Glock's new Model 21SF .45ACP

TGO David

• Administrator

Just some photos of the new Glock 21SF that was introduced at the Shotshow 2007 and is due to be released in March. One version will have the standard accessory rail and the second will have the picatinny accessory rail. Rumor has it that the US gov't is interested in the version with the picatinny rail.

The 21SF will be .45acp just like the Model 21 and includes an ambidextrous mag release and 13rd magazine capacity. Basically Glock's answer to the Springfield XD45.

Click the thumbnails for full-sized photos.

Glock21SF_standard.jpgGlock21SF_picatinny.jpg

I should note that I fully intend to own one of these once they are released. :up:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't impress you much? 13rds of 45acp in a slim form factor from Glock seems just about perfect to me.

The 21SF won't be realistically any slimmer than the regular 21 (uses the same exact size magazines). The (big?) difference is going to be in the depth of the grip, front-to-back, because they have removed significant portions of the front and back-strap volume from the polymer... They are trying to catch up with all of the other double-stack .45s on the market which already have ergonomic grips. I've heard the G21SF grip described as only slightly larger than a G17/22/31/37 grip.

I won't be getting one, simply because I don't care for the grip format of any Glock (other than the G36)... but I would be far more inclined to get a 10mm version, if they decide to develop a G20SF... That would be nice.

The G21SF would have been far more eagerly anticipated if it was a single-stack big brother to the G36, with 8 or 9+1 capacity... even I would buy that! But, as it stands... Glock has nothing new under the sun.

• Administrator
The 21SF won't be realistically any slimmer than the regular 21 (uses the same exact magazines).

Reportedly the magazines from the 21 won't work. Initial reports suggest that at the very least the new magazines are designed slightly differently to accommodate the ambidextrous magazine release. There might be other differences.

Reportedly the magazines from the 21 won't work. Initial reports suggest that at the very least the new magazines are designed slightly differently to accommodate the ambidextrous magazine release. There might be other differences.

Ah, I see that now after looking at a few other articles... perhaps the description I heard meant that the 21SF magazines could be used in the standard G21, but not vice-versa. That would make more sense.

• 3 weeks later...
.010" larger than what?

.451" - .010" = .441"

???

I am not aware of a caliber which is that diameter... Perhaps I'm missing something.

Where did .010" come from?? .45 ACP is nominally .452" dia.

Also where is the advantage of a smaller grip to most of us? I use a Hogue HandAll on my M21. Admittedly it is a handfull but comfortable and I don't consider my hands to be more than average size.

John

Guest triggertime

I'm not interested in the Glock 21SF at all and I hope it flops as fast as the .45GAP.

The fact that standard G21 magazines won't work because of the ambidextrous mag release is a dumb idea. The ambidextrous mag release itself is a dumb idea.

If that ambidextrous mag release is incorporated in to other Glock models, its going to leave alot of useless pre-existing standard capacity magazines in circulation if a new AWB passes.

• Administrator

Bad news for you, Glock has reportedly stated that the 4th generation of their handguns will include the ambidextrous mag release. Frankly, I am surprised that anyone would think that the ambi release is a "dumb idea". Not only are there lefties in the world, but in a fight your right hand or arm could be injured or completely incapacitated. Being able to drop a mag "weak handed" without readjusting your grip on the gun would strike me as being a very good thing.

It's no wonder that many other manufacturers have offered the ambi release for years now.

The .45GAP flopped because it was an answer to a question that no one had really asked.

Guest triggertime
Bad news for you, Glock has reportedly stated that the 4th generation of their handguns will include the ambidextrous mag release. Frankly, I am surprised that anyone would think that the ambi release is a "dumb idea". Not only are there lefties in the world, but in a fight your right hand or arm could be injured or completely incapacitated. Being able to drop a mag "weak handed" without readjusting your grip on the gun would strike me as being a very good thing.

It's no wonder that many other manufacturers have offered the ambi release for years now.

The .45GAP flopped because it was an answer to a question that no one had really asked.

This is an example of why you should really take Yeager up on his offer for a free training class. Ambidextrous magazine releases are bad ideas because they can be inadvertantly pressed under stress and result in magazines falling out completely or becoming unseated during a fight resulting in malfunctions and/or empty guns.

I will tell you right now that I will not buy a 4th Gen Glock if an ambi mag release is added. I have plenty of 1st and 3rd Gen Glocks and magazines to keep me happy. So its not bad for me afterall...

• Administrator
Ambidextrous magazine releases are bad ideas because they can be inadvertantly pressed under stress and result in magazines falling out completely or becoming unseated during a fight resulting in malfunctions and/or empty guns.

Following that logic, any left-handed shooter is just fundamentally screwed from the outset if they use a handgun designed for a right-handed person (i.e. mag release on the left side of the frame).

The best prevention for dicking up any procedure under stress is practice, practice, practice.

Recessed or lever mag releases, such as those found on XDs, Walther, H&K, etc; effectively solve this problem...

I can certainly see how the protruding mag release button on a Glock could be easily tripped un-intentionally, as you describe, regardless of which side of the grip it is on. So, unless Glock has done something new to improve the configuration of its mag release buttons to protect them from un-intentional activation, this has convinced me of one more reason to avoid Glocks... Since they are effectively doubling the chances of this happening with their 4th gen models.

Guest GlocKingTN

This may be a little off subject or not, but I sorta like the mag release on my S&W .22LR. It is located in front of the grip and just under the trigger guard. So not many chances of hitting it accidently I dont think! Once again, my .02!

Guest Archimedes

Being an ambidextrous shooter myself, I’d have to say that there’s not any greater chance of a mag being inadvertently released from a Glock simply from using the left hand.

Also, I find it quite easy to release the mag left-handed using my middle finger, though it is tougher on compacts and sub-compacts if you have big hands.

~Archi

• 3 months later...

After handling several of these G21SF guns a few times... I must say that I have warmed up to them more than I would have expected. It's not drastically smaller than a regular 21, but enough to be comfortable (for a Glock)... Surprisingly, even more-so than the G17/22/31/37 frame...

Perhaps I will someday own a G21SF and a G36...

(See! I'm not closed-minded!) ;)

I just discovered this topic. I'll try to be nice. :up:

Another reason to not take training.............well, never mind. ;)

The ambidextrous mag release is one of the features I really like on my H&Ks. Not just that it's ambi as much as it being located where it is - in line with the bottom of the trigger guard. I am very right-handed. Yes I can shoot with my weak hand if I have to thanks to forcing myself to practice that way. And I'm really good at drinking beverages with my left hand, again thanks to many years of practice.... But I'm basically right-handed.

I habitually use my right middle finger to drop the magazine on my H&Ks. Trigger finger stays in position and I still keep a grip on the handgun with the other fingers. The magazine drops easily into my waiting left hand and the filled magazine in that same hand grip gets slapped into the handgun. Release the slide. Ready to go. Easy and fast. The release is always where it can be easily found without having to either feel or look for it to depress a little button. You can concentrate on the replacement magazine - retrieving, orientation, placement and proper insertion. On the P7M8 you don't even have to think about releasing the slide. The cocking action automatically does that too.

I've never hit the release by accident and I think I can say that I've been under a lot of stress in my years.

I'll reserve judgment on the new Glock until I have a chance to play with one. Maybe they have fixed the unsafe design items that I object to? From what I'm reading, about all they did was slice a little off the backstrap while keeping the fat grip. That correct molonlabetn?

My guess is that Glockies will swear it's the best thing since peanut butter. They would swear by $600 turds if they came with a Glock nameplate. :D

I've handled the G21SF. It's the same width as the old G21, just a bit skinnier front to back. The grip's still too big for my hand. That's the reason I won't get a Glock 36 either, the distance is too great frontstrap to backstrap. Which is probably why I can't find a .45ACP that I'm comfortable enough with to carry every day. My hands are too small for them, and the Glock just feels funny.

Guest salb3039
My guess is that Glockies will swear it's the best thing since peanut butter. They would swear by $600 turds if they came with a Glock nameplate. ;)

Best quote....ever. Very sig worthy

I'll reserve judgment on the new Glock until I have a chance to play with one. Maybe they have fixed the unsafe design items that I object to? From what I'm reading, about all they did was slice a little off the backstrap while keeping the fat grip. That correct molonlabetn?

My guess is that Glockies will swear it's the best thing since peanut butter. They would swear by $600 turds if they came with a Glock nameplate. ;)

The grip does feel different... still characteristically blocky, but at least slightly more rounded, and the back-strap is not as obtrusive... yes. The trigger feels heavier than most stock Glocks that I have felt, it could have been because the SFs that I tried were new... but I would estimate the pull-weight around 7-8lb, instead of the normal 5 or 6... it was crunchy, but that's fixable.

Aside from the G36, I must say that it has the most comfortable grip I've held... on a Glock. Acceptable, at least. Enough to make it serious competition for the XD-45? Maybe...