Alexander sponsors anti gun bill

Guest 2HOW

Guest 2HOW

Sen. Alexander is Sponsoring a Bill That Will Result in a National Anti-gun Database

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert

8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102,

Springfield, VA 22151Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-408

http://www.gunowners.org

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Do you know what your supposedly "Republican" senator is doing right now?

First, if you followed the vote-tracking link in our alert yesterday,you might have noticed that Sen. Lamar Alexander of Tennessee was the ONLY Republican to vote against repealing the National Parks Service gunban.

Is this not outrageous! In voting to retain the NPS gun ban, Sen. Alexander has shown he doesn't trust you with your guns outside of your home.

And, as if that is not bad enough, it turns out he is also leading the"hit parade" on behalf of legislation which would expand the scope ofgovernment in a way unprecedented in human history -- and which would place your most private medical data into an anti-gun database.

Hard to believe?

But there he is: Sen. Alexander is right up there with certifiable liberals like left wing Oregon Democrat Ron Wyden and left wing Michigan Democrat Debbie Stabenow.

The bill is S. 391, and it is being pushed by some Republicans as analternative to the Health Care Gun Ban that we've been warning you about.

S. 391 does a hodgepodge of things, but by far the most important one ist o "solve" the problem of 48 million uninsured by taking away the right of Americans not to purchase government-approved insurance.

If you are uninsured, you would have to buy health insurance, whether you can afford it or not. If your employer is not unionized, he would have to retool your employer-provided health insurance policy to comply with government requirements.

If your employer cannot afford government-approved insurance with all of the politically correct bells and whistles, too bad. His only legal alternative is to fire you.

If you cannot afford government-approved insurance, too bad.

If you have to lose your home -- or your small business -- or your kids'college fund -- in order to pay for government-approved insurance, too bad.

And like the Massachusetts system on which it is modeled, the federally mandated insurance would inexorably revolve around a federal database of medical information that you could not opt out of.

So, remember when your kid's pediatrician asked him about your gun collection? Or when you grandfather was diagnosed with a mental disability which could disqualify him from owning a gun?

All of that will be in the federal database, which could be searched by virtually anyone in the Department of Health and Human Services -- and by BATF, by simple request.

And, although section 103 of S. 391 purports to allow you to keep the coverage you have, all employer-provided insurance which you wish tokeep has to be rewritten to contain all the government-required mandates-- or you're not allowed to keep it.

ACTION:

Contact Senator Alexander and urge him to remove his cosponsorship from S. 391. Please use his webform at http://alexander.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.Home

to do so (you can copy and paste the following text or type your own).

----- Pre-written letter -----

Dear Senator Alexander:

In connection with S. 391 -- the Wyden-Stabenow individual insurancemandate -- apparently some people are under the delusional notion that this bill is something other than the biggest government interference int he private sector in American history.

This crazy bill would put government bureaucrats in the position of dictating the contents of virtually every insurance policy in the country -- with the sole conspicuous exception of unionized industries with collective bargaining agreements.

This bill would result in all kinds of personal information being put into a medical database. Across the nation, there have been reports that pediatricians are asking kids about their parents' gun collection. And military veterans who have been diagnosed with PTSD have already been disqualified from owning guns.

All of this information will be in the federal database, which could be searched by virtually anyone in the Department of Health and Human Services -- and by the FBI and the BATFE, by simple request.

Please do not saddle America with a massive open-ended bill like S. 391.

In short, please remove your cosponsorship from S. 391.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Swamprunner

Won't do any good, I've sent him a number of letters, and he DOES NOT REPLY. At least Corker will. The man in the plaid shirt is personna non grata to me. Period.:koolaid:

Guest SUNTZU

Who in TN is in support of this bill? There were two counties that were blue during the election, IIRC. This guy must grab some paper and mix up a glass of benefiber and water and wait for a bill to be written. Anyone here think that this "insurance" is a good thing?

Guest Rick O'Shay

It has been coming for a long time; I am DONE with the Republicans. As far as I am concerned they are the Demolite party. This past election cycle I voted for McCain because I didn't want to dilute my vote, but I am now DONE with them. Whether I go to the Constitution or Libertarian party I haven't decided yet, but I can't realistically see voting for these s***heads again.

Guest TurboniumOxide

I agree completely with Rick. The politicians are going crazy, they are forgetting who actually holds the power in this country. I am thinking about starting the "Pitchfork and Torch" party...

Guest mustangdave
The politicians are going crazy, they are forgetting who actually holds the power in this country.

Unfortunately THEY know exactly who holds the power in this country...Big Business...Unions...Special Interest Groups...its all about the $$$ WE THE PEOPLE doesn't mean a hill of beans to em

The real answer to the dilemma that most pro-gun Tennesseeans find themselves in with regard to Alexander is that he is a great polititian who has friends on both sides of the gun spectrum all over Tennessee. He is a "home-boy" here in East Tennessee who has very sucessfully patterned his political career after Howard Baker. On the darker side; he is politically very ruthless when the is able to be, and has no quams about crushing his opposition using whatever methods are at his disposal to do so -- he decimated the highway construction contractors in Tennessee (who were for the most part Democrat) while not bothering to prosecute the Republican contractors in East Tennessee who were doing the same thing as the Dems. in the early eighties when he was governor. This was done for two reasons; first, it was popular to bash contractors; secondly, it was a political payback to the Dems. for backing this opponent in the Gubanatorial race. In summary, Lamar Alexander brought political payback to a height in Tennessee that I had never seen before -- he is a very serious and vindictive man.

Alexander is a master of playing to the audience he is courting. He is tied to the political movers and shakers in Tennessee, the educational lobby, the tree-hugging lobby, the real conservationists lobby; and it would appear to the insurance lobby. Lamar Alexander is a polititian and an elitist first. That means he, and he alone, is qualifited to determine what the constitution says (read that "should say") and He has made the calculation that the gun owner will swallow hard and still vote for him because of his passed voting record; and he is right for the most part.

Sadly, Lamar Alexander is not the only duly elected official sent to Washington by the people that feels that way. Always remember, Washington is made up of about 90% polititians and crooks, and about 10% real people.

The best way to beat Lamar Alexander, or at least make him mind, is to back a highly qualified real republican who is pro freedom and pro constitution in the Republican Primaries. I'm convinced that there are some out there. When they appear; we need to back them with both talk and MONEY.

Lamar Alexander worships the god of power and money; that means he will be responsive to those who can furnish that to him. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

• 2 weeks later...