ACT NOW!!!! BILLS MOVING TODAY 5-18-09 PARKS AND CARRY IN VEHICLE

HB0390/AND SB0578... CARRY IN VEHICLE

SB0976/HB0716... PARKS

THESE ARE BOTH BEING VOTED ON TODAY IN THE HOUSE AND SENATE... SO DONT STOP NOW CONTACT YOUR SEN/REP ABOUT BOTH OF THEM AND URGE THEIR PASSAGE. WE DONT NEED TO RELAXE BECAUSE WE HAVE GOTTEN THE OTHER BILLS PASSED... THESE ARE JUST AS IMPORTANT IN THE BIG SCHEME OF THINGS.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Khitan

Called my Rep (Jim Coley) and left a message for him that I want these to pass, that wont be a problem with him. My Senator (James Kyle) on the other hand will probably be an issue.

I swear I think I may just run against Mr. Kyle next time.

Guest HexHead

Well, the Senate anyway. I just got this reply from my Rep. ....

"HB 390 passed the House on March 19 and HB 716 passed the House April 20."

Senate Floor Session starts at 5:00 Nashville time. The Handgun Bills are on the Regular Calendar.

8. SB0976 by *Beavers, *Faulk, *Crowe. (*HB0716 by *Niceley, *Fincher, *Watson, *Johnson C, *Dean, *Rich, *Cobb J, *Evans, *Carr, *Hill, *Todd, *Faulkner, *Lollar, *Campfield, *Bell, *Kelsey, *Swafford, *Hensley, *Bass, *McCormick, *Weaver.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, allows any resident who has a valid handgun carry permit to possess a handgun while within the boundaries of any state park. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13 and Title 70.

Summary for SB0976

S. FW&M Comm. 6-3-0

22. SB0578 by *Jackson, *Crowe, *Gresham. (*HB0390 by *Fincher, *Evans, *Lollar, *Roach, *Ford , *Dean, *Todd, *Rich, *Eldridge, *Moore, *Montgomery, *Fraley, *Hensley, *Niceley, *McCormick.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, permits handgun carry permit holders to possess or carry a loaded rifle, loaded shotgun, or loaded magazine or clip therefore while in a motor vehicle. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17.

The Abstract summarizes SB0578 as introduced.

S. Jud Comm. 6-2-1

Guest stovepipe

I just spoke to Sen. McNally's office about Amendment SA00533. It does remove Wildlife Mgt Areas from the Park Carry bill. The amendment was brought to McNally's committee by Sen. Beavers, the sponsor of the bill. The reasoning is that by not removing WMA's would add (No Firearms) signage cost to the bill, likely keeping it from being passed this session. (I thought this was covered in Amendment SA00483, but evidently not)

Supposedly, there is a separate bill to include WMA's coming up soon.

Two steps forward, one step back.

What about the long gun thing?

Passed with this amendment. Basically says there can not be a round in the chamber of the rifle or shotgun unless you chambered a round to use the weapon in self-defense.

Edited by Fallguy
Passed with this amendment. Basically says there can not be a round in the chamber of the rifle or shotgun unless you chambered a round to use the weapon in self-defense.

Hopefully that will get removed from the bill before becoming law.

Edited by Fallguy
correct hyperlink

(1) Of a rifle or shotgun that does not have ammunition in the chamber or

cylinder, and a clip or magazine containing ammunition is not inserted into the

firearm;

So a shotgun can be loaded without one if the chamber, but a rifle can't even have the magazine inserted?

buk

firearm;

So a shotgun can be loaded without one if the chamber, but a rifle can't even have the magazine inserted?

buk

If I'm following the history right, it looks to me like that amendment was removed and the only one actually left as the bill was voted on is:

It is an exception to the application of this section that a person authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351, is transporting a rifle or shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle, and the rifle or shotgun does not have ammunition in the chamber. However, such a person does not violate this section by inserting ammunition into the chamber if the ammunition is inserted for purposes of justifiable self-defense pursuant to §§ 39-11-611 or 39-11-612.

firearm;

buk

That looks like the wording of Senate Amendment 2... If so you can look at the history page of the bill and see that Senate Amendment 2 was withdrawn (as was Amendment 1). It was Senate Amendment 3 that was passed as stated in a previous post.

Guest canynracer

wow...now I am thouroughly confused....tell me if I understand this correctly

1. I can have an empty chambered AR with a loaded mag on the seat....as long as the mag is not in the rifle

2. I can have 7 rounds loaded in my pump shotgun without one in the chamber.

right?

wow...now I am thouroughly confused....tell me if I understand this correctly

1. I can have an empty chambered AR with a loaded mag on the seat....as long as the mag is not in the rifle

2. I can have 7 rounds loaded in my pump shotgun without one in the chamber.

right?

The way I read Senate amendment 3 (which makes the bill) is that loaded mag can be in the AR as long as there is not a round in the chamber, just like the shotgun.

Guest Bronker
this is going to be very confusing..........

Likely the intent. It makes capitol hill feel 'useful'.

That's why I rely on Fallguy et. al for the interpretations