SIG P229R vs SIG P220R Carry

Guest Julez

I'm looking for a good carry pistol. I *love* the way the SIG Mosquito feels in my hand, however, because it's a .22 cal, it doesn't make a good carry pistol. So, I've been looking at the SIG P229R and the SIG P220R Carry. Both Pistols have close to the same dimensions as the Mosquito. The SIG P229R comes in several calibers including .357 and 9mm. THe SIG P220R Carry comes in .45 cal. I'm leaning towards the P229R simply because it comes in 9mm. However, I personally have never shot either and would like some opinions as to which is preferred.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For 9mm carry, I'd recommend the SIG P239 instead of the 229. The 229 is heavy and bulky.

My Wife just shot a friend of mine's 239 this past weekend. It was in 9mm and she fell in love with it from the first shot. :( (She had been shooting my HK USP Compact in .357sig.) It didn't take her long to putting them where she wanted them. She remarked on the way home it was one of the few pistols that she has shot that just "Felt Right" in her hand.

I'm hoping to get her one in a couple of months if all goes well.

(I really like the 239 as well, and almost bought one in .357sig... but then

I found a deal on the HK and went with it. It some ways I would still like to

have a Sig239 in .357sig.)

I could help you with that... Mine's for-sale. :up:

Thanks "Molonlabetn"! I'm hoping to be in better shape to buy things in a couple of months. If I come walking in the door with anything except a 239 9mm for my wife... she'll have my hide to door in no time. :( <-(Favorite smiley BTW) And I have looked at your Sig posting... a couple of times! :rofl: To be honest, I'm surprised you are selling it.

If all goes well I'm hoping to get her a 239 9mm, a couple of AR lowers (for my boys) and thinking of SBR'ing my AR. (Still investigating everything on the SBR. Trying to decide what I want how best to 'Get there'.) There are a couple of things on "my list" that I am wanting.

My Wife just shot a friend of mine's 239 this past weekend. It was in 9mm and she fell in love with it from the first shot. :) (She had been shooting my HK USP Compact in .357sig.) It didn't take her long to putting them where she wanted them. She remarked on the way home it was one of the few pistols that she has shot that just "Felt Right" in her hand.

I'm hoping to get her one in a couple of months if all goes well.

(I really like the 239 as well, and almost bought one in .357sig... but then

I found a deal on the HK and went with it. It some ways I would still like to

have a Sig239 in .357sig.)

That's exactly how I felt when I held the Mosquito for the first time. I also like the P229 Elite with the custom rosewood grips but $1000 was just a bit much for me. I wouldn't mind taking a look at that P239 though. I still need a good 9mm. :D I went to the gunshop yesterday afternoon and looked at the SIG P226, P229 Elite, and P220. But the price range was just a little high. So I ended up getting a .45cal Desert Eagle (aka The Baby Eagle). The grip feels almost as good as the Mosquito. I was having a hard time deciding between it and the P226. The deal breaker was when I racked the slide. I compared the "feel" of "racking the slide" to the P226, and there was no contest. The Desert Eagle felt like a well oiled machine. It moved almost effortlessly. After that I fell in love! :stir: Unfortunately, the stupid computer system is down and who knows just how long I'm gonna have to wait before I get to try it out!!!! :)

Julie, so YOU are the one who bought my Mosquito!!! :stir:

I looked seriously at that thing every time I hit the shop. It's a truly handsome pistol.

I couldn't really justify buying it because I have a Buckmark that I really like. I wondered who bought it.

I've never shot a Baby Eagle, but I know they feel good in my hand.

Julie, so YOU are the one who bought my Mosquito!!! :)

I looked seriously at that thing every time I hit the shop. It's a truly handsome pistol.

I couldn't really justify buying it because I have a Buckmark that I really like. I wondered who bought it.

I've never shot a Baby Eagle, but I know they feel good in my hand.

Nope, wasn't me, they actually have 3 in stock right now :D I keep eyeballing them every time I go in there. I fell in love with Mosquito the first time I held it, and now every time I go into the shop, I have to fondle it. I'm just not satisfied until I've *touched* it. :stir: I'm also thinking that since I have recently sold my S&W .22cal that there is now an open slot in my ever growing collection!!! I also need a 9mm of my very own. So I'm thinking of the SIG P239, P220 Carry or the P229. Haven't made a decision as to which I want just yet though.

Are you going to call them daily to see if the Instant Check thing is back up and running? If so, please post here and let us know when it is. :D

Just got off the phone with the guy @ Gunslinger's. He said the computers are back up, but of course there is a back log so they are only clearing a couple names at a time. So, I still don't have the "all clear" to go pick up my new pistol. He did say that if it doesn't come through today, it should definitely come through tomorrow!!! :woohoo: