Springfield Operator Series

Guest Moody

Guest Moody

Hey folks - just a quick question:

I'm a big fan of 1911's, and I was thinking about picking up a Springfield Operator for just the purpose of having a *nice* gun that shoots well, from what I've read.

What are you all's experiences with these? Reliable? Shoot well? Balanced? This is a big decision for me, and I'm really doing alot of research. The only problem is that I've been unable to get anyone to let me shoot one - no one seems to have them in stock, and they're order-only. If someone did, though, I really wouldn't expect them to let me take it to their range, due to it being kind of a pricey weapon, and them wanting to sell it as a new gun.

Any help would be great. Oh, this is not for carrying, by the way.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Angelo (Hornet Handler here) had a Springfield mil-spec 1911 and seemed to really like it. From what I have seen of Springfield's non-XD handguns, I don't really think you can go wrong if that's a gun that appeals to you feature and price-wise.

There were two Springfield Operators in stock at Guns and Leather this past Friday. they won't let you shoot 'em..but they feel good in hand, the rail isn't supposed to mess up the holster selection. They also point up ver naturally for me, but most 1911s do.

Guest Ghostrider

I have two Springfields, a 45 XD compact and a mil-spec 911 "very" much like the one Angelo used to have. ;)

Both are extremely accurate and reliable. I'm a crappy shot, but they are great weapons anyway... :)

I don't think you can go wrong with a Springfield.

Guest Moody

Thanks for the input guys - I'll be picking one of these up shortly. Compared to my Colt 1911, they are balanced better and seem to be of high-quality.

I have a Wilson Combat railed gun and Springfield Operator (full length rail) in my personal collection.

The rail WILL effect your holster selection, but rest assured there are plenty of high quality holster options for you.

Are you looking at the MC Operator (green one) or the TRP?

The MC Op is just a standard loaded Springer with the addition of a rail.

Nothing more.

If the rail isnt a must, you should also expand your search to other loaded type guns from Springfield, but dont forget to look at Dan Wesson and SigArms since they offer guns that are every bit the quality (IMHO better) at a lower price, and are easier to find in stock.

/.02

Guest hacksaw61

I have a 1911 full size loaded, handles well and is pretty accurate. I would recommend Springfield to anyone. Customer service is top notch also.

Guest snakeater

if you are going to spend the money on a springfield operator why not put about 300 more dollars with it and get a Les Baer?? Used baers can be had on gunbroker for the same price as a new SA operator and you will be much happier with the gun. I recently purchased a LB thunder ranch special on there for 1100 shipped. These guns don't really start shooting until they have about 400-500 rounds through them and the one that I purchased used had hardly been shot. these guns feel the same look the same but the difference is in the shooting. All my baers (last count was 11) will shoot 3/4 inch groups at 25 yrds most anytime you get ready. the worst one I have will still shoot a 1.5" group at 25. Theres alot to be said for that.......snakeater

Guest Fred LE FI

I had a Springfield TRP for about a year. It was excellent. I used it as part of a trade for a pricey long distance accuracy rifle. I miss it and will likely replace it with something VERY similar.

Thanks to everyone that responded! I'm still going to be picking up an operator, but some other things of financial importance got in the way. I'm looking in the next month to be able to nab one.

Joe @ Hero Gear - I'm up for looking at the MC or the LTW - I'm very interested in speaking with you about these two guns.