Which state is it?

Guest smithandwesson

Guest smithandwesson

There is a state or states in America that consider your vehicle as an extension of your home, therefor you are allowed to carry loaded handguns in your vehicle but I dont know which state or states they are. Does anyone here know which states and what exactly that law says? I would like to see this in Tennessee.

Maybe it would help cut down some of the car jackings that have been happening. The other night a couple was doing their laundry on Woodland across from St. Marys and were robbed, they woman was shot twice and ended up dying at the hospital. If the guy would have been armed maybe it would have helped, even if the woman was still shot he could have got a couple of bad guys off the street maybe.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
I thought Virginia was one, but I'm not positive.

In VA you can OC without a permit, subsequently you can have a loaded handgun in your car without a permit as long as it is in plain view.

Guest trikerjay

one is arizona. born and raised there up until a year and a half ago. anyway it is the castle doctrine. in arizona it covers the car. if you can have it in your house you can have it in your car. loaded and ready to roll. you can open carry without a permit also. i used to open carry on my motorcycle and pretty much everywhere i went. moving here was quite a shock.(gun laws and high taxes) i asked many questions about gun laws before moving here...exept ones i thought were a shoe in type questions...i was wrong. i should have asked. hell i was used to loading up all my mags the night before going shooting. here you get in trouble for a loaded rifle...stupid. :koolaid: not that i am complaining...this is my home now. i will have to deal with it.

later jay

Guest abailey362
Is a RV considered your home?

I would think that when parked at night or if staying in one location for a while, it would fall under same rules as hotels, but when driving down the road it would be classified as a motor vehicle and those laws would apply.

Guest ridgerunner

New Mexico, open carry with a few exceptions such as Fed Buildings, schools, etc. Loaded carry in vehicle permitted. The vehicle is considered an extension of the home. Of course, even though legal, if you're carrying openly in public you will probably attract the attention of the constabulary and be questioned as to your reasons.

Edited by ridgerunner
information
Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I wish we had Vermonts law.:P

I like VT if all states were like that. But since they are not, I like AKs just a bit better since they are basically like VT, but they do issue permits so their residents can carry in other states.

Guest bigsack

In GA your car is also considered an extension of your home. so it is legal to carry a loaded weapon in your car, but i think it is supposed to remain open.

In GA your car is also considered an extension of your home. so it is legal to carry a loaded weapon in your car, but i think it is supposed to remain open.

Or in a closed glove box.

Not under seat.

Has to require 2 or more motions to retrieve the pistol. Under seat would be one motion.

At least that was the GA law 8 years ago.

• 1 month later...
Guest packing45heat

I live in Georgia and they changed the law last year to allow carry of a loaded firearm in your car without a permit as long as it is legal for you to possess a firearm in the first place. And it does not have to be out in the open anymore.

I think you are thinking about states that extend the “Castle Doctrine†or “Castle Law†to your car. There are many of them, but that doesn’t mean you get a free pass to carry a gun.

Sure it would be great if Tennessee recognized the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> amendment as an individual right; but then they couldn’t stick you for $115. :up:

Sure it would be great if Tennessee recognized the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> amendment as an individual right; but then they couldn’t stick you for $115. :up:

Sure they could. Just change the permit to a conceal carry permit and let anyone who wants to carry openly