HB0962 - Restaurant Carry

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead

To recap, it passed without restrictions. The House part of the committee passed it 3-2, Senate side was unanimous. Rep. Armstrong is trying to push for a minority report be made to the House to show there wasn't overwhelming support in the committee for the House to accept the clean bill, hoping the "Senate version" will get rejected again, for the 3rd time.

In essence, he's trying to kill the bill.

Guest db99wj
I think the vote was 3-2 on the House side and unless I'm mistaken it was unanimous on the Senate side for passage of the Senate version with no restrictions on carry.

That's what I am thinking, and yes couldn't hear a actual tally of votes for the senate.

As for what actually takes place, I don't know, anyone?

So what happens next?

The conference committee report will go back to the floor of each chamber as the version the committee recommends to pass.

Then they will vote on it.

It did seem like legal said, there could be a motion to substitute the minority report for the majority report. Hopefully that would fail....the only thing I'd be worried about is some of the Reps knowing what they were voting for exactly if that happened.

With any luck the House will vote on it this afternoon, the Senate (where it has passed, twice basically) will vote on it Thursday.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
The motion was to accept the Senate Version.

For the House conferees, Yes....couldn't hear the Senate Vote for sure.

The two House conferees voting no were Armstrong and McCord.

It seems they want to issue a minority report as well.

Also my most humble apologies to Rep Todd....he said he was always for a clean bill. He had just simply agreed to carry the bill that came from the summer study committee, and that bill came with the restrictions.

Right. Todd was for a clean bill all along but was trying to get this through however he could. It appears that his method was correct - in my opinion.

and Yes, Armstrong is a goofball. his arguments against the curfew were beyond lame, they didn't even make sense. My 5yr old could have put up a stronger argument than that.

Senator Jackson and Representative Todd deserve a quick email saying thanks. I think they have handled this fairly well up to this point.

Guest bkelm18

Ok so essentially if it passes the House vote tonight we're pretty much golden as long as the governor doesn't veto.

The full House is scheduled to meet at 4:00 p.m.(Nashville time) Todd talked like he would like to have it voted on tonight if he can. I think its safe to say that if it passes tonight or Thursday in the House, the only thing that could stop it would be a veto by the Gov. and that would probably only be temporary.

I hope that's right!?!?

Guest HexHead

Assuming everything goes according to plan and it goes to the Governor's desk, and he doesn't veto it, when will this take effect? It appeared one of the differences that the House accepted in committee today was the implementation date. Is that going to be June 1 or July 1?

Not getting too far ahead of things...but, looking back at the House votes on this bill, the original bill, motion to nonconcur, suspend the rules, refuse to recede...and who voted on each side of those motions.....

Well.....anyway...it's just amazing what it has taken to even get to this point.

Also...it is hard to believe that what seems like such a basic issue could cause some of the most underhanded type politics to come out......

If I understood correctly if this now passes both on a floor vote it will go into effect on June 1st?

I believe that is correct. The senate version had a go in effect date of June 1 and the House majority report was to accept that version.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
Not getting too far ahead of things...but, looking back at the House votes on this bill, the original bill, motion to nonconcur, suspend the rules, refuse to recede...and who voted on each side of those motions.....

Well.....anyway...it's just amazing what it has taken to even get to this point.

Also...it is hard to believe that what seems like such a basic issue could cause some of the most underhanded type politics to come out......

No doubt. I know it is technically 'their job' but you have to be appreciative of what the sponsors have dealt with through this lengthy process. I know I certainly am. There have been a couple of times that I wanted to hear somebody tell Hardaway and Armstrong to just stuff it.

Guest HexHead

Have they heard the conference committee report in the House yet? I missed the first 40 minutes or so, and it's not on the calender.

Have they heard the conference committee report in the House yet? I missed the first 40 minutes or so, and it's not on the calender.

Not sure....

I sort of figure it might be the last thing since it would have been added so late.

They are on item 5 of 25 of the regular calendar now....

Guest bkelm18

You know, watching the video of the house in action, some of these people you would think are mentally deficient with some of the questions they ask.

You know, watching the video of the house in action, some of these people you would think are mentally deficient with some of the questions they ask.

+1000

As much as I don't like Nafieh....I had to really agree when he said the one member either wasn't listening or couldn't understand about the one bill.