What happened to Colin Powell?

Leroy, very well said because it is accurate. Hopefully, the Republicans can point to the current California experience and extrapolate it to a national scale...the electorate, and their representatives in government, cannot vote for entitlements without taking the responsibility to pay for them. The average citizen knows that, but the average citizen also holds down a job and makes responsible financial decisions. Government by fiscally irresponsible, Democrats or Republicans, will lead to the same failed results. The "garbage in, garbage out" principal applies to government as it does to everything else!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dean_JC78
If it were wrong, Barack Obama would not be in the White House. The Dems would not have a majority in the House and Senate. The voters clearly showed they are all for big government.

That is not true at all. Obama won by running to the RIGHT of McCain. Poll after poll shows Americans do not want big govt and most lean to the right. The GOP lost because it had shifted to far to the left with super moderate guys like Bush and McCain. Powell has like 1-2 issues that he agrees with the GOP but on the rest he is left wing.

I think I am going to start calling myself a 'moderate' Democrat since I might have 1 or 2 minor issues I agree with them on.

• 1 month later...
Guest SUNTZU

Powell airs doubts on Obama agenda - Washington Times

Powell airs doubts on Obama agenda

Colin Powell, one of President Obama's most prominent Republican supporters, expressed concern Friday that the president's ambitious blitz of costly initiatives may be enlarging the size of government and the federal debt too much.

"I'm concerned at the number of programs that are being presented, the bills associated with these programs and the additional government that will be needed to execute them," Mr. Powell said in an excerpt of an interview with CNN's John King, released by the network Friday morning.

Mr. Powell, a retired U.S. army general who rose to political prominence after a long and accomplished military career, said that health care reform and many of Mr. Obama's other initiatives are "important" to Americans.

But, he said, "one of the cautions that has to be given to the president -- and I've talked to some of his people about this -- is that you can't have so many things on the table that you can't absorb it all."

"And we can't pay for it all," said Mr. Powell, who was the first African-American to serve as secretary of state, under former President George W. Bush. He was also national security adviser to President Reagan, and was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under President George H.W. Bush from 1989 to 1993.

Mr. Powell was considered a possible Republican presidential candidate as early as 1996, and in 2007 he donated the maximum amount allowed to Sen. John McCain, the Arizona Republican who won the GOP primary. But less than a month before last fall's general election, Mr. Powell endorsed Mr. Obama over Mr. McCain.

Mr. Powell's comments represent the growing concern that began with hard-line fiscal conservatives but is now spreading to moderates about the rate of government spending and debt under President Obama, and the long-term impact on the country's fiscal sustainability and national security.

The national debt stands currently at $11.5 trillion and the deficit for the current fiscal year is projected to be close to $2 trillion.

Mr. Powell expressed alarm at "budgets that are running into the multi-trillions of dollars" and "a huge, huge national debt that, if we don't pay for in our lifetime, our kids and grandkids and great-grandchildren will have to pay for it."

"So, I think the president, as he moves forward with his initiatives, has to start really taking a very, very hard look at what the cost of all this is. And, how much additional bureaucracy [will] be needed to make all of this happen?" Mr. Powell said.

Mr. Powell said he has been in touch with Mr. Obama regularly, including recently.

"I don't insert myself. But, we stay in touch," he said.

Mr. King prompted Mr. Powell's comments by showing him video archive footage of Mr. Powell's comments at the 1996 Republican Convention in San Diego, where Mr. Powell talked about his opposition to big government.

"The federal government has become too large and too intrusive in our lives," Mr. Powell said then. "We can no longer afford solutions to our problems that result in more entitlements, higher taxes to pay for them, more bureaucracy to run them, and fewer results to show for it."

Mr. Powell said that now that he still believes what he said then, but that he would put it in different terms now.

"I don't like slogans anymore like 'limited government.' That's not the right answer. The right answer is, give me a government that works," he said. "Keep it as small as possible. Keep the tax burden on the American people as small as possible, but at the same time, have government that is solving the problems of the people."

The full interview will air on CNN's "State of the Union with John King" on Sunday, July 5.

I am in awe. PURE GENIUS!

I am in awe. PURE GENIUS!
," Mr. Powell said then. "We can no longer afford solutions to our problems that result in more entitlements, higher taxes to pay for them, more bureaucracy to run them, and fewer results to show for it."

Mr. Powell said that now that he still believes what he said then, but that he would put it in different terms now.

"I don't like slogans anymore like 'limited government.' That's not the right answer. The right answer is, give me a government that works," he said. "Keep it as small as possible. Keep the tax burden on the American people as small as possible, but at the same time, have government that is solving the problems of the people."

You are witnessing the birth of an interesting political beast; the first African-American "Reagan Republican" candidate for president in 2012. My problem with Colin Powell is that today's truth is tomorrow's lie. I can't wait to see what comes next!!

Kind regards,

LEROY

For what its worth: ... remember the famous quote from Granny Hawkins at the general store near the river in the great Eastwood movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales":

"I think all that big talk aint worth spit!" -- Granny Hawkins, General Store Proprietor and Ferry Owner

Powell seems to be on nobody's side, just taking pot shots from the sidelines, no matter what administration is in the whitehouse. I'd rather vote Constitution party than either Dem or Rep. It's just more of the same old, same old.

Powell is a self-serving opportunist of the political class. He is on his side; no one else's. He is interested in being thought of as an "elder statesman" and covets the adulation of the inside the beltway political class. No character, no belief system, no set of principles. He worships the god of self. He is a dangerous man (like about 90% of the rest of the political class).

That's the way i see it.

Kind regards,

LEROY

"Americans are looking for more government in their life, not less," Powell said last week.

The Associated Press: Cheney backs Limbaugh over Powell on GOP future

May 2009

"Colin Powell, one of President Obama's most prominent Republican supporters, expressed concern Friday that the president's ambitious blitz of costly initiatives may be enlarging the size of government and the federal debt too much."

Powell airs doubts on Obama agenda - Washington Times

July 2009

What a difference a couple of months makes when you have "shifting standards." :hat:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smith viewpost.gif

Nothing happened to him. He's just being who he's always been. Liberals can only hide so long.

Just like Gov. Bredesen, showed his true colors.

What a truth!! You are exactly right.

LEROY