HB0962 - Restaurant Carry

Guest pws_smokeyjones

HexHead - you and I are on the same track for sure. I guess we will know a little more in about a half hour.

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead

Did I miss something? The House session went seems to have gone straight from the Consent Calender to the Regular Calender. What happened to the Message Calender and HB 0962?

Guest pws_smokeyjones

No idea Hexhead, and this looks to be the makings of a long session for the regular calendar. I watched from the beginning and unless I got lost in the parliamentary procedures, I don't think they have discussed the message calendar yet.

Guest JavaGuy
Did I miss something? The House session went seems to have gone straight from the Consent Calender to the Regular Calender. What happened to the Message Calender and HB 0962?

As a general rule, it's consent, regular and then messages & unfinished business. Don't forget.. that process usually doesn't start until they get finished honoring folks from their home counties, recognizing the visitors in the gallery, wishing each other happy birthday, etc.

Make haste slowly.. they'll eventually get there. Eventually...

Hmm.. progress report - the House is on item 3 of a 27 bill regular calendar. The handgun bill is item 3 of a 3 bill message calendar.

As a general rule, it's consent, regular and then messages & unfinished business. Don't forget.. that process usually doesn't start until they get finished honoring folks from their home counties, recognizing the visitors in the gallery, wishing each other happy birthday, etc.

Hmm.. progress report - the House is on item 3 of a 27 bill regular calendar. The handgun bill is item 3 of a 3 bill message calendar.

Yep, "Personal Orders"

If nothing else and for good or bad, we are learning a lot more about the legislative process...lol

They are about half-way through the Regular Calendar in the Senate

Guest JavaGuy
Yep, "Personal Orders" = "Get me re-elected."

If nothing else and for good or bad, we are learning a lot more about the legislative process...lol

The other day, HB962 was the first thing on the House's agenda. That happened because Rep. Todd had requested that it be the first item on the calendar. The bill was on its own message calendar, and they called that one up out of order (out of the usual order) in order to accomodate Rep. Todd's request.

Like I said, it's usually going to be consent calendars first, regular calendars second and message calendars third. That's the usual order of things.

Guest JavaGuy
I'm not seeing it on the Senate calendars. Where is it?

It won't go to the Senate until after the House deals with it.

Guest HexHead

Ugh, it's gonna be a long day.

:up:

Guest JavaGuy
So that would be Monday?

No, it could be today... it depends on the timing. If the Senate completes their business and decides to call it a day, then yes, you're talking Monday. If the Senate is still going when the House finishes working on the bill, then they might rush it on over from the House to the Senate.

So that would be Monday?
No, it could be today... it depends on the timing. If the Senate completes their business and decides to call it a day, then yes, you're talking Monday. If the Senate is still going when the House finishes working on the bill, then they might rush it on over from the House to the Senate.

But don't let it bother you if the Senate doesn't get to it till Monday. We need the House to pass it and it doesn't take effect till 6/1. This is the bill the Senate passed already with enough votes to avoid veto. The House is what is holding this up.

Did Sen Jackson say in the Conference committee the other day the Senate has a "24 hour rule" So even if the House voted on it today and brought it over to the Senate it would have to be at least 24 hours before it could be brought up for action in the Senate?

Guest JavaGuy
Did Sen Jackson say in the Conference committee the other day the Senate has a "24 hour rule" So even if the House voted on it today and brought it over to the Senate it would have to be at least 24 hours before it could be brought up for action in the Senate?

Good question. And the short answer is that I don't know off-hand. I'll check and see what I can find out.

I'm pretty sure the 24 hour period was only for the conference report going from the committee to the floor... Most likely they're waiting on the House to vote, so they can keep their options open.

For example if the House defeats the conference report, the Senate would have time to vote on the House version so something gets passed.

Guest JavaGuy

Here's the relevant section from the Senate rules..

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/senate/docs/106TempRules.pdf

===

CONFERENCE COMMITTEE REPORTS. When a Conference Committee Report

is submitted to the Clerk of the Senate, notice shall be given by the Clerk at least twenty four

(24) hours before its consideration by the Senate and a copy of the report shall be

placed on the desk of each member of the Senate. On the last two (2) days of the

annual session, this rule shall be waived.

A majority conference committee report must be affirmatively signed by the majority of

the members appointed to the committee by the Senate and a majority of the members

appointed to the committee by the House of Representatives. A majority conference

committee report is privileged and may be taken up at any time except when a vote is

being taken.

A minority conference committee report must be affirmatively signed by at least one

member appointed to the committee by the Senate and one member appointed to the

committee by the House of Representatives. A motion to substitute a minority

conference committee report for a majority conference committee report may be made at

any time after the motion to adopt the majority conference committee report has been

made but prior to the vote on the motion to adopt the majority conference committee

report.

A majority report or minority report is objectionable in form if the majority report or

minority report does not comply with the provisions of this Rule and Rule 79. Objection

to form of a majority report must be made prior to the vote on the motion to adopt the

majority report. Objection to form of a minority report must be made prior to the vote on

the motion to substitute the minority report for the majority report.

===

It looks like the real question is whether notice has been given in the Senate on this. I don't know.. and I'm not going to attempt going through the video archives to find out.

Guest HexHead
A minority conference committee report must be affirmatively signed by at least one

member appointed to the committee by the Senate and one member appointed to the

committee by the House of Representatives.

Since the bill passed the Senate members of the committee unanimously, I wonder which Senate member signed the minority report? Might it not get tossed out if not properly signed?

Since the bill passed the Senate members of the committee unanimously, I wonder which Senate member signed the minority report? Might it not get tossed out if not properly signed?

There wasn't a minority report for the Senate since all 5 conferees agreed on the one report that went back to the Senate.

As best I can figure....the committee members from each chamber issue their own report...one for the House and one for the Senate. If not all the members from a chamber agree on the Majority report, they can issue their own Minority Report. Senate rules require at least one House Conferee also sign the Senate Minority Report. The House rules do not require a Senate Conferee to sign a House Minority report...that is why Armstrong can submit one on his own.