Slushee Question for August: Manual Safety or No?

dcloudy777

How many times can you guys possibly turn a thread into a Glock bashing. Doesn't it get old? :censored: Why don't we just talk about something important like 9mm vs. .45? Open vs. Concealed? You know some things you don't usually talk about.:eek:

Isnt there something about an empty barrel?

Why dont we discuss why the 30-40 Krag is superior to the 5.56mm?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glock bashing. Doesn't it get old?

:censored: While I am not known for bashing Glocks I enjoy reading it when someone does. Makes for good drama.

Glock owners seem to have their buttons pushed pretty easy yanno!:eek:

Why would a 1911 not work after being frozen in a bucket of water and drug behind a car? Does it get to thaw first? I am assuming the barrel is not full of ice. Doubt any gun would fire in that condidtion.

Guest DonRickles
Hey Don, lighten up! :D

No one said anything bad about a Glock. I was just pointing out that what is OK for a Glock should also be OK for a 1911.

I was trying to be sarcastic. It is often hard to express meaning on a internet forum. Oh well.......it does get kinda redundant "listening" to you hockey pucks!:D

I started with a Hi-power cocked and locked (removed mag disconnect) and found that it was very easy and natural to deactivate the safety. However, I currently carry a 4" XD and a Kel-Tec PF9. I guess , given a choice, I would say no manual safety.

Or carrying a cocked single-action revolver, as long as it has a transfer-bar...

well..as long as the person carrying it has TRAINED themselves or been trained to carry it in a safe manner..then any one of those are ok.

Its my opinion that every type of pistol (except glocks..them thangs are dangerous!. Don't bludgeon me Don..I'm just kidding.:D) requires different training...sa/da's are different than SA's..so they require different training.

Accidents occur when someones' hubris lets them carry a pistol that they've not trained with..simply because they think "oh, its just a pistol..all the controls are in the regular places"..

it might be cosmetically the same, and the differences might be subtle..but they're big difference when muscle memory come into play.

Thats why I don't get upset when you guys argue about dao/sao, or different designs..you're cantankerous about them..the training you've had on the pistols you use daily will serve you well. the rest of the chin music is just noise :D

a really smart guy once told me...don't buy 100 guns and shoot them all...find ONE that you like..and shoot that one. allot.

that said...using a weapon with a manual safety is as natural to me as breathing.

Glock owners seem to have their buttons pushed pretty easy yanno!:D

That's because they know they should be embarrassed for buying one. :D [looking for bunker]

BTW, I got to take another look today at a Kel-Tec PF-9. I still haven't shot one, but the trigger feels really good. If I didn't already have the P7M8, I'd have to very seriously consider one. And it's about a thousand bucks less expensive!

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/pf9.html

This topic should have been done as a poll. So far I think only Tower likes manual safeties.:D

But the deal about learning your guns instead of just buying more collectibles is dead on. My gun collection is actually shrinking. But I'm getting better with the ones I still have. Some day I'll sit down and list the guns I used to own....

I heard it this way: "Beware the man w/ one gun, he probably knows how to use it."

yep..its true.

Take Mark@sea for instance. about the only pistol you'll see him shoot is a 1911 .45....but I've seen him draw it before I could blink, and put rounds on target just as quickly. He collects pistols and rifles...but he only seems to shoot those 1911's....

:D

Guest shadow12

At one point in my life I owned 5 1911's. It was the pistol that I was taught to shoot as a child. I have continued to shoot and carry daily one of these models. My dept however doesn't like them, something about looking scary to the public. For work I am issued a Glock. I train with my 1911, so that when I am off duty I am comfortable with it. But when I am at work, I still swipe the safety off, even though it isn't there. It doesn't slow me down, and causes no other problems, so I guess I fall into both catagories, love my 1911, but still carry others.

For what it's worth....... I think it's funny that Springfield stole two designs for the XD, Glocks trigger safety and the grip safety from Mr. Browning.

For what it's worth....... I think it's funny that Springfield stole two designs for the XD, Glocks trigger safety and the grip safety from Mr. Browning.

Springfield didn’t steal anything; they had nothing to do with the design of the XD. They are simply the importer. IM metal on the other hand....

The take down from Sig...... and i love that they weren't so stuck on themselves that they couldn't take the best of everything around and incorporate it in their own design. I love XD's.

Perhaps worth noting is that Beretta puts out a "G" series of pistols, like the 92G-SD that has a spring return on the de-cocker/safety that basically eliminates the safety. They were originally only sold to LE and military users.

If I was buying my 92 today, that is what I would get.