• AK-47
    • SA-58
    • L85A1

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the poll it says "AR-15"... isn't that the semi-auto designation of the M-16 platform?

Is this poll Class III true Assault Weapons, or meant for a roll call of Semi Auto versions of military rifles?

(I own no class III... and sometimes, late at night, I... I... weep over that fact. :) )

Why dont we cut out the petty bs and answer the man's question. Yes, we all know "assault rifle" means a select fire. Yes, we all know a "clip" is not that thing that holds cartridges in a handgun.

I own an AR and love it. I put mine together and one of the virtues of it is that an idiot (like me) can do it easily. I can't say the same about an AK. But an AK is somewhere down my wish list too, esp a kewl underfolder with nice wood foregrip.

I'm not sure why the M1 carbine was left off. That is the original "assault weapon" in this country, probably the second most popular long gun in history.

Sorry...

I own an *AR (16" w/ Collapsible stock, A1 upper... about ten years old now.) and my

wife owns an AK (Egytian Maddi version).

*Currently investigating SBR'ing it with a 10.25" Flat-Top Upper.

(Plans are to buy a couple more AR Lowers.)

Guest Fred LE FI

AR15 is my SHTF gun. I've got 5 in different configurations. I respect the AK and have had a couple over the years. I also like the M1A variants.

In the end, with the whole package - carbine, ammo, support stuff, etc figured in - it's the AR for me.

Fred

Why dont we cut out the petty bs and answer the man's question. Yes, we all know "assault rifle" means a select fire. Yes, we all know a "clip" is not that thing that holds cartridges in a handgun.

I own an AR and love it. I put mine together and one of the virtues of it is that an idiot (like me) can do it easily. I can't say the same about an AK. But an AK is somewhere down my wish list too, esp a kewl underfolder with nice wood foregrip.

I'm not sure why the M1 carbine was left off. That is the original "assault weapon" in this country, probably the second most popular long gun in history.

Easy there old man, we dont want you having a stroke. :)

Actually, I think my point is VERY valid.

Here's why:

Its bad enough that idiot anti-gun freaks along with half of our elected officials in Washington call a black rifle (normally) chambered in .223rem an "Assault Rifle"

Its even worse is when a pro-gun forum such as ours allow the same mistake. :down:

Someone that that works in the gun industry like yourself , should understand that we are here to service, train, and educate members on both sides of the assault rifle fence.

Misconceptions, fear, and the classification of the guns mentioned in this thread as "Assault Rifles" led to the first AWB.

We need to call firearms by their rightful name and make sure we educate EVERYONE as we fight HR 1022.

**a quick inventory of my shop turned up 31 "Evil Black Rifles" or "Assault Rifles" for sale, so I hope you can understand that this subject is very near and dear to my heart.

Dont we have a multiple selection option for polls?

I voted:

AK (AK74 5.45x39 is being built as we speak)

AR (several)

SA58/FAL (DSA built OSW FAL)

and I guess I could almost claim ownership of a L85, since I own around 800 bucks worth of Hecker and Koch magazines :)

Guest ETS_Inc

Sadly enough, the only semi-auto rifle I own is an AR-15. (Of course, it's the only rifle, semi or otherwise, that I own privately. The business owns quite a few, but that's another story altogether.)

(Another sad fact is I personally only own two handguns, and no shotguns. I admit it, I only own three guns myself. But, I have access to some really fun ones.)

Oh, and I stand firmly with Joe on the issue of correct terminology. If those of us who know better allow ourselves, or our friends, to use improper terms, then those who'd oppose us have an easier job of convincing the fence-sitters. Let's face it, people get impressions from the words we use. Terms like assault rifle have been known to be misused, and not to our benefit. The anti-gun crowd uses the term to scare the sheep into believing that a semi-automatic rifle that has a militaristic appearance is inherently evil and needs to be banned. It's been done before, and could easily be done again. Don't make their task any easier. In fact, make it tougher, by using the proper terminology. Especially those of us in the gun business. Do we really want to deal with the types of restrictions on our businesses as imposed under the failed '94 AWB?

Isn't/wasn't the L85 made by Enfield? Are there even any transferrable or semi-auto copies on this side of the Atlantic?

Regardless... The A1 version was purported to be plagued with reliability issues, I wouldn't put it in the top 10 of any list. The A2 was 'fixed' by H&K, and was reported to be better.

H&K seems to get alot of business fixing other manufacturer's designs...

Yeah, the L85A1 was the buggy, problem ridden, and unreliable Enfield version. H&K did wonders getting into it's current mostly serviceable condition with the L85A2. I've said for years that the British should have stuck with their L1A1's or bought G36's.

Guest Ross Mccathren

i was about to make that a choice too