HB0962 - Restaurant Carry

My email to Rep. Hackworth

Good afternoon Rep. Hackworth,

My name is K*** **** and I am a citizen of Oak Ridge. I am writing to request your support for HB0962. I know that you voted for the bill when it came up before and I am asking you to vote for the version which was passed in Conference Committee. You have been a friend to lawful gun-owners in the past and I hope that you will continue to.

Thank you,

K**** ******

**** *** Lane

Oak Ridge,TN

Reponse, didn't take long either.

Monday, May 4, 2009 4:47 PM

"Jim Hackworth" <rep.jim.hackworth@capitol.tn.gov>

View contact details

To:

"K*** *****"

I plan to. Thanks for asking.

Jim

:rolleyes:

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
+1000

As much as I don't like Nafieh....I had to really agree when he said the one member either wasn't listening or couldn't understand about the one bill.

Yeah I had to give kudos to Naifeh on that. That guy was completely missing the point of the bill and obviously had no clue what being a "dry" county really means.

Fallguy (and others), thank for all the updates for those of us who haven't been able to watch it roll out today!

*fingers crossed*

No problem...

Not like I have much of a life...LOL :rolleyes: Might as well help those that to do.

HB0962 wasn't on the Regular or Message calendar....starting to think it won't be till Thursday for it in the house either.

Guest HexHead
Thursdays message calendar. :P

Damn, gives Naifeh two more days to work the room. These bastards can sure drag this stuff out. I thought Todd was going to do it tonight?

Damn, gives Naifeh two more days to work the room. These bastards can sure drag this stuff out. I thought Todd was going to do it tonight?

He was.....apparently for whatever reason, he wasn't able to.

This just happened in Memphis. Maybe this will reinforce the need.

Shootout at popular Memphis restaurant - WMC-TV: News, Weather, Traffic, Radar, and Sports for Memphis, TN; WMCTV.com |

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - Memphis police are investigating a shootout at one of the city's most popular restaurants.

Pete and Sam's Italian Restaurant has been a fixture in Memphis for more than 60 years. For Sam Bomarito the attempted robbery at his restaurant this past weekend was a painful reminder of a similar crime where Bomarito was shot.

"Seven or eight years ago," he said. "A lot of people remember it."

And Bomarito's staff got another rude awakening Saturday night. This time, at least four to five men tried to rob the business while the restaurant was preparing to close.

"A robbery to me is kinda stupid," Bomarito said.

According to police, an employee at the restaurant had just taken out the trash when the suspects, who were armed with guns and ski-masks, forced their way into the restaurant through a back door. That's when gunfire erupted.

A police report says another employee inside the restaurant pulled out his own personal handgun and fired two shots at two of the suspects in the kitchen.

It's not clear how many shots the suspects may have fired before they took off.

While none of his employees were hurt, Bomarito says safety at the restaurant will continue to be a top priority.

"We're going to be more cautious in the future as to who comes in the back door now, and we have a security door now and it won't be kept open," he said.

Police believe the suspects got away in a gold car, possibly a Nissan. Anyone with information on this attempted robbery is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 901-528-CASH.

Guest bhoneycutt

I got a email back from my rep Joshua Evans. It looks like he supports the senate version. I'm hoping the committee has some kind of influence to change the rest of the houses mind...

I hope you're doing well and I appreciate you taking the time to e-mail me on this important issue. As you know, I am a co-sponsor of HB962 and support it fully. The conference committee issued their report today which mimicked the Senate version and did not have the House restrictions. This is the version I support. The committee report, which will be the final vote on the bill, will take place in the House and the Senate on Thursday of this week.

Also, you may be interested to know that HB952, of which I am also a co-sponsor, which closes the handgun carry permit database, makes it private, and prevents it from being published on the web, passed out of the House tonight and will go to the Senate in the next week.

Please let me know if I can serve you in any other way. **

Guest SUNTZU
Probably screamed bad things in Italian while he shot lol Just glad no one was hurt.

Eh Cumpari BANG!

ci vo sunari BANG!

Chi si sona? BANG!

U friscalettu BANG!

:koolaid::lol::tough:

That would be funny as hell to sing to a census taker when they come to your door, just to see the WTF?! reaction.

Edited by SUNTZU
Guest bhoneycutt
honeycutt,

You have a good Rep., as Evans is a TFA member, and posts over at our forum some.

Yes I do:) I am blessed to have a Rep that shares most of the same beliefs as I do.

Guest djack41

The challenge will come from a minority report which will be filed on the floor by Rep Armstrong of Knoxville. BTW A big campaign supporter of Armstrong has been restauranteer Mike Chase. Chase is an venomous critic of the bill.

On the floor, Rep Todd will move adoption of the majority report. Armstrong will then move to substitute his minority report. Todd will then move Armstrong's motion to the table. The motion to table will be the test vote.

Rep McCord voted against the majority report but stated he would not file his own minority report. While he promised to ultimately vote for the majority report on the floor, McCord did not say he would vote against the minority report and is expected to vote for the minority report if it contains the restrictions.

With that said, the commited votes in the house for the majority report is strong. Expect alot of rankor since it will iake a 2/3 vote to cut off the debate.

There will not be a minority report filed in the senate. Unlike the house, the senate rules require a minority report be signed by a senator and a representative conferee. Every senator on the conference committee voted for the majority report.

Guest db99wj
The challenge will come from a minority report which will be filed on the floor by Rep Armstrong of Knoxville. BTW A big campaign supporter of Armstrong has been restauranteer Mike Chase. Chase is an venomous critic of the bill.

On the floor, Rep Todd will move adoption of the majority report. Armstrong will then move to substitute his minority report. Todd will then move Armstrong's motion to the table. The motion to table will be the test vote.

Rep McCord voted against the majority report but stated he would not file his own minority report. While he promised to ultimately vote for the majority report on the floor, McCord did not say he would vote against the minority report and is expected to vote for the minority report if it contains the restrictions.

With that said, the commited votes in the house for the majority report is strong. Expect alot of rankor since it will iake a 2/3 vote to cut off the debate.

There will not be a minority report filed in the senate. Unlike the house, the senate rules require a minority report be signed by a senator and a representative conferee. Every senator on the conference committee voted for the majority report.

:screwy: How and the hell do things get done..they are like my children trying to get something done, "That's not mine, don't touch that its mine, well I didn't get that out, why do I have to clean it up, but dad, he she, they did it first, I didn't do it.":wall:

I sent an email to Todd, thanking him for his work.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I wonder if all of this will take place in Thursdays sessions? From what I heard in the conf committee that would appear to be so. Looks like we 'could' know by Friday if this bill will finally make it to the Governors desk eh?

Guest pws_smokeyjones

"I sent an email to Todd, thanking him for his work."

db99wj - Todd has indeed put in considerable effort on this bill, but lets not forget the other legislators that have also fought the good fight on this, like Senator Jackson.