What brand of ammunition do you use in your carry weapon?

• Administrator

In the past I've tried Federal Hydra-Shok (9mm and 40SW) and Cor-Bon (40SW) , but since I started carrying a 45acp sidearm I've switched to Speer Gold Dot in 195gr. What are the rest of you using and do you have any particular reason why you use it?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double-Tap in all carry-guns:

.357sig: 147gr Gold-Dot @ 1250fps - 510ft-lb, from 4" barrel

.45gap: 185gr Gold-Dot @ 1150fps - 543ft-lb, from a 4.5" barrel

.45acp: 230gr Gold-Dot @ 1010fps - 521ft-lb, from a 5" barrel

http://www.doubletapammo.com

They are loaded to higher velocity than most, within SAAMI pressures, using the best (IMHO) bonded-JHP bullet available (Speer Gold-Dot). Fairly in-expensive too, compared to some of the big-brand makers who price for high profit-margins. (free shipping on 1000+rd, too)

Federal 165 Grain Hydra-shok JHP Personal Defense ammo.

Price basically. I figure if I ever have to use it, the most important thing is hitting center mass, if I can do that, it doesn't matter if a have the most expensive or reloads, as long as there is a boom and my XD spits, I'm good.:up:

Guest Loaded247

Calibers and brands I carry:

.45 ACP - 230gr. Federal Hydra-shok

.40 S&W - 165gr. Federal Hydra-shok

9mm - 124gr. Speer Gold Dot +P (Short Barrel)

.38 Spl. - 125gr. Hornady XTPJHP

38/135gr.---357/135gr.---9mm/124gr.---45AUTO./230gr. All these in SPEER GoldDot Shortbarrel Hollow Point.

22LR/MINI MAG.

12GAUGE/2&3/4in. 00 Buckshot Low Recoil(WINCHESTER RANGER Law Enforcement Ammo.

410GAUGE/3in. 000 Buckshot

Guest GlocKingTN
Winchester Personal Defense in my XD-45.

Federal Hydrashoks in my XD-9.

Is the Winchester Personal Protection any good? I seen it at Wally world for like $18.87 for 50rds. Is it worth the money?

+1 for Winchester JHP's. i use 147gr in 9mm and 230gr in 45acp. i like to use what i can afford to practice with. the Winchester HP's seem to perform the best of the cheap stuff, according to the tests iv seen and done.

Guest GlocKingTN
+1 for Winchester JHP's. i use 147gr in 9mm and 230gr in 45acp. i like to use what i can afford to practice with. the Winchester HP's seem to perform the best of the cheap stuff, according to the tests iv seen and done.

Thanks for the info. But is there any cheaper for just target practice? Now I use theReloads in the orange box. But I heard they would void a Glock Factory Warranty (if they found out)! Is that true?

for cheap plinking i use what ever FMJ is cheap at the time(CCI, winchester, remington). for defence practice i like to use the same weight that im going to carry for defence, because the point of impact will be differant for differant weight rounds.