Civilians are next?

I hope this isn't a repost. I did a few searches, but didn't come up with anything.

This was sent to me in an email, so some of you may or may not have already had a chance to read it. It looks official, but you never know these days.

Do any of you military folks know anything about this?

FORWARDED AS RECEIVED . .. . .NOW IT BEGINS...

Register Guns

ALL ACTIVE DUTY MEMBERS HEADS UP!!!!

<HR align=center width="100%" SIZE=1>

Gentlemen,

I am an 11B currently assigned at FortCampbell . I live off post, with my firearms (which I don't bring on post for any reason). A very frightening thing happened at work yesterday. I was ordered to fill out a list containing my firearm information. This included make, model, caliber, and serial number of all firearms I currently posses. In addition, I was also required to list registration information, location of all weapons individually, and information regarding any CCW permits I posses. If you are like me, then the people you work with know you have firearms. So I had to list at least some. I tried to talk to my 1sg (who is normally approachable through proper channels) to find out what this is for, and I was basically told, ". . . . Just put your info on the form." I don't know how high this goes, but I am hearing that this is going on in other units at FortCampbell as well. It just seems a little coincidental to me that within 90 days: the most anti-firearm President in history is inaugurated, some of the nastiest anti-firearm laws are put on the table in Washington, and then the Army comes around wanting what amounts to a registration on all firearms, even if they are off post, and doesn't provide any reason or purpose as to why. I fear something really nasty is blowing in the wind here. I have been in almost 8 years, and never have any of my units asked for this information. If any of you out there have any info as to what all this crap is about please chime in. Otherwise consider yourself warned. I have already posted this on every other firearm forum I am a member of to get the word out.

Here it is folks.

att1.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes more sense. I think. I guess giving up your rights is part of what it takes if you want to serve your country while living on base.

If you've ever lived on base and read the signs, you know that you do give up quite a few rights merely by entering.

disclaimer: I was never in the armed forces, (wanted to, but was turned down - stupid arthritis), but I spent the first 17 years of my life living on military bases around this country and around the world.

If you've ever lived on base and read the signs, you know that you do give up quite a few rights merely by entering.

disclaimer: I was never in the armed forces, (wanted to, but was turned down - stupid arthritis), but I spent the first 17 years of my life living on military bases around this country and around the world.

I know all too well. I make deliveries to the base on a regular basis. It's not ideal, but the MP's try to make it as painless as possible. Just doing their jobs.

I spent 5 1/2 years in the AF, living on base is great in one way and sucks in another.

You loose a lot of rights living on base, but you get reant and utility free housing, 3 squares a day, and if the SHTF and you are on a SAC base you probally will have no worries, they would be the first taken out.:tinfoil:

if the SHTF and you are on a SAC base you probally will have no worries, they would be the first taken out.:tinfoil:

When I was in high school, my fellow military brats and I used to joke about that. We figured there was no point in worrying about WWIII / The Bomb, as we likely wouldn't even know that it had started, much less ended.

When I was in high school, my fellow military brats and I used to joke about that. We figured there was no point in worrying about WWIII / The Bomb, as we likely wouldn't even know that it had started, much less ended.

About the size of it. I spent 3 years at Fairchild AFB in Wa state, We knew we would be the first taken out since we were the closest SAc base to USSR.

The story is true, but it was a single Captain who over stepped his authority, and the order was revoked by his chain of command.

This is the case of a single officer over stepping his authority, and it was worked out in short order.

The story is true, but it was a single Captain who over stepped his authority, and the order was revoked by his chain of command.

This is the case of a single officer over stepping his authority, and it was worked out in short order.

Do you have a link to that info? I'd like to pass it on.

I was in the US Navy (1986-1989) at Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico. Possessing guns on base was a no-no, they have to be secured at the base arsenal.

What is the rule at Ft. Campbell?

The memo for "Choppin Soldiers" , is that for all soldiers? Or just those on-base? What is "Choppin"? I assume an infantry regt?

Can weapons be possessed in on-base housing at Ft. Campbell?

Current policy dictates that if you live in the Barracks then all personal weapons are to be kept at the armory. Chopin is one division at Ft. Campbell. Their captain sent the memo to their people way before he was asked to.

If you live in base housing a la you are married and have kids then you must register them on base but may keep them in your home.

If you live off base whether you are married or not then the don't ask don't tell policy takes affect.

Thanks!

Looked closer to the memo and was addressed for a certain company within an infantry regiment (about 120-200) soldiers. The memo does not address barracks soldiers, on-base housing soldiers, but "All soldiers". Why have the memo for on-base soldiers when current orders from the base commander asks the information?

I may be way off base, IMHO, the lowly company commander is being used as a guinei pig to test the reaction and see if the NRA will get involved.

Guest colombianito1021

ok, i am in the same battalion just a different company as where this got started (Bco 3-187 INF REGT.) we did get this letter and it is because of all the suicides. they want to know who has what. its pretty stupid but a lot of soldiers are committing suicide. This is a way to see who is at high risk...

Thanks!

Looked closer to the memo and was addressed for a certain company within an infantry regiment (about 120-200) soldiers. The memo does not address barracks soldiers, on-base housing soldiers, but "All soldiers". Why have the memo for on-base soldiers when current orders from the base commander asks the information?

I may be way off base, IMHO, the lowly company commander is being used as a guinei pig to test the reaction and see if the NRA will get involved.

I know that when you join the military you agree to forfeit some rights like freedom of speech, (can't speak negativly about your commanders etc.) and privacy rights on base but the soldier is still an American citizen and his/her home and property off base is still protected by the Constitution. Besides that, their off base home is sometimes shared by their spouses or parents who are not in the military and they can't legally infringe upon their rights. Private firearm ownership off base is none of the military's business. Granted they might think it is.

Guest colombianito1021
but its just for guys living on base... right?

Negative. EVERYBODY had to fill it out. From PVT's to CPT's. We all had to fill that stupid sheet out.

Guest mustangdave

This made the evening news about a month or so ago...Ft Campbell even came out and said it pertained to personnel living ON BASE in Gov't quarters. It was a "mistake" that EVERYONE had to fill the form out.