what caliber. There are however, loads that have been tested in true scientific settings (not shot at phonebooks,) and are considered acceptable for carry/duty use.

The best load is what...

A: Feeds reliably in your pistol.

B: Shoots accurately out of your pistol.

C: Fits your engagement scenario.

9 mm:

Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)

Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)

Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)

Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)

Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)

Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)

Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)

Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)

Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)

Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Id pick one of these and make sure your pistol likes it and worry not.

The list is from someone who does this stuff for a living...his post on this is here...

Service Pistol Duty and Self-Defense Loads - M4Carbine.net Forums

Guest bluecanary25

+2

'Member, shot placement is more important than style of bullet.

True that bigger holes makes for more leakage, just gotta make the holes. :meh:

• Administrator

I disagree. The major manufacturers put out some turds here and there. I used to carry Hornady TAP in my 9mm handguns until I got a little encouragement to seek out ballistics tests on them. They aren't all that great.

Now I carry Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P in my 9mms. Tests bear out that they provide good expansion and penetration. Shot placement is key, but it really doesn't matter if you're making all A-zone hits but you're not getting deep enough to cause significant trauma.

To the original poster: Do some research on whatever you decide you want to carry. Then buy some, shoot it and see if you and your gun both like it.

I asked these same questions and got the same answers. Then I researched them for myself and found that there are several that are about equally good man stoppers. HSTs and Ranger-T's are particularly good. That being said I also got a deal from Ammotogo on the Fed Tac LE +p+ and will use them as well, but mainly 124g +p HST or the same in Ranger-Ts.

....Now I carry Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P in my 9mms....

Georgia Arms makes this round also.

It's the same Gold Dot bullet on their ammo .. I see no reason why it's not the practical equivalent.

I just shot 100 rounds of it to check reliability in my XD's and Kahr, all AOK.

Can attest via the "feel" that it's certainly +p loaded.

- OS

Guest bkelm18
I disagree. The major manufacturers put out some turds here and there. I used to carry Hornady TAP in my 9mm handguns until I got a little encouragement to seek out ballistics tests on them. They aren't all that great.

There's a difference between being not all that great, and not working at all. They all still make holes. Remember the old addage: We want expansion, we NEED penetration.

I am using the new Winchester PDX1 HP. In 9mm and .45 ACP. The 9mm is 124 grain +P. The .45 ACP is a 230 grain HP. 20 to a box. I bought 2 boxes of each. I haven't shot any of it. Bought it to use in my Ruger P89 & P90 for carry defense. I have my HCP. gearyr

#1 buck or .223 55 grain soft points.

Seriously. A handgun shouldn't be your first choice for home defense.

Living in the country, I have a 12 gauge pump handy. In the city I'd keep an AR handy (less wallboard penetration). When traveling I take the AR.

Edited by enfield