HB0962 - Restaurant Carry

Don't forget the taxes restaurants pay for liquor. In Florida, a normal 750ml bottle of whiskey costs a restaurant close to $100 as they have to pay tax on the liquor up front (per oz).

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well even though falcon1 was talking about prices in VA nearly 20 years ago and crimsonaudio is talking about taxes in FL....I'd still be willing to bet restaurants in TN currently make a decent profit on alcohol sales here.

Well even though falcon1 was talking about prices in VA nearly 20 years ago and crimsonaudio is talking about taxes in FL....I'd still be willing to bet restaurants in TN currently make a decent profit on alcohol sales here.

Absolutely - without question!

Plus, alcohol sales typically lead to higher sales above and beyond the alcohol.

Well they sure don't sell it to loose money. I lived in Cookeville before liquor by the drink and we had only a few local restaurants. Pass the liquor by the drink ordnance and bam.......restaurant row. Of course back in the 70's we used to call Putnam county the wettest dry county in Tennessee........thanks Lawrence.

a normal 750ml bottle of whiskey costs a restaurant close to $100 as they have to pay tax on the liquor up front (per oz).

I am not saying this is wrong, but I have big doubts. I lived in Boca Raton for seven years. Went to restaurants and bars weekly. Never paid drink costs that a $100 bottle of liquor would bring. Normal prices IIRC is bottle beer about 1.50 or 2.00, mixed drinks 2.50 to 5.00 depending on where a person was imbibing.

And AFAIK in TN, there is no special tax on wine or spirits for restaurants. They pay the same price (basically) as retail stores do for product from wholesalers. There may be some variance based on discounts offered. Some wine is specially packaged for restaurants and therefore they get a better price, but there is no add on for liquor to places for on premise consumption.

I wonder if this all passes and becomes legal, and there is no blood in the bars will all the naysayers come back and write news articles and editiorials stating how wrong they were in their assumptions?

Of couse I am fairly sure I know the answer to this question.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
Seems this thread is drifting.

You win the understatement of the year award. :P

Has anybody received any feedback from Senators regarding HB0962 in the Senate tomorrow? From what I can tell it is completely in limbo until we see what happens in session. I guess that makes sense, nothing much can be done right now.

Guest JavaGuy

HB962 is on Thursday's message calendar in the Senate. First item, I believe...

For those who wonder when it will be brought up, the usual order is:

personal orders (recognizing friends and constituents in the gallery, honoring people for this or that),

consent calendars,

regular calendars,

message calendars,

unfinished business (from previous sessions).

The session will start around 9 am on Thursday.

My understanding is that the bill's summary has been updated now to reflect the House's adoption of the conference committee report.

Falcon, am I getting that right?

Pay 7.60, get something like 60-75 back?

Yes, that is correct.

Seems this thread is drifting. I clicked to see what I had missed in the last 24 hrs and I though that I had clicked the wrong thread.

True. Sorry. It is tangentially related, since someone had asked the question as to whether it was thought likely that, in light of the bill, more restaurants would start posting. The "profit-margin-on-liquor" point came in to support that most thought it unlikely restaurants would do so in this economy.

People would probably really think twice about drinking and driving if the penalty for a first time DUI was as severe as a first time getting caught drinking and carrying.

It is.

They are both Class A misdemeanors.

- OS

Guest SomeGuy

Perhaps it ha something to do with being motived folks who value our right to self-defense and who have been forced to take a class, pay fees, undergo background checks, and every step of the way being reminded how easy this former right now privilege that we very much want to keep so we can defend ourselves legally is to revoke.

Guest MediaBuster
Perhaps it ha something to do with being motived folks who value our right to self-defense and who have been forced to take a class, pay fees, undergo background checks, and every step of the way being reminded how easy this former right now privilege that we very much want to keep so we can defend ourselves legally is to revoke.

Someguy, this is not true. It was always a privilege. Know why? I'll tell ya why!

Back in the days you're talking about, if you got stupid with your gun, they'd just cap your ass & bring you to your family in a pine box! Privilege revoked!

• Administrator
The restaurant paid $7.60 for 750ml or paying barely over $0.01/ml

The they would sell 50ml shots at $5.00 each or selling it at $0.10/ml

If you didn't spill any....you would get 15 50ml shots from a 750ml bottle. At $5.00 a shot that is $75.00 for a bottle they only paid $7.60 for.

Using his figures......

If the SAT included situational problems like this, I wager that a lot of math scores would be higher. :woohoo:

Guest SomeGuy
Someguy, this is not true. It was always a privilege. Know why? I'll tell ya why!

Back in the days you're talking about, if you got stupid with your gun, they'd just cap your ass & bring you to your family in a pine box! Privilege revoked!

Individual self-defense is not the same as government restrictions. Equating the two does not reflect well on the quality of your ability to put forward cogent arguments.

On other news, we are one step closer as others saw. It is great to come home from work to this.

Is there a time limit on his veto? The reason I asked is if he vetos it, and they have revote to override his veto. What if he waits till May 31?

It will become law without his signature 10 days after it gets to his desk (not sure if that 10 days starts today and/or if it includes weekends) but I would guess he could wait till day 9 to veto it.

Just got this in from the TFA:

We have been advised by several sources and have confirmed that the Governor's office is keepinh a "for/against" tally on the gun bill HB0962. It is important to call and to have everyone you know call. We need to send Bredesen a clear message that there are a siginficant number of voters who want to see this bill not just passed into law but SIGNED into law by him!

There are many more gun bills to come down the path and it is important for him to hear from the voters and gun owners of Tennessee because if there are other bills that are closer, we need the extra push.

The Governor can be reached by phone at (615)741-2001 or email Phil.Bredesen@tn.gov.

FIREMISSION as they say over at AR15.com

Guest JavaGuy
It will become law without his signature 10 days after it gets to his desk (not sure if that 10 days starts today and/or if it includes weekends) but I would guess he could wait till day 9 to veto it.

Procedurally speaking, any bill goes through many steps within the legislature before going to the governor. Grin..

The bill will be edited to merge the adopted language into the bill. Both speakers will sign the bill. It will then go to the governor's office.

Tennessee General Assembly Legislation

Note the action stating that the bill has been enrolled and is ready for the signature of the House speaker. Enrolling is the process of pulling the language of the amendments (if any) and the original text of the bill into a final form. I'd say both speakers will sign in relatively short order.

The governor's ten day signing period (which does not include Sundays as I recall) starts when it hits his desk.