Slushee Question for August: Manual Safety or No?

dcloudy777

Hello fellow TGO'ers... with the coming of a new month, comes the coming of a new Slushee Question, and this one is simple. On a defensive sidearm, do you want a manually activated external safety or not? No espousing or bashing the merits or detriments of particular gun models, just open discussion about which system makes the most sense to YOU on a defensive semiauto. Of course for Rabbi, I guess the question should be if you carry yours with the flint IN the lock, or just have it in your pocket. :cool:

Enjoy, and lets all get smarter!! And before it gets said, yes I know of course the thing to do is just pick (or be issued) a system and train, but that's not what we're talking about here.

DanO

... who is trying to figure out where my H&K P7 fits into this...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matchlocks don't come in semi-auto. Would make reloading a darn sight easier I can tell you.

Personally I dont like manual safeties (and of course my Smith Model 19 doesnt have one) as being just one more thing to go wrong. I am personally acquainted with a case where the homeowner attempted to fire his S&W semi and the gun wouldnt fire. He racked the slide and tried again but again failed. Eventually he retreated and discovered the safety was on.

In that case it was good because the intruder in fact was a disoriented psychotic woman who would not have posed a threat. Not that he would have known that at the time.

For a sidearm to be used for home defense (ie "the nightstand gun"), no manual external safety for me. I use the loved/despised Glock for this purpose and it serves me well.

My other "house gun" is a S&W 686 revolver, so obviously no safety there either, other than a heck of a trigger pull in DA.

For daily carry in a holster, I'd be more open to an external manual safety, although I use my Glock 19 and a S&W J-frame for that purpose now -neither of which has an external manual safety.

I prefer Semi-Autos which are designed to be safely carried without an active, manual safety being engaged... Even the Beretta 92F can be carried this way, even though it does have a safety. But, on the other hand, I also prefer a uniform trigger pull without transition between DA/SA, even though I have and do carry those types frequently. For this reason, I have come to appreciate my XD more and more... since it has a passive grip-safety which requires no other conscious effort to disengage than properly gripping the firearm. And, it's uniform trigger-pull is one of the best available in its class.

Single-action function with a designed manual safety, such as the 1911, is also an excellent system... the primary drawback is the required training/practice/familiarity with the specific weapon, in order to repeatably bring it into action quickly. If that proficiency is focused on, however, this type of system can be very effective (arguably, more-so than others).

I am leaning towards an H&K or Sig pistol, next, with the LEM or DAK trigger action.

Guest Old Chief

I prefer the 1911 for personal defence, home defence and just all around use. Cocked and locked is just fine for me. My thumb knows where to make the downward stroke. Training with a particular type is the key to successful use.

As of now, I prefer having a manual safety. I am slowly warming up to the no manual safety though.

The manual safety on my HK Compact is easy to disconnected as I draw, so I am content. But like "molonlabetn", I have been eyeing the HK2000 with the LEM myself. (Seems like a natural evolution.)

I think I just need more exposure to glocks and such. Just grew up around manual safeties.

Manual safety... that way I'll know how fast to run when my 2 y/o figures out my unlock code of my safe and gets to the gun. Well, at least he's not strong enough to rack the slide on my Baer. <g>

But serious, I'm new to the whole gun scene, and find comforting the manual safety option. I also prefer that of the 1911, as it has a visible and physical external method of operation, as opposed to a S/F switch I recall seeing on some Ruger semiauto's I've shot. Peace of mind, I guess, seeing as I've only spent about 4% of my life as a gun owner.

Oh... and also, were the "bad guy" to somehow get my firearm, and not know necessarily how to work a firearm properly beyond just the "point and shoot" interface shown in many an action flick, I could visibly acknowledge the threat level of said shooter (or non-shooter, if the case may be).

**BRENT**

I want a manual safety. Being trained one such an animal, I guess its alot like that quote int he bible..if you raise them up in this manner they will not depart from it.

Manual safety.

Oh... and also, were the "bad guy" to somehow get my firearm, and not know necessarily how to work a firearm properly beyond just the "point and shoot" interface shown in many an action flick, I could visibly acknowledge the threat level of said shooter (or non-shooter, if the case may be).

**BRENT**

actually, that happened!

a k9 officer responded to a call and attempted to subdue a young man that was a known felon. that man managed to grab the officers gun and try to shoot him, but the safety was on..he ended up hitting the k9 with it and causing it not to function. the officers BUG ended up putting the felon down.

I saw it on tv, it MUST be true!

:)

I have a 1911 that I use as my primary carry weapon. When I try to carry my XD9 I just can't get over the feeling that I'm skipping a step and I don't feel right when I holster it without a safety. My minds feels fine toward both methods of carry, but my hands have made up their mind. Manual safety for me.

Whatever you like is what you should have. But when the SHTF, sometimes you can forget to do something - like remove the safety.

I've evolved over the years into liking no manual safety. Even converted my USP to variant 3 - de-cocker but no manual safety. I want my handguns to always be capable of firing. But I also want handguns that are unlikely to fire just because I get a brain fart.

For the sake of argument; what would be the response to a long-arm without a safety? For example, what if Glock decided to finally get into the carbine, rifle, or shotgun market... who would be comfortable with such a design only incorporating the type of action which is found on their pistols? Would you keep a round chambered?

I don't use the safety on my HD shotgun (of course, I don't keep a shell chambered, either)... But if I ever had the need to carry around such a weapon, loaded, I would unquestionably desire a manual safety.

Thoughts?

A carbine with a Glock action at its heart would be an interesting firearm. I hope 'ol Gaston is listening...

Anyway, I have my hd shotgun configured as you do --safety off, but no round in the chamber, so agreement there.

I personally would NEVER, under any circumstances, carry a long gun with a round chambered, unless I was in battle and the you-know-what was hitting the fan right now. (FYI: I do not hunt.)

In all honestly, despite my affection for my Glock, I would be hesitant to own/operate a long gun without a manual safety. (Shotguns and rifles included.) Is this hypocritical? I don't think so. We are most comfortable (and safe) with the way we learned things, and this is how I learned. Also, rifles serve different roles than handguns, so there is some argument for them being equipped differently. I lean more towards safety than speed. (Yes, I honestly think the Glock action is safe.)

I hear, from a pretty reliable source, that Glock is seriously working on bringing out a sub-gun. That could be...interesting. More than just a rumor this time.

I won't carry any gun, rifle or handgun, without a round in the chamber. For a rifle, I may use the selector though.