Any Experience with kangaroo or bellyband holsters?

Guest TheBadLuckCharm

Guest TheBadLuckCharm

does anyone have any good or bad experience with these? do any of them come with a thumb break(I am not sure if the kangaroo small does), or do they hold the gun tight ? I have a J frame.

I would be afraid the elastic would stretch out eventually in the holster part.

Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone have any good or bad experience with these? do any of them come with a thumb break(I am not sure if the kangaroo small does), or do they hold the gun tight ? I have a J frame.

I would be afraid the elastic would stretch out eventually in the holster part.

Thanks!

I've never had a Kangaroo.....but I have used belly bands for years with great results. Some come with a retention strap that goes over the gun for extra retention.....some don't. I've found that on the ones that don't, you can easily sew one on yourself.

I wear a Taurus 85 UL in mine most of the time and it's basically the same size/weight/shape as a j-frame s&w. I have had this one belly band that I wear all the time for working around the property and lounging around the house.....it's almost 10 years old and I paid $20 for it. It's a plain old 4" wide black elastic made by Action Direct (no longer makes them) and I have used the heck out of it.....washed it a hundred times at least, dried it in the drier, ironed the wrinkles out of it.......and it's still not stretched out where the gun goes. It did come with the thumb retention strap and it still holds the gun very securely....so securely in fact that the retention strap is really not needed at all, but I use it anyway, mainly because of my small son.

Pro-Tech Outdoors makes one almost just like the one I have for about $20-$25. You can usually find them along with several other brands on eBay. I bought a Desantis 5" wide band, and it's ok but not as comfortable as my old 4" one. I think the 4" is the way to go unless you want to carry a heavier gun, like a Glock or XD, then the extra inch will help keep the band from sagging with the extra weight.

Guest TheBadLuckCharm

Great Thanks, Yeah I have seen white ones at the Smyrna GunShow for 25$

Do you think I could jog with it on?

Do you have to wear an undershirt most of the time?

You can do just about anything with one on.....yes, you could jog, no problem. I never wear an undershirt with mine. I wear it right against my skin, or if my pants line is high, then sometimes over the top of my pants, or half over the pants/half over skin. Worst problem is sweating. If you sweat, the band will get wet and so will your gun.

Stainless or Titanium works best....then just take the gun out and wipe it down every night with a cloth and some oil, and let the belly band dry out. Don't worry about your ammo getting wet either.....just shoot your carry ammo every 3-6 months and reload with fresh and you'll never have a problem.

Guest putmanphoto

PackinMama - thank you for the info... I had asked about one in the past, and took your advise... I purchased one, and love it as well. Very comfortable. I work in a gun friendly office, so I OC all day, but on the weekends where I do not OC - or if I stop by the grocery on the way home, I just put it on, load up and go...

• 6 months later...
Check out the PT2 or PT1 holsters made by Pistol Wear. They are soft holsters integrated with a lower abdomen soft belt. It is for exercise or use with athletic clothing, etc. It works very well and I have no complaints. It is the best concealed carry holster that I have used. I highly recommend them. They have a website Pistol Wear - Holsters for Concealed Handguns:)

These look pretty cool! ;) They're kind of like a cross between a belly band and a smart carry. I just might try one out.......after Christmas. ;)

Welcome to TGO GG007!

I carry a S&W model 36 j-frame (steel) in an ace belly band - about 8 months EDC now - and the holster area is holding up fine - not so much with the velcro closure, though. And some elastic strands and thread breakage, which I trim with scissors.

I carry reloads on bianchi strips in the mag pockets. UMC JHP (cheap ammo) for reloads, they tarnish faster than the ammo in the cylinder.

Expect to replace the belly band every year or so.

I'm a big guy, I'm sure I stress the belly band more than you ladies will!

I'm not sure about the "pistol wear" rig....but I can draw from my belly band pretty fast. I had an aggressive looking stray dog running at me out in the woods one time. I guess he was probably about 50 yards away when I saw him. I had my gun drawn and put a shot right in front of him before he got within 20 yards of me. He turned tail and ran the other direction. (I just can't bring myself to shoot a dog if I don't have to.)

I don't have time to do a search right now because I have to get going (and I have dial-up).....but I can give you a few pointers when shopping for one.

Belly Bands are made by lots of different manufacturers....Desantis, Galco, Ace, just to name a few. They usually are found in 4", 5", and 6" widths. The heavier your gun is, the wider you want to go. I will say that I've found the 4" ones to be more comfortable (and not as hot in warm weather) as the wider ones.....but if you put a heavy gun in a 4", it will ride down on you. I carry an ultralite snubby in my 4" and it works great....my gun weighs 15oz. empty. If I wanted to carry a Glock or other Semi-Auto, I'd use a 5" or 6" for the heaviest full size guns.

Some of the bands come with a thumb retention strap, some do not. Base that decision on what you'd be more comfortable with.....I like the thumb retention myself because someone can't pull it out as easily (like my small son). Some come with a pocket area for one gun and then a mag or two, maybe even a wallet. The best ones are the ones that have the gun pocket one one side and the mag pockets on the other. That way, the weight is distributed more evenly and the band won't droop down. Some models even have two gun pockets.

I'd shop around a lot and pick one that you think will suit you're needs the best. eBay is usually a great place to find them at a reasonable price. They have a "generic" brand out there called Pro-Tech Outdoors that's usaully available on ebay.....they make some good looking ones for around $25.

I have a very old "Action Direct" 4" that I still use almost every day around the house. That company doesn't exist anymore though....at least I haven't been able to find them. I also have a DeSantis 5" that works well for my Glock 27.

Good luck finding one you like! Let us know which one you get and then be sure to tell us how you like it! :)

I've got a kangaroo pouch. it works very well. I just recenly got a mt bike & have been debating on how to carry once I get on the levee near me.

like all things, you have practice the draw. but when I first started wearing one last year, you really had to adjust until you get it just right. then mark the velcro. but after a while, if your active, you'll forget you have it on!

oh, I carry a S&W mdl 36 .38special in it.

• 1 month later...
Guest biggun215

I HATE THE BELLY BAND HOLSTER, I WORE ONE FOR ABOUT A WEEK ON PATROL AND THE GUN KEPT SLIDING OUT OF THE HOLSTER. I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST ANY ELASTIC HOLSTERS!

I've worn the same one for like 8 years now with no trouble. It's extremely worn, but still functions perfectly. Mine has a velcro retention strap to hold the gun securely. Really though, I don't think it would go anywhere without it either. You must have had a really bad one. What brand was it?

I've worn the same one for like 8 years now with no trouble. It's extremely worn, but still functions perfectly. Mine has a velcro retention strap to hold the gun securely. Really though, I don't think it would go anywhere without it either. You must have had a really bad one. What brand was it?

I've been meaning to ask if it is a PITA to go to the restroom when you wear the belly band?

I've been meaning to ask if it is a PITA to go to the restroom when you wear the belly band?

Not at all......it's actually the easiest type of rig to have to deal with in that situation, IMO. If you're wearing it low, you can just slide it up a little higher on your waist or torso to get it out of the way. I actually wear mine high anyway, so it doesn't interfere with going to the restroom at all. It stays securely in it's place.

Now, I do have problems when I'm wearing a belt with a holster. THAT is a PITA for sure! If you don't hang on to the holster, the gun can fall out or the entire holster (if it's a clip on) can fall off. It's kind of a balancing act to try to hang onto the gun and holster with one hand while taking care of everything else with the other! :doh: I guess if I carried a purse, which I don't, I could put my gun in there during the bathroom visit. Maybe I should start carrying one!

So what does everyone else do when you have to use the bathroom with a holster on your belt?