The Governors time frame

On the new carry in restaurants/bars bill the governor has 10 days to sign or it automatically becomes law. The Bill was transmitted to the Governor on 5/19 at 12:30 pm. So is it 10 consecutive days (effective 5/29) or 10 business days ( effective 6/2)? But wait there's more... Memorial day is a state recognized federal holiday would that push it to 6/3?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there are actually several threads on this, but as I am having trouble finding the most recent one I am thinking of...

It is 10 consecutive days (except Sundays) there is no mention of Holidays.

But regardless of when he signs it or the 10 days pass it does not go into effect until June 1.

Guest jos2f

Nevermind, looks like counting consecutive days minus Sundays, even if they counted Memorial day, it would expire before 6/1

Guest Ravendove

Ok, first post to the site since registration. Whee! I must be missing some information because I can't find in the bill summary on TN.gov where it says effective June 1. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Ok, first post to the site since registration. Whee! I must be missing some information because I can't find in the bill summary on TN.gov where it says effective June 1. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Here is the bill summary page.

The majority report is what was finally passed. In that it recommends Senate Amendment 1 as to what should be adopted.

June 1 is at the bottom of that amendment.

I'm assuming the legislator would still have time to over ride a veto in time for the June 1st date, that is if Bredesen sat on the bill till the 9th day then vetoed it. I don't see him pulling a stunt like that but if he did I'll volunteer to help someone in a campaign for a recall election of the Governor.

Even if Phil vetos this, the legislature will still be in nashville. They are not completing this session on time. They will be there probably through June. Plenty of time to do a over ride vote.

I don't think Bredesen wants the embarrassment of an over ride.

Even if Phil vetos this, the legislature will still be in nashville. They are not completing this session on time. They will be there probably through June. Plenty of time to do a over ride vote.

That is my understanding as well.

I don't think Bredesen wants the embarrassment of an over ride.

I hope not.

He could be just trying to let things calm down a little. Also since his day 10 is only a day or two before the effective date he can sort of keep both sides in limbo till the last moment.

Who knows...he may sign in Monday hoping the holiday and the like will keep a lot of media attention from being drawn to it.

My guess for what it's worth... Generally speaking, D's don't loose votes when voting for, or allowing a pro-gun bill to pass. But they generally do loose votes passing anti-gun or vetoing pro-gun laws.

For this reason my guess is he takes the "safe" route and allows the bill to go through without his signature.

Guest HexHead

Not if they keep going home early like they did yesterday. :)

Not if they keep going home early like they did yesterday. ;)

LOL...well think they just wanted to start their holiday weekend ASAP.

I mean if I could set my own work hours I might have Memorial Day Month instead of weekend. :)

Bredesen signed the marshal rule bill yesterday. So he's obviously not anti-gun.

I agree....never really thought he was anti at least not to the level of many.

It shows (here) he got that bill on the 12th so even on that he waited till just before his 10 days were up, so.

My guess for what it's worth... Generally speaking, D's don't loose votes when voting for, or allowing a pro-gun bill to pass. But they generally do loose votes passing anti-gun or vetoing pro-gun laws.

For this reason my guess is he takes the "safe" route and allows the bill to go through without his signature.

My gut feeling is that you are correct...on this issue, it costs the least political capital of any of his three options.

First, I've always considered myself a republican and up until last election never voted for a democrat. It changed last time. I voted for Phil Bredesen. I've got to give credit where credit is due. IMO, he's been one of the best governors Tennessee has had in my 52 years. IMO, he's kind of like John McCain in the sense that McCain's not really a republican, and while Bredesen might call himself a democrat, I think he's a conservative on most issues.

Guest HexHead

He's actually a pretty nice guy. Years ago, before he was even mayor, I sold him a home theatre setup for his home. A couple of years ago, while he was governor, I ran into him again at Home Depot buying some extension cords for his Christmas decorations, and we had a nice little chat. I was critical of some of the deals he made as Mayor, but I agree, he's been a pretty good Governor.