Glock vs Taurus

Guest GatorsRule1976

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about Glock but I picked up a new taurus in March. Shot it one time and had to send it in for repair. That was March 25th. I still haven't gotten it back. I called today and they are working on items recieved on March 21st. So maybe in the next two weeks I'll se it.

Why are they so behind? Gotta say something about their quality. I have several of their semi-auto's but I doubt I will ever buy another revolver from Taurus.

Edited by lowbud
Guest SUNTZU
I removed my mag extensions when I realized they were causing 'misfeeds.'

~archi

What mag extensions were you using? I've never had a problem with them on my G19.

Guest CK1
Comparing a Taurus to a Glock, is like comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes!:P

not quite, but almost...

i think if you do enough research you'll find that taurus guns aren't held in the same esteem as glocks, and for good reason.

you see, taurus guns are good DECENT guns at their LOWER price-point... some good, some bad, you could find a cherry, or a lemon.

glocks on the other hand are GREAT guns at ANY price-point... the chances of getting a lemon are next to nil.

you will often hear of people "upgrading" to a glock or other gun from a taurus, never have i heard of upgrading from a glock TO a taurus.

i actually think their all steel guns are great (92 clones, pt1911), but if you're looking at an everyday carry piece, most likely polymer, i'd personally save an extra $150 or so and get a glock...

Guest m4coyote

I had a 9mm Taurus 24/7, and still own a G19. I liked the features on the 24/7, and would still have it if it weren't for one thing - inaccuracy. My 24/7 was having a good day if it shot a 12" - 14" bench rested group at 20 yards. While hand holding, keeping all hits on an 8.5" X 11" sheet of paper at 10 - 15 yards was not a certainty. I sold the 24/7 after shooting a couple of boxes of CCI Blazer Brass & WWB from it, and determined that it was just not accurate enough to remain in the stable.

The G19 on the other hand was and still is one of the best personal protection pistols available. During hand held shooting, it will easily drill one ragged hole at 10 yards. I own many other pistols of differing brands, but for me, the G19 is the last word in a compact, concealable fighting pistol. It has the best properties of concealibility, capacity, lack of weight, accuracy, and shootability that I have found. I recently traded my first G19, but missed it so much, that a new one came home with me a couple of days ago.

Sorry, but I couldn't hold my tongue/keyboard. Glocks may be the supposed holy grail of polyguns, but no mfg. is perfect, and even Glock has a bad day. Exhibit A: my Glock 36.

The gun "likes" the first round to be fully seated in the back of the mag to prevent FTF, and "likes" to have the slide popped esp. hard to chamber the 1st round of a mag. Still, has had occ. FTF problems (1 per 50-100 rounds with WWB, Blazer and even 230 gr. Lawman by Speer. Yesterday at the range, though, my patience and trust was more than tested. I tried to put some Magtech 230 gr. FMC-SWC through it, and the gun w/n fire more than 4 shots in succession w/o a FTF. In other news, my Taurus PT1911 .45 ate the stuff like popcorn, and punched 2-3" groups at fifty feet w/it, even if shot one-handed (you're sure right about those all-metal Brazilian bull guns :eek:).

B/C I have small hands, I love single stacks like the G36 (It's pretty much the only .45 Glock that fits my hand), but this is my carry gun, and it's getting so I just don't trust it. I like the gun when it works, but if I have to remember to be more picky loading the mag, chambering the first round of a mag, and choosing ammo. than I do with any other pistol I have ever owned or even shot, I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it.

With smaller hands like mine, the glocksters like to talk about the dreaded problem of "limp wristing," but if that's the problem, why are my wrists strong enough to fire every other pistol I've ever owned or shot, including my other pistols chambered in .45, and a subcompact, mule-kicking .40 cal. G27, but not this one, single, solitary gun? Do you have to be an ex-NFL offensive lineman to shoot it? I'm going to try diff. mags, and if that doesn't solve the problem, it's goin' on the 'ol trading block.

Not trashing Glock as a company as a whole, but to imply ALL Glocks are reliable just ain't so.

Sorry; rant over. My apologies, all.

you see, taurus guns are good DECENT guns at their LOWER price-point... some good, some bad, you could find a cherry, or a lemon.

glocks on the other hand are GREAT guns at ANY price-point... the chances of getting a lemon are next to nil.

i actually think their all steel guns are great (92 clones, pt1911), but if you're looking at an everyday carry piece, most likely polymer, i'd personally save an extra $150 or so and get a glock...

Guest TargetShooter84

I own G19 and I LOVE it...it was the first gun I have ever purchased and I'm proud that I bought that as a first gun for target shooting.

I just recently bought a G26 for a sweet deal and that will be my CCW while G19 will be for camping carry, hiking, target shooting, etc.

Guest m4coyote

The G36 seems to garner more complaints on various forums than any pistol made by Glock. That is a shame, because the single stack frame & slimness are ideal for carry. I really considered purchasing one of these, but after reading quite a bit of negativity towards the 36, I decided against it.

The G39 does have a pretty good reputation, and the .45 GAP saves on pocket real estate, so I may give one of these a go sometime.

I've had the same thoughts in the past, but isn't GAP more expensive and harder to find?

The G39 does have a pretty good reputation, and the .45 GAP saves on pocket real estate, so I may give one of these a go sometime.
Guest m4coyote

Right now the .45 GAP seems to be easier to find than the ACP! I haven't ever noticed that much of an increase in price between the GAP and ACP. About a dollar or two at the most, is what I have seen. The small price premium may very well be worth it for the convenience of a smaller package. Most .45 ACP reloading dies will load both the GAP and ACP cartridges, and the components interchange.

Also, the GAP guns are widely noted to be extremely accurate, and many believe it to be the most accurate round in the Glock line up.

Guest Bill Lumberg

Actually, LE price with standard sights would be right at $400 plus tax.

Found a good price on a G30 yesterday...$500.00 too bad I'm not a LEO!!! That was leo pricing.:tough:
Guest 2HOW

A Glock and a Taurus are totaly different guns and actions. I dont see how there can be a comparison :) But I will say I gave up my G-22 after 17 years for the Pt 140 I carry now. single action trigger and a better grip and point.

Edited by 2HOW
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest FiddleDog

I'm a fan of the 3rd gen Millennium PTs as well. They just point well. I'd buy another one without hesitation. Taurus gets a lot of hate. It's a shame. Hearing all the negative comments do undermine my confidence in carrying mine even though I've put 2k+ rounds through mine without incident. I guess if you hear stuff enough it's enough to make you doubt even your own experience.

I'm a fan of the 3rd gen Millennium PTs as well. They just point well. I'd buy another one without hesitation. Taurus gets a lot of hate. It's a shame. Hearing all the negative comments do undermine my confidence in carrying mine even though I've put 2k+ rounds through mine without incident. I guess if you hear stuff enough it's enough to make you doubt even your own experience.

Don't doubt your own experience. I had a G19 that was a total POS. I also have a PT140 that I've owned for about 5 years with no problems. Don't get me wrong, I like a Glock, but Taurus is a fine gun, no matter what a lot of gun snobs tell you. If you really really really want the best polymer gun on the market, though, you'll buy a Springfield.

Guest TurboniumOxide

I have a G36 and it has never, ever malfunctioned on me. and I have mag extensions on all 4 of my mags, and I have shot all kinds of ammo with it. It has to be one of the first manufactured. It's my carry weapon, and I train with it all the time and I get good groups. My dad has a taurus P92 and he thinks it is better just because the glock is polymer. He has all sorts of problems with it FTF, stovepipe no matter what ammo he uses. The thing is that the polymer being almost indestructible and definitely not biodegradable, the frame will probably outlast the slide (or any other metal part).

btw... since they were introduced we have sent 50-60 Taurus Millenniums back for warranty repair. In 18 years we haven't sent a Glock back... If a Glock quits its because of the shooter or the ammo.

Now saying that I'll sell ya either... and Taurus has a lifetime warrantee... I guarantee if ur a shooter you will use it several times.

Guest jos2f

With the exception of some throwaway guns, most guns on the market today are going to do what you need when you need it. An XD, Sig, Glock all will perform wonderfully. My folks have a Taurus revolver that has never had a problem, and I've heard good things about the newer Millennium's.

It all turns into a personal preference imo

stay away from the Glock 36. i had one. same issues as posted by Dobervol. constant jamming, would hang up on shell ejection, would hang up on feeding, over all just a piece of ****. i got rid of that thing and got a 33. now i have the 27 and love that one. i have the 22 mag with the extension and it works just fine.

they had a problem with a run of mags when they 1st came out(years ago)... they fixed it pretty quick. Other then that all the rest of the F2F's I have seen with the 36 were due to limp wristing. You really have to hold some of the 40's and 45's tight, honestly thats about the only drawback to the Glock... some just cant shoot them.

Edited by GLOCKMEISTER